Peterborough North

great northern

With only a maximum of f8 to play with, I would avoid using the zoom at all costs Gilbert. Regarding Austerity muck, it was difficult to clean these machines if they had been neglected for a while. Lots of classes got grimy through the environment but the Austerities seemed to generate muck all of their own!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good old workaday pics Gilbert. Improvement to lamps = first class.

I really liked WDs for some strange reason. In the 'good old days' I can remember overtaking them (in a train I hasten to add) in almost every loop between London and Donny and being really pi**ed off with mostly not being able to see the numbers because they were just so filthy and I was short sighted anyway.

The noise inside that station 'shed' when something like this went through must have been wonderful, especially if the driver closed (loose gear knock) or opened  (exhaust + taught connecting rod 'boing') the reg, + all those wagons.......

Slightly OT but when I was in Wolsztyn a few years back I asked (in best Polish of course) how they  'bulled up' their loco's. Spray them with diesel fuel is what I was told; good grief.
Quack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really liked WDs for some strange reason. In the 'good old days' I can remember overtaking them (in a train I hasten to add) in almost every loop between London and Donny and being really pi**ed off with mostly not being able to see the numbers because they were just so filthy and I was short sighted anyway.

The noise inside that station 'shed' when something like this went through must have been wonderful, especially if the driver closed (loose gear knock) or opened  (exhaust + taught connecting rod 'boing') the reg, + all those wagons.......

Slightly OT but when I was in Wolsztyn a few years back I asked (in best Polish of course) how they  'bulled up' their loco's. Spray them with diesel fuel is what I was told; good grief.

Quack.

So cleaning isn't that much different from BR days then - the norm then was paraffin I believe.

I can well remember WDs  further north clanking through Riccall on freight trains that seemed to go on forever, very distinct contrast with A4s on the fast fitted freights!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"So cleaning isn't that much different from BR days then - the norm then was paraffin I believe."

Was that the 'oily rag' routine then? Suppose they used the same stuff that went in lamps? (Esso Blue or that pink stuff?)

Strangely obtuse really; when those diesel things came in, to clean them they just squirted them with water (with a bit of Daz added).

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"So cleaning isn't that much different from BR days then - the norm then was paraffin I believe."

Was that the 'oily rag' routine then? Suppose they used the same stuff that went in lamps? (Esso Blue or that pink stuff?)

Strangely obtuse really; when those diesel things came in, to clean them they just squirted them with water (with a bit of Daz added).

Quack.

Ideally the cleaning mix had a drop of oil in it so I've been told - but paraffin was a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quack.

Given the speed at which WD's usually progressed, and the time they spent waiting the road. you could probably have overtaken them on foot Phil.

• Like 1

A lovely bit of Loco weathering as usual it's got that nice oily sheen but at the risk of being ex-communicated or worse (directed to a modern traction post!!!!!!!!!!!!@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I think the central 4' and general sleepers in the area where locos stop and stand just needs some gloss black/metalcote brushing in fairly well, I may have talked myself into a job for my next visit which we must schedule, I feel a need to run a certain B1.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, having just read your piece in Model Rail I was wondering what was around your lococos in the stock shelf photo. It looks like foam. Does it surround the loco or is it fixed inside the square compartment?

It's those Peco loco lifts Alan. They are ideal for getting things to and from the stock boxes, but it is an expensive solution. My usual idleness results in my getting more when I can afford to, rather than looking at ways of making something that would do the job more cheaply.

Gilbert,

Don't worry about the missing tarmac along the front of the station, it's been sorted.

Paston Ridings is not a thousand miles from Peterborough North and I've arranged a team of lads who generally work wherever even on nights I was wondering what copper cable might have to do with tarmacing a station forecourt though?

On Moi Choild's life sur' twas not me.

The boys from the black stuff down Ancaster way.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Don't worry about the missing tarmac along the front of the station, it's been sorted.

Paston Ridings is not a thousand miles from Peterborough North and I've arranged a team of lads who generally work wherever even on nights I was wondering what copper cable might have to do with tarmacing a station forecourt though?

On Moi Choild's life sur' twas not me.

The boys from the black stuff down Ancaster way.

So that's why my signals don't work. :threaten:

• Like 5

Gets better all the time Gilbert. Those station nameboards look smashing, though I trust they are not inkjet prints like mine otherwise you can say goodbye to them in a few months time. Agreed about that B17, it looks a terrifc model from any angle and is a real credit to Hornby. Question is, will we be able to say that about the DOG?

Edited by coachmann

Agreed about that B17, it looks a terrifc model from any angle and is a real credit to Hornby. Question is, will we be able to say that about the DOG?

I'll agree with you about the B17 as they're a real pleasure to work on (I've got at least another three to work on in the fullness...), but I do prefer their B1 to it.

As for DoG, I'll see if I ever get my grubby mitts on one before deciding if it can be turned into anything that can match their Brit/Clan! It looks like it'll be a lot of work....

Edited by Tim

Gilbert,

Had the endoscope into my stomach and duodenum today and the doctor kept get spurious background images of book cases holding a load of railway books, what's all that  about, could he be a Peterborough North fan?

Confused of Ancaster.

Edited by tetleys
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert,

Had the endoscope into my stomach and duodenum today and the doctor kept get spurious background images of book cases holding a load of railway books, what's all that all about, could he be a Peterborough North fan?

Confused of Anacaster.

Someone should have gone to Photoshop ;)  (hope the other pictures were satisfactory)

• Like 1

When I start doubting whether I should run to bespoke track for my own re-build I just have to check out Gilbert's layout, but then my eyes move on to his signals, and, and, and, Peterborough North really should carry a Government Wealth Warning, keep those pics coming it's one of my targets to aim for.

Dave

• Like 8