Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hello Gilbert 

I use a colour calibrated iMac and on the image there is a white blob above the engine probably halfway to the horizon. Sorry to point it out but it is there.

Regards

Peter

You're not supposed to be able to see that after I've finished processing. :scratchhead: Obviously Macs are much cleverer than Windows.

I like the recent set of aerial views you have taken as you know these where my favourite type when we last met as it shows the size and scale of the layout at its best.

However.....

Don't forget the idea of white roller blinds to the book cases, windows and then those 'infamous' movable backscenes we discussed - wouldn't harf help when photo editing!!!!

Best wishes for the New Year

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like the recent set of aerial views you have taken as you know these where my favourite type when we last met as it shows the size and scale of the layout at its best.

However.....

Don't forget the idea of white roller blinds to the book cases, windows and then those 'infamous' movable backscenes we discussed - wouldn't harf help when photo editing!!!!

Best wishes for the New Year

Time for an update Kevin. I'm waiting for a quote from my joiner for roller blinds to cover the bookcases. So far, so good. However, (often an ominous word), when I suggested the same for the windows, there was a sharp exhalation of breath, and an indication that he didn't feel that could be done. I had already had the same reaction from the Company that fitted the blinds in the first place. I can myself see substantial risk of damage to the layout if anyone slipped while working in that very confined space, so that may have to be abandoned. Movable backscenes are still on the list, when I get round to it.

• RMweb Premium

Window circled in red. The week before last I was sat in the room behind that window enjoying a cup of coffee and a cake. The Great Northern Hotel still does great lunches though I've never stayed in it's rooms.

attachicon.gifcoffee.png

I stayed once, many years ago, whilst on a training course. My abiding memory is of being kept awake by the sound of people walking on floorboards which creaked very loudly, even though carpeted. The hotel gave the impression of being rather run down, frankly. This was 30 years ago though.

Time for an update Kevin. I'm waiting for a quote from my joiner for roller blinds to cover the bookcases. So far, so good. However, (often an ominous word), when I suggested the same for the windows, there was a sharp exhalation of breath, and an indication that he didn't feel that could be done. I had already had the same reaction from the Company that fitted the blinds in the first place. I can myself see substantial risk of damage to the layout if anyone slipped while working in that very confined space, so that may have to be abandoned. Movable backscenes are still on the list, when I get round to it.

regarding your windows. A friend with had a similar situation to you. Because it wasn't possible to fit blinds,he made lightweight frames which were a snug fit in the window apertures and covered them in blind material. These are easily removed as needed.it may be worth discussing this with your builder.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I stayed once, many years ago, whilst on a training course. My abiding memory is of being kept awake by the sound of people walking on floorboards which creaked very loudly, even though carpeted. The hotel gave the impression of being rather run down, frankly. This was 30 years ago though.

This would have been not too long after the hotel had been disposed of by BR. BR had inherited about 34 hotels from the Big 4, but how do you prioritise expenditure on hotels against running a railway and shipping services?

• RMweb Premium

regarding your windows. A friend with had a similar situation to you. Because it wasn't possible to fit blinds,he made lightweight frames which were a snug fit in the window apertures and covered them in blind material. These are easily removed as needed.it may be worth discussing this with your builder.

Great idea. I will do that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And so at last we see the end of that fitted goods.

post-98-0-05934500-1546034946_thumb.jpg

Literally.

Next we come to something that fell into place very nicely. I now wanted to see my new fish train on parade,and when i looked at the sequence the next move was..... Grimsby and Hull fish empties. :sungum: So here they are. You'll see several views of these over the next couple of days too.

post-98-0-79948200-1546035221_thumb.jpg

Golf at 8.20 tomorrow, so an early night beckons.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

This would have been not too long after the hotel had been disposed of by BR. BR had inherited about 34 hotels from the Big 4, but how do you prioritise expenditure on hotels against running a railway and shipping services?

Stayed there one or twice in the mid-80s for BR management meetings. Yes, a bit run down but plenty of liquid anaesthetic before bedtime made it bearable (for the avoidance of doubt, this was long before the zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy...).

BT Hotels had a role to play when a) folk were more likely to holiday in the UK than abroad or b) before higher-speed rail services made long-distance return trips in one day feasible. Most of those that still exist offer a far better service than before privatisation (although why they had to change some of the names is beyond me - as far as I'm concerned the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh is still the NB). Trivia fact: the clock on the NB was always two minutes fast to encourage passengers to hurry to the station so as not to miss their trains.

• Like 2

On with solving the fiddle yard puzzle today, but it might help if I first decided exactly what I'm trying to achieve, and why. I may ask for some help on that later. First though, the very last view of fish vans you will see for some considerable time.

attachicon.gif12 fish last.JPG

The next one got cropped more and more, but finally arrived at something acceptable, if you don't mind posts obscuring your view.

attachicon.gif14 88 and DMU.JPG

The driver of the Cravens unit still hasn't been on the course where he will be taught how to change the destination blinds. This will probably happen about three weeks before he is due to retire. There is also a rumour that this unit will eventually be transferred down south, where the current destination will be much more appropriate.

Happy New Year Gilbert

I noticed when blowing up the pic of said Cravens as I couldn't read the destination blind, that it has OHL warning flashes on it - Would the be temporally appropriate for PN, or have you been associating with that naughty Dr. and her Telephone Box again?

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year Gilbert

I noticed when blowing up the pic of said Cravens as I couldn't read the destination blind, that it has OHL warning flashes on it - Would the be temporally appropriate for PN, or have you been associating with that naughty Dr. and her Telephone Box again?

A Happy New Year to you also Peter. The Cravens was always supposed to be temporary. What I really need is a Derby heavyweight unit. I did get one some time back, but it was unsatisfactory, and I returned it. The plan now is that Tim will build a proper Class 114 for me, and when it arrives the Cravens will be passed to him for use on his projected Faringdon layout, where it will of course be entirely appropriate.

All of which reminds me of the mid 50s, and sitting at the front of a 114 behind a nice driver, who didn't put the blinds down, on the way to Grantham for a day's spotting. Such anticipation!

A Happy New Year to you also Peter. The Cravens was always supposed to be temporary. What I really need is a Derby heavyweight unit. I did get one some time back, but it was unsatisfactory, and I returned it. The plan now is that Tim will build a proper Class 114 for me, and when it arrives the Cravens will be passed to him for use on his projected Faringdon layout, where it will of course be entirely appropriate.

All of which reminds me of the mid 50s, and sitting at the front of a 114 behind a nice driver, who didn't put the blinds down, on the way to Grantham for a day's spotting. Such anticipation!

One could of course argue that the theory behind all DMUs was that they should be inter-region, hence standard application of OHLE warnings!

I'm looking forward to seeing what fills up the 20 cassettes as the year goes by!

• RMweb Premium

One could of course argue that the theory behind all DMUs was that they should be inter-region, hence standard application of OHLE warnings!

I'm looking forward to seeing what fills up the 20 cassettes as the year goes by!

So am I Peter. So am I. :scratchhead: At the moment it changes by the hour, let alone by the day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone, perhaps our ex railwaymen, give me an answer to something which is puzzling me, please?

In the course of plotting out all of the ECML carriage formations I have found some instances of part formations which are stated to be SK SK FK SK. I could understand this if they were in separate portions of the train, but they are not. Why put your posh customers in a second class sandwich?  They are usually given the best accomodation next to the catering cars, and with the shortest distance to walk on arrival at termini.