Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Has the body of the first coach behind the B17 decided tp separate from the solebar, or is there some distortion going on from the lens when you magnify the pic?

It is lens distortion yet again, Peter. I don't seem to be able to set up these close up shots without it happening.

Gilbert I have a question that perhaps you and the team can give some thought to....

On one of the other forums the chap mentioned setting up a single loop running around the outside of the layout and using it for sequential storage, it's a roundy roundy with the operator in the centre, so the line would be behind scenery, .

The principle is that by having sensors along its length, he can programme DCC to know where each train is. The idea is that when the first train at the head of the loop leaves to return to the 'visible' part of the railway, the train that was second moves to pole position and so on, thus creating a space for the next train to come off the visible section and slowly move up the queue as part of the operating sequence.

I suppose it's s sort of rolling block arrangement using DCC to manage the blocks and roll them with each train.

I suspect there will be a ton of complications to this - for example where one train is a two coach local or parcels van, and the next is a 30-wagon coal train, but the idea of being able to do something like this fascinates me.

So I was wondering if you or anyone else has given this concept any thought and if so would it be possible to make it work without DCC? I"m scratching my head thinking about photocells and relays to switch power off and on to individual sections, and thought it might be worth seeing what thereat and good who follow this thread think. Obviously I have a personal interest in this, as a pair of loops running around the outer edge of Waverley East would comfortably store up to 20 trains without impinging on the main layout!

tx

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter, I think the late Geoff Brewin used some sort of MERG set up to do something similar to this. His layout was DC and I couldn't understand the electrics, but Geoff was able to set paths and trains would automatically run to signals and stop/start/wait in fiddle sidings.

His friend 96701 might be able to tell you how this actually worked.

Phil

Great Northern

I've just found your thread and wow, I've just started going through your many pages.

I've just found this film of the Elizabethan being hauled by SILVER FOX on 'youtube', if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYC6tEU9EA0

Keep up the good work

A4s are my favourite as well, ever since getting a Hornby Dublo 'Silver King' for Christmas in 1957.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil

I can't get any decent results with fluorescent lighting Tony, even with correct white balance set. As you say, the light is right overhead, and produces a horrible effect on roofs in particular. I shall just have to be more pragmatic in what I attempt when the sun is very strong. Light cloud is best really. Even Andy Y hopes for a cloudy day if he is coming to take photographs.

My fluorescents are good for running and scenic modelling - but I loath them for photography - all flat and bland. My problem is, just the one north facing window which, while constant, only gives sufficient light at one end of the room, once a day - if that! That's back bedrooms in three story terraces - shadowy. 

Hal

only to find...attachicon.gifivatt 1.jpg

Just a local Ivatt 4, which has come from New England via the engine road, and is now crossing to the Down side.

attachicon.gifivatt 2.jpg

And here it is, about to reverse onto another very slow train to Yarmouth via the M&GN.

Disappointed,

Who could be disappointed with a Flying Pig and the M&GN, not me for one. :senile:

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed my spotting session on Friday; thank you very much G. I saw that Pig and was impressed with the tablet catcher; a very neat moulding by Baccy. 

I only shouted 'scrap it' once and that was when a Dubdee clanked through with some very realistic wagon/van sounds; who needs 'sound'. (Do I tell Gilbert that I have a very good Class 40 sound chip he could borrow?)

Sorry you lot missed the Heaton A3.....ha, ha!

The B1 was in the bay when I left; what a great weathering job....just look at the lime/prime effects around the top of the smokebox - brilliant.

As for poles...you could have them but uproot the offending one 'out' for shots? 

There are some very good looking signals in place now as well.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Who could be disappointed with a Flying Pig and the M&GN, not me for one. :senile:

I'd give a lot to be able to have a trip on the M&GN Mick, but that alas is with hindsight. My narrative was based in 1958, and as seen through the eyes of a 13 year old. We wouldn't have had much time for an Ivatt 4 anyway, but we would have seen 43084 many times, so utter contempt would have ruled I'm afraid. We just wanted big green namers, particularly the ones based North of York, didn't we? Did I even know that the M&GN existed in 1958? Probably not. I do remember wondering what all the fuss was about when the closure was mentioned in Trains Illustrated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of diseasels, I have just found the Class 40 (D210) in the loft storage pile, complete with sound chip......and a very nice, old 08 and CBA to look up 3032's allocation in '58

Maybe a test run could be arranged at PN in the near future? 

P

• RMweb Gold

I really do like that first pic of the flying pig Gilbert, you can just imagine those spotters at the end of the platform throwing derisive remarks in its general direction, but the V2 in the background and the buildings against the grey sky, brilliant!  It's these run of the mill engines and workings, light engine movements, standby locos etc that really do make this a proper working railway, not just a stage for the glamorous few (as much as I like them too!).

Cheers
Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of diseasels, I have just found the Class 40 (D210) in the loft storage pile, complete with sound chip......and a very nice, old 08 and CBA to look up 3032's allocation in '58

Maybe a test run could be arranged at PN in the near future? 

P

Certainly Phil, I'd like to hear what the 40 sounds like. How many more locos might you have hidden away in that loft?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Certainly Phil, I'd like to hear what the 40 sounds like. How many more locos might you have hidden away in that loft?

For 1958......very few with sound. Think I might have a green 31?

Sadly I believe the 40 has sound from a widely discussed (on RMWeb) supplier on the outskirts of Sheffield, as it was one of my first to be fitted. Thus the sound programme is poor.

The 08 has either a Howes or West Coast chip and is excellent. Not sure about the 31; that might be an O*****'s T****s chip as well....pah!

I shall have to go and look.

Actually I think I might have another 40 up there but I don't think that had been built in '58 as it was a later one. I think that has a decent sound programme in it. Might even be a Biffo one? However, I can't remember if it is still EM.........sad isn't it!

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I really do like that first pic of the flying pig Gilbert, you can just imagine those spotters at the end of the platform throwing derisive remarks in its general direction, but the V2 in the background and the buildings against the grey sky, brilliant!  It's these run of the mill engines and workings, light engine movements, standby locos etc that really do make this a proper working railway, not just a stage for the glamorous few (as much as I like them too!).

Cheers

Tony

Couldn't agree more Tony. I don't think that just a constant procession of through trains, especialy if they were all expresses, would hold my interest for long. I suspect that if I was ever to contemplate another layout, and no, I'm not thinking of doing so!, it would be a secondary route, and the traffic would be much more mundane. Perhaps it is necessary to get the main line out of one's system first?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For 1958......very few with sound. Think I might have a green 31?

Sadly I believe the 40 has sound from a widely discussed (on RMWeb) supplier on the outskirts of Sheffield, as it was one of my first to be fitted. Thus the sound programme is poor.

The 08 has either a Howes or West Coast chip and is excellent. Not sure about the 31; that might be an O*****'s T****s chip as well....pah!

I shall have to go and look.

Actually I think I might have another 40 up there but I don't think that had been built in '58 as it was a later one. I think that has a decent sound programme in it. Might even be a Biffo one? However, I can't remember if it is still EM.........sad isn't it!

P

I'd like to hear the Biffo one if you can find it, and it is 00, Phil. Tim thinks that would be the best option.

• RMweb Premium

I just need to say that one of Gilbert's best tips for me and my layout plan was...........have some operational opportunity other/rather than just big expresses roaring past. It will get boring if you don't plan for that. Very true.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd like to hear the Biffo one if you can find it, and it is 00, Phil. Tim thinks that would be the best option.

If I'm feeling brave and it is still EM, I'll take out the Ultrascales and replace the original, Baccy OO set. That will be easier than changing the decoder and speaker(s).

Apologies for this being slightly OT but I'm quite a fan of most top quality diesel sound programmes, but feel that most steam ones are still quite poor. Having said that, I did hear one of Mr Chetter's steam programmes at Spalding in 2013; I think it was an A3 or A4....not sure, but I have to say it was good with decent 'coasting' sound, not stupid 'chuff to a standstill' rubbish.   

Hearing a decent 40 sound under the PN canopy/roof and then accelerating away will be quite good fun methinks.

P

Edited by Mallard60022