Hornby M7 Motor

dessire_luvals

Hi Folks,

Some time back I converted an M7 to EM Gauge, it has never run smoothly at slow speed so I put it to one side and got on with other things.

Anyway, today I stripped it down and it very much appears that the problem is the motor itself. With the motor separated from the chassis it stalls or doesn’t start at all. I’ve tried on both DC and DCC.

It looks like the motor has not been available as a spare for some time.  Does anyone know of a motor that could replace it, or does anyone have a spare?

TIA

Russell Davies

I wonder  if that is the same type of motor that was fitted to the H class. I have three of them and two had to go back to Hornby as the motor was overheating, one of which damaged the loco body. I think that it was due to poor construction of the motor.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I wonder  if that is the same type of motor that was fitted to the H class. I have three of them and two had to go back to Hornby as the motor was overheating, one of which damaged the loco body. I think that it was due to poor construction of the motor.

All the best

Ray

possibly, I didn't see the part number linked to the H but it would make sense.

• RMweb Gold

My “H” 0-4-4T (one of the first releases) was quite reluctant to move at times when first received, requiring the odd nudge into motion. I discovered by loosening slightly, the four motor top housing screws the problem went away.

I cut out and placed a thin “gasket” of paper around under the face of the motor top housing which has the effect of raising it very minutely. Clearly, as originally fitted, the top housing was fouling but this simple mod has proved most successful.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 21/02/2024 at 09:07, Right Away said:

My “H” 0-4-4T (one of the first releases) was quite reluctant to move at times when first received, requiring the odd nudge into motion. I discovered by loosening slightly, the four motor top housing screws the problem went away.

I cut out and placed a thin “gasket” of paper around under the face of the motor top housing which has the effect of raising it very minutely. Clearly, as originally fitted, the top housing was fouling but this simple mod has proved most successful.

Thanks, but this isn’t the problem as the motor has exactly same problem when separated from the chassis.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, dessire_luvals said:

Anybody got a scrap M7 maybe?

Have you tried giving Hornby a ring? Sometimes they have spares from returned items.

• Agree 1

Just in case it is useful, the same motor - going by exterior appearance - was in the early 8F, and near contemporary release with the M7 of the loco drive Britannia, and the all newly tooled revision of the Airfix GMR origin Castle to have a can motor released about 2010 as R1095, R2662. Part numbers X9108 and X9018, the different numbers probably for the worm that is fitted, so swapping out of worms will be required.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
Error correction

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Just in case it is useful, the same motor - going by exterior appearance - was in the early 8F, and near contemporary release with the M7 of the loco drive Britannia, and the all newly tooled Castle released about 2010. Part numbers X9108 and X9018, the different numbers probably for the worm that is fitted, so swapping out of worms will be required.

X9018 is almost certainly just a typo for X9108. The latest Castle motor is X6152.