Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I too like the high up views Gilbert, but somewhat counter intuitively I thought the shot of Enterprise alongside the DMU gave a lovely ground level sweep, the sort of thing a (lucky) casual observer might have seen in 1958.

Best wishes,

Alastair

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

I too like the high up views Gilbert, but somewhat counter intuitively I thought the shot of Enterprise alongside the DMU gave a lovely ground level sweep, the sort of thing a (lucky) casual observer might have seen in 1958.

Best wishes,

Alastair

Just good fortune sometimes, I think. The day I took the shots of Enterprise, the light was absolutely perfect, and I picked just the right time of day. The second shot was an attempt at a different angle, which just clicked, so I'll try to remember that one for the future.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, great northern said:

I've just spent nearly an hour trying to decide whether to cut my own hair. I bought some clippers, and I've looked at  "how to do it" videos, but I can't bring myself to have a go. I suppose if I aim for a crew cut it doesn't matter how badly I do it.

I, too, bought clippers, and my wife performed her first haircut on me - the result, frankly, is just as good as I am used to paying £10 for.

She used the cutting guard that equates to a finger thickness - which is what I have at the barbers - and simply mowed my mop as I would the lawn! A touch of tapering at the back and round the ears with a shorter guard and - job done. My wife now has another chore!

It would be a little more awkward doing it myself but, with a mirror front and back, I think that it would be possible.

Anyway, with social distancing, who's going to see!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I, too, bought clippers, and my wife performed her first haircut on me - the result, frankly, is just as good as I am used to paying £10 for.

She used the cutting guard that equates to a finger thickness - which is what I have at the barbers - and simply mowed my mop as I would the lawn! A touch of tapering at the back and round the ears with a shorter guard and - job done. My wife now has another chore!

It would be a little more awkward doing it myself but, with a mirror front and back, I think that it would be possible.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That's reassuring John, thank you. I suspect mine will have to get a bit longer before I pluck up courage though.

Gilbert

I have not been to a barber for 27 years. My wife used to do it for me with the clippers, but for the last few years the noise has been too much for her, so I do it myself, without the aid of mirrors, and my wife just tidies it up for me a trims the back and round the ears. Once I forgot to put the cutting guard on, and a bit straight up the middle was rather short. I was preaching the next day - everyone claimed not to have noti8ced!

Lloyd

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Eleven o' clock again. I've just spent nearly an hour trying to decide whether to cut my own hair. I bought some clippers, and I've looked at  "how to do it" videos, but I can't bring myself to have a go. I suppose if I aim for a crew cut it doesn't matter how badly I do it.

For the time being, I'll stick to what I know I can do. An opportunity was taken just to show some of the length of that Class C as it came through.

936314616_6wagons.JPG.1688a4c4e4131f1a75ae4f5df7a345ee.JPG

As soon as it had cleared section, signals came off again to allow another M&GN train to pull in, this one having traversed the whole length of the line from Yarmouth.

1099916042_7ivattand88.JPG.10521ff66b18324560162dd23641b272.JPG

By this time, the signal box roof was back to where it should be.

Maybe have a go, otherwise image.png.366e9c077221595a232a9ee4f240671c.png

P

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A mate of mine at work, used his video camera to see how he was cutting his hair. He did a good job!

Stewart

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been using clippers on me own 'ead for years now. I use the same ones on the Spainiel. We both look a right mess but who cares, Gone are my days of trying to attract the opposite sex (or the same if I was that inclined).  

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Four miles in 42 minutes sounds close to 6 mph. Impressed!

Sorry Ian, got it wrong. I didn't quite do the whole thing for various reasons, probably a quarter mile short. I try to walk at 4mph. I was quite quick today, but not that quick!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have been using clippers on me own 'ead for years now. I use the same ones on the Spainiel. We both look a right mess but who cares, Gone are my days of trying to attract the opposite sex (or the same if I was that inclined).  

Looks like you started around the time your avatar photo was taken.

• Funny 6

Hi Gilbert, 

That shot of the WD is fantastic. The composition seems to express the up close feeling one gets from standing next to such a beast in 1:1 scale. The locomotive "looks" as it should, large and "weighty". Something I feel many model railway photographs try to express but rarely achieve up close. 

You can almost here the clang of the motion as she passes. In my opinion that picture is definitely a "keeper" 

Hope you are keeping well. 

John 

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Quick, straighten the shed in the top picture before Tony W sees it!
Regards ROBERT 

No. It is exactly as it should be. It is a fogman's hut, not in use except in fog and falling snow. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

No. It is exactly as it should be. It is a fogman's hut, not in use except in fog and falling snow. 

Now I’ve got my glasses on I can see a bracket that it’s resting on. I admit never seen one in that position before.

3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Quick, straighten the shed in the top picture before Tony W sees it!
Regards ROBERT 

Gilbert, sorry for the jibe, it shows my ignorance and I should have known better(and but my glasses on). I must admit that when I’ve noticed fogmens huts they’ve always be in the upright position but when I’m looking at photos it’s the stock I’m usually interested in.

By the way, what’s the reason for angling them down?

Since apologies,

Robert 

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Gilbert, sorry for the jibe, it shows my ignorance and I should have known better(and but my glasses on). I must admit that when I’ve noticed fogmens huts they’ve always be in the upright position but when I’m looking at photos it’s the stock I’m usually interested in.

By the way, what’s the reason for angling them down?

Since apologies,

Robert 

I surmise that they were propped like that to keep the weather from getting inside when not in use, but there will be people on here who actually dealt with them, and can tell us for sure. I happened to have my PN book open nearby, and spotted this, which features one. Copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced, please.

hut.jpg.886ba9372af43d8cc054c5f6814230e8.jpg

• Like 13