Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Assuming you don't mean just the ex-SR lines, then Par, naturally. If you do, however, then Grogley Halt.

"Any" was supposed to be all encompassing and stuff like that, but I agree I could have been clearer. Par is permissible, but not easily achievable if golfing.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Par won't win, it has been a long time since Gilbert has made it round all 18 and remained on Par. So don't go upsetting by suggesting Par.

Our course is par 70, and my best ever score there is 74, of which I am rather proud. No way was I ever going to equal, let alone get under par, so no upset caused.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good turnout for this poll, and very close too. Templecombe Seaton Junction and Axminster with 3 votes, but Par won with 4.

Staying down south, wayside stations between London and the Kent coast, Ramsgate, Dover and Folkestone. Even I know a few.

• RMweb Premium

Sittingbourne & Milton Regis. We got off there on a school trip in about 1969 to visit the Bowaters system before it closed. I got a cab ride from Kemsley Mill to Ridham Dock in the fireless loco "Unique". At Ridham we saw the ex-SE&CR P class "Pioneer II" sitting out-of-use.

Edited by St Enodoc

16 minutes ago, great northern said:

Staying down south, wayside stations between London and the Kent coast, Ramsgate, Dover and Folkestone. Even I know a few.

Am I straying too far off course with Queenborough? A nice looking station with an interesting history...

• RMweb Gold

I sense this is about the South Eastern, rather than the Chatham lines. I have worked at some, done signalling training at Deal and Sandwich, where I was passed as competent, spent some months as SM at Ramsgate. Minster, with its triangle, would be good, but perhaps Dunton Green would be favourite, formerly the junction for Westerham. And on one occasion my fast train home was stopped there by signal, whereupon my travelling companion leapt smartly out, as he lived closer to there than to Sevenoaks, the next stop. A bit naughty, but as he was Regional Civil Engineer at the time I don't suppose he'd have heard much about it...... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to thank Gilbert for giving us the 'heads-up' on Hunt Couplings.

Mine arrived this morning and I've already trialled them on a few items. A revelation would be my description and for those of us with wonky eyesight, a Godsend. They're not for use where shunting occurs but for keeping mixed rakes of coaches together and easily attaching stock/engines in the fiddle yard they are wonderful. I shall be ordering a bigger batch this week!

This is the sort of thing the trade should be doing but now I really hope they don't because the folks at West Hill Wagon Works richly deserve all the business and credit they can get.

Tension locks? They will soon all be in the dustbin - where they belong!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

I'd just like to thank Gilbert for giving us the 'heads-up' on Hunt Couplings.

Mine arrived this morning and I've already trialled them on a few items. A revelation would be my description and for those of us with wonky eyesight, a Godsend. They're not for use where shunting occurs but for keeping mixed rakes of coaches together and easily attaching stock/engines in the fiddle yard they are wonderful. I shall be ordering a bigger batch this week!

This is the sort of thing the trade should be doing but now I really hope they don't because the folks at West Hill Wagon Works richly deserve all the business and credit they can get.

Tension locks? They will soon all be in the dustbin - where they belong!

I must say that the new Elite polarised range looks very tempting. One thing that's not quite clear from the website  - or maybe it's just me - is the price for 10 individual couplings (i.e. 5 pairs) or 10 pairs (i.e. 20 individual couplings)?

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I must say that the new Elite polarised range looks very tempting. One thing that's not quite clear from the website  - or maybe it's just me - is the price for 10 individual couplings (i.e. 5 pairs) or 10 pairs (i.e. 20 individual couplings)?

10 individual couplings.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

10 individual couplings.

Thanks Trevor. That's what I thought but this page seems to say something different:

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-elite-oo-gauge-new-c-21/hunt-couplings-elite-close-coupling-couplings-for-nem-sockets-oo-gauge-p-81

So to be absolutely clear, to fit a coupling at both ends of one coach will cost GBP 1.39 not GBP 0.695?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Trevor. That's what I thought but this page seems to say something different:

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-elite-oo-gauge-new-c-21/hunt-couplings-elite-close-coupling-couplings-for-nem-sockets-oo-gauge-p-81

So to be absolutely clear, to fit a coupling at both ends of one coach will cost GBP 1.39 not GBP 0.695?

100 Elite close couplings cost me £64.50, and my view is that they are well worth the price. I already need more though.

• Like 1