Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

That bogcart has a rather angry insect like face; probably confused by the comments about the Hales pies as they were delicious.

I rather like these shots despite the fact they are 'retro' in that they are at distance and from above as mentioned elsewhere.

I think it is the fact that I get an 'impression' of the 'essence' of an area when I see a layout from this perspective and the trains (or even sometimes the lack of them) are just a part.

At exhibitions (or 'at home') I really like layouts that have that 'look' of the railway in the landscape; difficult to achieve, but not in the case of PN.

I've had my fix for today, so thanks so much. I'm off home before I get told off for being late (again).

Quack.

• RMweb Premium

Utterly fantastic - some of the best views to date IMO...

This layout is a huge inspiration for me and I know many others and to see it in all its expansive splendour is breathtaking...

Thanks for sharing; hugely appreciated

David

• Like 2

Guest jonte

Hi Gilbert.

I have to concur with the previous posters: fabulous stuff!!

However, rather than just posting another "me too" post, would you mind if I asked for a short video of the scene please? In particular, I'm interested to see how your locos perform over the point work which I believe is built to DOGA fine standards, although the wheels of the RTR items, I'm sure I'm right in thinking, remain 'untweaked' ?

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure I read something to this effect way back in the thread.

As I say, it's just the RTR items I'm interested in here.

Hope you don't mind, Gilbert.

Jonte

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My goodness, I started reading this topic from the begining and after an hour or so thought I must be getting nesr the end or present day.  Imagine my surprise!! I'm on page 14! What a great read I have before me.  Just being at the design of track stage myself. I've picked up several good tips already.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice little burst of solvent adhesive sniffing G. I too like the last pic- great sense of distance. Are you going to get a static grass mower once the lawn is laid? No duck ponds in this garden I suppose? Pity.

The stage you are getting to G is certainly fun. Loads of things to fabricate, plant, fit, stick, mould, position, and then the 'population' (not going to cover that ground again). However, just one comment about the population, I think it would be great to celebrate certain characters involved in your layout by representing them facially (or otherwise - see below*). The dressing will be fun as discussed previously. 

*I believe that one can get a duck from one supplier......... (Langleys is it?)

I notice that in the 'real world' that Peterborough Station is getting more surgery; why do they have to look like huge containers (not the X I hasten to add - that appears beautiful but I have yet to see it live)?

Fortunately the 'real' Peterborough (North) Station' lives on in your house ....hoorah.

Quack.

Is that bloke with the beige car (Jowett Javelin?) still blocked in down at the far end?  I'm surprised he hasn't been playing merry hell by now.

Nah, he's the bloke fitting the vacuum hoses. Still got a lot to do! 

:devil:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert.

I have to concur with the previous posters: fabulous stuff!!

However, rather than just posting another "me too" post, would you mind if I asked for a short video of the scene please? In particular, I'm interested to see how your locos perform over the point work which I believe is built to DOGA fine standards, although the wheels of the RTR items, I'm sure I'm right in thinking, remain 'untweaked' ?

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I'm sure I read something to this effect way back in the thread.

As I say, it's just the RTR items I'm interested in here.

Hope you don't mind, Gilbert.

Jonte

The problem is that I have nothing with which to do a video. I don't even have a functioning mobile phone, let alone any of these other strange things which apparently allow one to do almost anything. I can confirm though that most of my RTR stock is as it came out of the box, and that there have been very few problems as a result. One or two of the points were a bit tight as built, and a few locos and stock with tight back to backs didn't like them, but Norman Saunders visited again and eased the clearances where necessary, since when there have really been no problems.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blocked in? If it's a Jowett Javelin it's probably broken down!

It's an Austin A30, and the driver is one of Peterborough's three daily commuters to London. They all catch the same trains there and back, so there isn't a problem. :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert - check out the video function on your G12 - it's very good ;) - on the the function dial on top.

:blush: :blush:  Thanks Chris, shows how firmly I'm stuck in the past doesn't it? In my day, a camera was just that, I had no idea it could do videos. I suppose that means I now have to find the manual and learn how to do it. I wonder how many other things it can do that I don't know about?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

:blush: :blush:  Thanks Chris, shows how firmly I'm stuck in the past doesn't it? In my day, a camera was just that, I had no idea it could do videos. I suppose that means I now have to find the manual and learn how to do it. I wonder how many other things it can do that I don't know about?

Don't worry, you're not alone!!

Jerry

• Like 1

Gilbert,

You'd be surprised !!!   I believe that there are even some mobile phones that you can do almost anything with -  except telephone !!!   and cameras, well . . . .

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Never mind Gilbert, I have yet to find a digital camera - or a smartphone - that can make a decent cup of tea...

:scratchhead:

• Like 3

Guest jonte

Oops! 

Sincerest apologies, Gilbert, for putting you on the spot.

Don't worry about it; it can wait.

Best wishes,

Jonte

The problem is that I have nothing with which to do a video. I don't even have a functioning mobile phone, let alone any of these other strange things which apparently allow one to do almost anything. I can confirm though that most of my RTR stock is as it came out of the box, and that there have been very few problems as a result. One or two of the points were a bit tight as built, and a few locos and stock with tight back to backs didn't like them, but Norman Saunders visited again and eased the clearances where necessary, since when there have really been no problems.

• RMweb Premium

I think Gilbert could install (get installed?) a web cam (at a strategic point on the layout I hasten to add) and that might satisfy the need for views. If Dawlish can have one why not Peterborough North circa 1958.

It could be cunningly disguised as a hut or similar?

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think Gilbert could install (get installed?) a web cam (at a strategic point on the layout I hasten to add) and that might satisfy the need for views. If Dawlish can have one why not Peterborough North circa 1958.

It could be cunningly disguised as a hut or similar?

Quack.

No chance, I don't like spiders. Must go, I'm writing to Trading Standards about my kettle, which will neither play CD's or take photos. What is the world coming to? Oh. all right, and what is a web cam?

• Like 6

Just twist the dial to the movie camera icon, and press the take button. Simple as that, and then all you have to do copy off the camera and upload to Youtube. You can trim the shots in camera if need be.

Now you'll have no time for any model making! :senile:

Chris

• Like 1