Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

A very pleasant day with Andy, The Green Howards, who has taken some vidoe, which he will share in due course. Surprisingly, the trains behaved almost faultlessly throughout, and there were quite a few of them.

Thanks for your hospitality Gilbert. A very pleasant day with plenty of chat, quite a few trains run and hopefully some decent video. That will have to wait though as I had a 3.5 hour drive home in the rain and then an evening at my club packing up our exhibition layout for Sunday. Off to bed shortly!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I rather like both shots. The second highlighting one of those typical small areas that "butt up" to the railway. The images would, perhaps, be improved by some signs of staining or puddles in the foreground (The bycycle is great).

I know the flanks of the 9F is in shadow but steam engines always have signs of oil and water stains on the boiler and on the cylinder casings. In these views the 9F looks a little inert with no variation in tone/texture.

I should add Gilbert that all your images far exceed anything that I have achieved!

Kind regards,

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, great northern said:

Nice morning...sunny so far. Two 9F shots, neither of which I think really succeed, particularly the second one, but I leave you to decide.

39F1.JPG.25368216a6c04c8cbe4994660964f211.JPG

49F2.JPG.1fdc418add819032a13714f90b61d6d9.JPG

Was the photographer for the upper photo on the top deck of a bus as it crossed the bridge?

Asking for a friend of a friend.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

As '360 says, it's the reality of the glimpse in the lane....Colin Gifford stuff.  The 9F a smidge (a metric unit of measurement) further forward would have been nice.

Indeed it would. The problem was that to get the shot I had to place the camera where I couldn't see the viewfinder, and so I had to guess the position of the loco, unsuccessfully.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 30368 said:

I rather like both shots. The second highlighting one of those typical small areas that "butt up" to the railway. The images would, perhaps, be improved by some signs of staining or puddles in the foreground (The bycycle is great).

I know the flanks of the 9F is in shadow but steam engines always have signs of oil and water stains on the boiler and on the cylinder casings. In these views the 9F looks a little inert with no variation in tone/texture.

I should add Gilbert that all your images far exceed anything that I have achieved!

Kind regards,

Both shots were right into the sun, which at this time of year is so low that it is parallel to the layout, and getting detail on the "dark side" is beyond me. Not a shot I should even be attempting really, but in December I have to grab every precious minute when there is enough light to get a result at all, which is why we get four or five shots of the same train.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Owing to family commitments I am unable to attend a Gang of Four gathering at Peterborough North on Monday after going to the trouble to acquire this for the bus on the bridge.

003.jpg.161068bd9cb00cfc15c35b5a4584e4ac.jpg

004.jpg.b8f156880e0bf0fbc37609d4775aec73.jpg

I know it isn't number 61 as Gilbert would like to see but it is close.

Sadly Bullock and Driffill don't seem to be trading anymore. 

002_demolition_Bullock___Drifill_Pic._2_crop-561x400.jpg.3ba85e965278b2a5d3e9151274094e90.jpg

They did seem to advertise in the Imps programmes.

s-l1600.jpg.48de595cd030fe48d72a9b7fe9a10145.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Why would a Lincoln bus be in Peterborough?

Because Clive will use any possible excuse to put a bus on the bridge. I thought I might outfox him by specifying a very difficult subject, but somehow he has got round it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Owing to family commitments I am unable to attend a Gang of Four gathering at Peterborough North on Monday after going to the trouble to acquire this for the bus on the bridge.

003.jpg.161068bd9cb00cfc15c35b5a4584e4ac.jpg

004.jpg.b8f156880e0bf0fbc37609d4775aec73.jpg

I know it isn't number 61 as Gilbert would like to see but it is close.

Sadly Bullock and Driffill don't seem to be trading anymore. 

002_demolition_Bullock___Drifill_Pic._2_crop-561x400.jpg.3ba85e965278b2a5d3e9151274094e90.jpg

They did seem to advertise in the Imps programmes.

s-l1600.jpg.48de595cd030fe48d72a9b7fe9a10145.jpg

No, not good enough. It has to be number 61. Now, I'm just wondering how you came by this. You said you had a Wigan Leyland of the right type and I'm wondering if you have repainted it. If so, you have made a rod for your own back, haven't you? All those patchwork coaches.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thanks for your hospitality Gilbert. A very pleasant day with plenty of chat, quite a few trains run and hopefully some decent video. That will have to wait though as I had a 3.5 hour drive home in the rain and then an evening at my club packing up our exhibition layout for Sunday. Off to bed shortly!

Andy

I feared that you might have a long and tedious journey home Andy. I hope the day was worth it.

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Note to self: don't include a road bridge over the railway anywhere on new layout.

Or an underbridge.  Someone would be happy to supply a bus for a potential bridge bash scene, I'm sure 😉

Simon

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, great northern said:

No, not good enough. It has to be number 61. Now, I'm just wondering how you came by this. You said you had a Wigan Leyland of the right type and I'm wondering if you have repainted it. If so, you have made a rod for your own back, haven't you? All those patchwork coaches.....

Hi Gilbert

I do have a bus earmarked to be converted to number 61 as well as number 91.

Number 91 was ordered before I realised I could make number 61. Number 91 will be used on a forth coming small Eastern Region diesel stabling point. As it will be a layout of no real fixed abode depending where on the ER it will be on the day of exhibiting it I will require some buses to give it a sense of being, for example in Suffolk an Eastern Counties bus with an Ipswich trolley, Essex a Southend Transport bus and an Eastern National one, Hertfordshire London Country and Untied Counties, South Yorkshire Sheffield and Rotherham buses and Lincolnshire a City of Lincoln bus and a Road Car bus.

Must not forget the red buses should the said layout wander into the arc formed by Highbury, White Heart Lane, Brisbane Road and Upton Park.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Note to self: don't include a road bridge over the railway anywhere on new layout.

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Very wise.

Hi Gilbert, not too sure those are wise words for Graham. Didn't Carlisle station have a bridge at the Scottish end of it?

I do have some Ribble buses, some suitable United ones and it wouldn't be too hard to re-label a red Tilling group bus into the Cumberland fleet. 

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

What about a chassis on it's way to Plaxtons at Scarborough for when you're in East Yorkshire, Clive?

With driver in flying helmet,

Hi Jonathan, 

Scarborough is in the North Eastern Region and they done things differently when it came to diesels than the ER. 

Now a slight twist on your suggestion, a poor soul nearing the end of his journey from Bristol to the ECW works at Lowestoft. The real challenge would be to make a Lodekka chassis with its offset camshaft. Bristol-Lodekka-LD-chassis-c1955-220815-1024x743.jpg.12a4324774db8f3b8833e1398247e8bb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert, not too sure those are wise words for Graham. Didn't Carlisle station have a bridge at the Scottish end of it?

I do have some Ribble buses, some suitable United ones and it wouldn't be too hard to re-label a red Tilling group bus into the Cumberland fleet. 

Have you forgotten the advice he gave me just a few posts ago?