Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

Thanks to Mr Goggle here is evidence that the bus on the bridge doesn't need to be leaning over. 

attachicon.gifBridge under bus.jpg

That opens another can of worms. No discernable camber, but what about that 'ump?  Mine doesn't have one of those either, and I don't like to think of Peter's reaction if I asked him to put one in.

• RMweb Premium

But the passengers are in the last stages of starvation Clive. If it stays there much longer I'll have to model some skeletons.

Ah!!! But without the Eastern Counties bus on the bridge some of us might think it is someone else's layout. :no: :no:

You leave that bus alone. :triniti:   Buses need bridges to sit on in model railway land.  :rtfm: It is the unwritten rule that we should all abide by.  :yes:

A bridge without a bus is like a station without a train. It NEEDS to be so, the feng-shui demands it.

As regards the Goggle photo, the bus is level because its in the middle of the road. The cars to the right are clearly obeying gravity+camber effects.

I mentioned the 'ump a page or two back but there's no need to give your bridge the 'ump over it.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1

Hi Gilbert

Thanks to Mr Goggle here is evidence that the bus on the bridge doesn't need to be leaning over.

attachicon.gifBridge under bus.jpg

Hi Clive,

Never noticed that before now, amazing how all the evidence come after the build and impossible to get beforehand.

Yes definitely a hump in the Bridge, however I would have to put the girder ironwork in the ‘oven’ to get the bend and would be difficult to approximate how much bend in 4mm would be required and would have to employ a surveyor to work out the Cant from one end to the other which is what was done done for Victoria Viaduct on Carlisle.

The trouble with this, is that the ironwork itself is curved.

In my opinion, not worth the many many hours required to get to this point.

Thanks for the post Clive, I hope my comments don’t come over as offensive in any way,

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Gravy Train

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Never noticed that before now, amazing how all the evidence come after the build and impossible to get beforehand.

Yes definitely a hump in the Bridge, however I would have to put the girder ironwork in the ‘oven’ to get the bend and would be difficult to approximate how much bend in 4mm would be required and would have to employ a surveyor to work out the Cant from one end to the other which is what was done done for Victoria Viaduct on Carlisle.

The trouble with this, is that the ironwork itself is curved.

In my opinion, not worth the many many hours required to get to this point.

Thanks for the post Clive, I hope my comments don’t come over as offensive in any way,

Cheers

Peter

They don't, Peter. Our thoughts were always on getting the bridge to look as good as possible from rail level, weren't they?  And we used those Roco parts because otherwise the work and cost involved would have been more than I could have afforded. Let's face it, most things you've done for me have had to be substantially compromised to fit the site, and you've done a wonderful job to get them looking as much like the real thing as possible.

The bridge is not "right" in scale terms, but it captures the feel of the real thing very well, and as we keep saying, it couldn't be anywhere else, could it? I love it.

Looks like a nice day. Golf, yes, anywhere near a shop,no. It is sheer madness out there. Anyway, I just put the camera down to assess whether I could get a decent shot from that position, and it went off in my hand. Here is the involuntary result.

attachicon.gif1 landscape.JPG

Encouraged, I added trains. Mons Meg departing with the 1130 Edinburgh meets the W1 running through on its regular Up working.

attachicon.gif2 W1 and Meg.JPG

I wish there was a way to extend the bridge through the outside wall.

Your every wish is my Command

There is a way Gilbert.    6 inch circular masonry cutter and large SDS drill on free loan whenever you require it. Extra 11 inches of space through cavity wall or unlimited space into the outside world.(Suspension required in latter case)

The Spirit of Xmas   :senile:  (Grantham)

I suggest :- Crispy Bacon of this parish as volunteer operator (Of Drill etc.)  :angel:

Your every wish is my Command

There is a way Gilbert.    6 inch circular masonry cutter and large SDS drill on free loan whenever you require it. Extra 11 inches of space through cavity wall or unlimited space into the outside world.(Suspension required in latter case)

Photoshop would extend the bridge with considerably less effort and mess or a mirror placed temporarily might do the job. Reflect?    :boast:

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Photoshop would extend the bridge with considerably less effort and mess or a mirror placed temporarily might do the job. Reflect?    :boast:

Chaz

Actually Chaz, the mirror idea can work well, especially if not viewed from exactly 90* and I've used a small version on my 'other' layout.

P

Actually Chaz, the mirror idea can work well, especially if not viewed from exactly 90* and I've used a small version on my 'other' layout.

P

Well, yes. It's a much used device by American modellers. Example - hiding one under some trees where a road "disappears" into the backscene  prevents the dark-tunnel effect.

Chaz