Peterborough North

great northern

School uniforms were expensive and our poor parents were keen that it should be looked after. We got away with discarding it in art school, but those in grammar schools had no choices and it must have stunted their development, I mean, if a 15yr old bird earning in the mill is confronted by a lad in gold-piped school uniform and the other in fleck jacket, crepe soles and DA, it's a no brainer who she chose....

Later on of course the grammar school lad had the last laugh as he drove his limo past ex-Teddy in bus uniform pushing pram and off-spring to wash house....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert

That W1 is certainly impressive, but the short tendered B17 does it for me, especially the shot with the DMU in the dock beside it. It certainly must be hard dealing with the sun's fickleness, perhaps some shade curtains and daylight fluoros might help even it out, but then I find it can be hard to get the lighting right to the chassis and underframes as all the light is directly overhead. To be honest though, any photo on PN is a good one I reckon!

Cheers

Tony

I assume your ThO Hunstanton train is heading north via the M&GN? Bit surprised to see aB17 that way though. But even if it reversed and went via March, it would still have to run into Kings Lynn as that was a terminus. The Hunstanton branch could only be accessed by a reversal.

As for ThO, could this be a bit of social history that we have forgotten? Maybe an early closing day for the shops (remember them)? Or a market day excursion maybe?

Lovely pics again anyway.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I prefer the second of the two sky's. The darker sky seems to set the station off better, the first seems to wash it out more. Just my opinion though.

Mike

Thanks Mike. That's the way I see it too. I have to take so much out of blue skies to stop them looking far too blue, that the whole thing becomes, as you say, washed out. There must have been sunny days though, even in Peterborough. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

That W1 is certainly impressive, but the short tendered B17 does it for me, especially the shot with the DMU in the dock beside it. It certainly must be hard dealing with the sun's fickleness, perhaps some shade curtains and daylight fluoros might help even it out, but then I find it can be hard to get the lighting right to the chassis and underframes as all the light is directly overhead. To be honest though, any photo on PN is a good one I reckon!

Cheers

Tony

I can't get any decent results with fluorescent lighting Tony, even with correct white balance set. As you say, the light is right overhead, and produces a horrible effect on roofs in particular. I shall just have to be more pragmatic in what I attempt when the sun is very strong. Light cloud is best really. Even Andy Y hopes for a cloudy day if he is coming to take photographs.

• RMweb Premium

That left lamp on the 'Whale' is just right (following pages of groaning about lamp size/colour/shape/weathering).

Love the helicopter shot(s).

P

That's the Springside LNER type Phil, and it is a huge improvement. Now all I have to do is replace all the over size BR ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I assume your ThO Hunstanton train is heading north via the M&GN? Bit surprised to see aB17 that way though. But even if it reversed and went via March, it would still have to run into Kings Lynn as that was a terminus. The Hunstanton branch could only be accessed by a reversal.

As for ThO, could this be a bit of social history that we have forgotten? Maybe an early closing day for the shops (remember them)? Or a market day excursion maybe?

Lovely pics again anyway.

Stewart

Oh Lord, another senior moment. :senile: The whole point was that the train was going to run via March, thus justifying the B17. But I put the loco on the wrong end, didn't I? :banghead: I had thought about early closing day, but wouldn't a departure before midday be too early for that? My recollection is that the shops were open until lunchtime.