Peterborough North

great northern

I clicked on this thread and at first glance, thought the top picture, with the A3 and V2,  was real.

The colours and weathering just look...right.

Edited by JeffP

• RMweb Premium

I have seen the light. Coachmann is correct, more emphasis needs to be put on rolling stock, so I have had a good hard look at my locomotive needs, to see if I can free up some cash to fund the purchase of some  more coaches.  I have three station pilots. There should be two, and there isn't really work for three, so why did locoholism persuade me to have two C12's? I have decided that one can go, and was about to put it on E Bay, when I remembered how gratifying it was to see Dave Shakespeare's stock going to people on RMWeb, several of whom have become on line friends as a result. So I have decided to offer the C12 on here first -it really would be great to know that it was going to someone I "know" at least through the forum. Here are some photos then, and if anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

post-98-0-45917100-1422522581_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-63379400-1422522603_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-07932400-1422522620_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-43815600-1422522644_thumb.jpg

The loco was professionally built painted and weathered by John Houlden from the SE Finecast kit. My memory isn't what it was, but we standardised on Mashima motors and High Level gearboxes, so I'm pretty sure that is what is in there. It is fitted with a TCS decoder, but can be restored to DC running if required. Kadee couplings are fitted at buffer beam height. 67397 was one of the very last to be withdrawn, from Grantham shed in late 1958.

Should anyone feel that what I am doing is inappropriate, I apologise. I'm not trying to put pressure on anyone, and if no-one wants it it will go on E Bay as originally intended.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

G, I hope you didn't have to go to Torksey! Heavy snow here in 36E this morning. Good excuse for you to run the  EC schedule I expect?

I should be coach hacking but instead I am putting myself through torture by watching tennis and Mr Murray stressing me out! As it is snowing 'hard' again I shall probably not go to the Gym either and so I shall probably get my note pad and books out & pretend to know what I'm going to do to convert some tenders for my 'Packets'.

C12....Seaton Junction......sorry!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert,

You've got a fairly hefty following at 177, but it may be worth you posting your loco in the Classified section of the site to give it an even wider audience. Though I think you need to set a price on there in advance.

Looks a lovely loco, but as Mike pointed out, I don't think I'd have seen one in West Wales, so it's not for me.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You might find someone would swap coaches (or part swap/pay) for this little loco? However they would need to have rather a lot surplus!

On the subject of coaches may I ask a few questions in open posting here whilst we wallow in the glory of a Murray win! He does make things hard sometimes; wonder if he can play golf? Lovely sun at 36E now.

Gresley Open Thirds(2nds). Can anyone confirm that any D27s got cascaded to secondary duties in the early 60s? Also did this happen to the later D186s. I've read somewhere that older open stock was often 'shunted off' to special and excursion traffic. Gilbert will understand why I'm asking this (that bloomin' Cleethorpes/Sidmouth train again!!) 

Finally, are any of Hornby's products supposed to be D186s and if not which one(s) would be easiest to covert using etched sides?

Thanks,

Phil

• RMweb Premium

You might find someone would swap coaches (or part swap/pay) for this little loco? However they would need to have rather a lot surplus!

On the subject of coaches may I ask a few questions in open posting here whilst we wallow in the glory of a Murray win! He does make things hard sometimes; wonder if he can play golf? Lovely sun at 36E now.

Gresley Open Thirds(2nds). Can anyone confirm that any D27s got cascaded to secondary duties in the early 60s? Also did this happen to the later D186s. I've read somewhere that older open stock was often 'shunted off' to special and excursion traffic. Gilbert will understand why I'm asking this (that bloomin' Cleethorpes/Sidmouth train again!!) 

Finally, are any of Hornby's products supposed to be D186s and if not which one(s) would be easiest to covert using etched sides?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Torksey was closed, so we didn't have to go, which was fortunate, as when we played at home instead we got a blizzard which dumped rather a lot of snow in a very short time. It was touch and go getting up the hill to get home!

I'm thinking in terms of Ian Willets built specials so far as the coaches are concerned, which is why I'm looking to generate some funds.

So far as cascading of Gresley carriages is concerned, I'm pretty sure that a lot of it would have been surplus to requirements by the '60s, and that they would be ideal for the Cleethorpes- Sidmouth. The Dia 186's I am certain about , they were ideal excursion/holiday stock. As to the Dia 27's, they were originally intended for dining, and I wouldn't have thought that train would have a Restaurant Car. If there was any catering at all, I'd expect it to be a buffet car. Having said that, they could have been used just as ordinary open seconds.

The Dia 186 conversion I did with considerable assistance from TW had to be from a corridor coach, as Hornby don't do an open second. An FK or an SK would be the best donors, then you would just have to build an open interior. We can go further into that when you are next here.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks folks for all the positive comments about the C12. I realised that it would be of no use to most regular contributors, though I did consider trying to spin Bigwordsmith a yarn about a C12 substituting for a failed Pacific at Grantham,  and getting all the way to Haymarket, who then borrowed it for a trip across to Carlisle. I didn't think he'd swallow that though, so it will have to be the story about the unrecorded transfer to St Margarets, for use on the Peebles branch. They got their C12's and C16's mixed up you see. Easy to do - they did look a bit similar. :mosking: 

Our Duck is of course sadly mistaken too. C12's were used from Seaton right up to the time of their withdrawal. I have a photograph in front of me right now, showing one waiting to leave Seaton ( Junction for Uppingham). :jester:  So, again some one got a bit confused, and sent one to the other Seaton, down South. No? Worth a try.

Actually, I have had two enquiries already about it, so it may be going to a follower of PN as I hoped. If not, I will try Classifieds, as suggested.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

D186 was a favourite; thanks. I'll source the 'best' sides for the job.

As for the D27s I'll do a bit more 'digging'. I think they were usurped by either Thompsons or MK1s on the 'named' trains. Not sure what happened to the 27As without reading more stuff.

I'm only chasing that Diagram as I have those two Turnbuckle UF Sleepers! I suppose I could do another RCAF........ :declare:  but that involves more work internally!

I have a couple of B & C FK/SK for the donor 186, so I can convert and paint maroon, as that is the livery of most of the Gresleys I've seen in my reference pics of them on the Southern from 1960/1/2.

Seaton in Rutland was it?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

So I decided to do some alterations to the sequence. After an hour of that, and about the fifth time the ****** laptop scrambled text while I wasn't looking, I gave up on that. Didn't it occur to the designer that a system which allows a hand passed from one side of the keyboard to the other to mess everything up was not fit for purpose?

You do plug a wireless mouse into the laptop don't you? :scratchhead:

You do then disable the keyboard touchpad don't you? :scratchhead:

Failing that, put a thin piece of card over the touchpad when typing.  Its usually the heel of you hands that brush the touchpad inadvertently. :boast:

Excellent photos again Gilbert.  It was always windy on platform 2 causing things to lean over much of the time. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

You do plug a wireless mouse into the laptop don't you? :scratchhead:

You do then disable the keyboard touchpad don't you? :scratchhead:

Failing that, put a thin piece of card over the touchpad when typing.  Its usually the heel of you hands that brush the touchpad inadvertently. :boast:

Excellent photos again Gilbert.  It was always windy on platform 2 causing things to lean over much of the time. :jester:

Erm..... The full extent of my knowledge of computers could easily be written on the head of a pin, with plenty of space to spare.

1.There isn't any space for a mouse to be put down, and I confess to not knowing what a wireless mouse is, or how it works.

2.I have no idea at all how to do this.

3. That sounds sufficiently low tech for me to be able to do it - thanks Mick.

I have a complete horror of trying to do anything with a computer, as I know that if it doesn't turn out as it should I'm going to struggle to get things back to where they were previously. Even adding a new slide into my Powerpoint programme is a nightmare, even though I have been given a step by step idiot's guide as to how to do it.

Erm..... The full extent of my knowledge of computers could easily be written on the head of a pin, with plenty of space to spare.

1.There isn't any space for a mouse to be put down, and I confess to not knowing what a wireless mouse is, or how it works.

2.I have no idea at all how to do this.

3. That sounds sufficiently low tech for me to be able to do it - thanks Mick.

I have a complete horror of trying to do anything with a computer, as I know that if it doesn't turn out as it should I'm going to struggle to get things back to where they were previously. Even adding a new slide into my Powerpoint programme is a nightmare, even though I have been given a step by step idiot's guide as to how to do it.

Wireless mouse.

They will work on virtually any surface.  I can sit in my armchair with the laptop and this one works on my leather chair arm, my thigh(wearing trousers!) and on the very small area next to the touchpad.  As the mouse is optical it does not require much more area than its own footprint to operate.

I really do recommend you use a mouse most of the time rather than the touchpad, you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

If you have been photoshopping all those pictures using the touchpad I salute you for your endeavour. :declare:

To switch off the touch pad it is usually a press of the fn key + one of the F keys along the top.  My laptop is fn+F4.  To turn back on is the same combination.  It should tell you in your laptop manual.

post-15323-0-96191100-1422875302_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wireless mouse.

They will work on virtually any surface.  I can sit in my armchair with the laptop and this one works on my leather chair arm, my thigh(wearing trousers!) and on the very small area next to the touchpad.  As the mouse is optical it does not require much more area than its own footprint to operate.

I really do recommend you use a mouse most of the time rather than the touchpad, you will wonder how you ever managed without one.

If you have been photoshopping all those pictures using the touchpad I salute you for your endeavour. :declare:

To switch off the touch pad it is usually a press of the fn key + one of the F keys along the top.  My laptop is fn+F4.  To turn back on is the same combination.  It should tell you in your laptop manual.

attachicon.gifwireless mouse 1.jpg

Many thanks Mick. I shall go in search of a wireless mouse. The laptop is in the raiway room, and is used solely to show the running sequence. All of the photoshopping etc is done on the PC downstairs - much more comfortable.