A winter’s day / Traeth Hafren

Let me start at the end. I enjoy getting lost in the prototype, especially on a Sunday morning on the sofa with the dog and a good book. In recent years I’ve found focusing this ‘distraction’ into a small ‘HiFi micro’ is a good opportunity to practice not just some new skills but also to hone my artful interpretation of prototype to model.

IMG_3171.jpeg

This latest example has a distinctly colder feel, and was inspired by photos of the Severn Beach branch in the late 1970s and 1980s. It is 55cm long, 10cm deep and is self contained with fiddle stick available for (limited) operation. I have written about the project on the blog, so will share those specific posts here now as well…

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Last year I enjoyed exploring the possibilities of using an IKEA Mosslanda shelf in my Wrecsam project. The options these pre-formed wall shelves give you allow for a scenic area about 9cm deep and 55cm long, perfect for a HiFi micro…

IMG_3106.jpeg

The wind never lets up and it is truly miserable. You’re here to feel alive.

It was in many ways inevitable that with my meandering thoughts of an art installation, blended with the curiousity I harbour for single line branch terminus that it became a format I revisited. Let me introduce my latest HiFi micro, ‘A winters day, Traeth Hafren’. Heavily inspired by the Severn Beach landscape, in this small study I was keen to experiment with portraying a cold, bleak winters day.

IMG_3015.jpeg

The scheme, as suggested above, called for a small halt and some vestige of former industry but I felt that in the space available I would focus on just the natural elements. The two key things to make this scene work were fidelity in the winter trees and a cooler light temperature.

IMG_3075.jpeg

The usual box was constructed from a mixture of 6mm MDF and 3mm hardboard just glued together. The base in this instance saw the track bed raised from the base for two reasons. It would allow me to create a laminated spine for the fiddle stick, and the contrast in the height of the land with the railway would better tell the story of an estuary location.

IMG_3053.jpegIMG_3097.jpeg

Basic landform was mocked in with some off cuts of balsa for speed and blended in with sculptamould before painting in an earth shade if emulsion. The track was laid, painted, weathered and ballasted. The grass, choosing largely short wintry shades was added, all within 24 hours.

The journey of creating some believable winter trees was documented in a seperate post. These 12 specimen were formed with an improving understanding of nature and the method using some fine copper filaments and their fine form, when intertwined on the layout has been a huge success. Small holes in the sculptamold allowed them to be planted with a dab of PVA, deliberately overlapped and the branches woven together to create that mess of tangled branches I was keen to represent.

IMG_3100.jpeg

We’ve all stood beside the sea, or on a bleak estuary. Imagine being back there now in the depths of winter. Little shelter to speak of the cold air seems to carry a sadistic quantity of moisture, almost invisible but whose purpose is to soak you through and force you back inside. The wind never lets up and it is truly miserable. You’re here to feel alive, and to feel the benefit of getting on that train, in that car or into the warm lounge bar of the local pub.

This is the feeling I wanted to imbue in the piece.

The back scene started out as a slice of overcast sky on a ID paper backscene that felt suitable wintry. Added to this was a slice of the Severn estuary faded and subdued, carefully cut and stuck with Prit-stik to the bottom edge. This has just a hint of the river along its base and has worked even better than imagined. 

N scale is often about a balance of fidelity and neatness, I decided the distinctive post and wire fence could be represented using a combination of 1mm styrene for the concrete posts and wire for the metal strips, and this has worked very well indeed. Providing a man made vertical order to the natural environment and giving a boundary to the railway. 

The lighting however was still too warm. I used my usual natural white LED strip, I wondered if I could tint a number of the LEDs in the strip to alter the temperature. Adding some blue Sharpie pen proved the concept and by altering how many I coloured in, and where in the strip, modulated the cooler look I was after. Mistakes could be adjusted with a brush dipped in IPA. Sadly the Sharpie appeared to burn off and fade after half an our if the lighting being on, so a more permanent solution was sought in the form of Tamiya clear blue. This worked a treat, as we will see in part 2 next time.

IMG_3102.jpeg

This project has been a great deal of fun and produced tangible results in a short period of time. It may not have huge operational interest, but for me, it is driven by an artistic interpretation of the prototype rather than running trains. In addition, it’s an opportunity to practice or hone new skills away from my other projects and customer work, this ‘sharpening the saw’ has been a real discovery in recent years and I thoroughly enjoy creating these smaller works, test pieces but conceived in a manner that they can be traditionally ‘complete’ in relatively short order. Until next time, more soon…

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

James you have produced another lovely layout build. I will say your builds are definitely an inspiration for modellers like myself and others on the forum. Well done.👍

Edited by Kevin Johnson
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Love those footprints 👍

Thank you, they worked out quite well in the end. 

27 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

James you have produced another lovely layout build. I will say your builds are definitely an inspiration for modellers like myself and others on the forum. Well done.👍

Thanks Kevin, I’m glad they have an inspirational effect, turning that into energy for your own creations is why railway modelling is more than just craft, but am art.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

James, I've been returning to this thread a couple of times now, drawn to the visual poetry of the scene. I especially like the views where we get to see the frame, with the well-lit 3D scene and the darkness around it.

Your mention of the Mosslanda shelf + the arrangement above made me think of this Ikea offering, although it is only 80 cm long.

image.png.90765b4a7c931d09b3cb4f777ec4f534.png

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/metod-wall-cab-horizontal-w-glass-door-white-hejsta-white-clear-glass-s19490584/

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

That is a great box, I can imagine a layout to fit in there, especially in N!

I agree but a tad pricier than your usual arrangements, James!

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

I agree but a tad pricier than your usual arrangements, James!

David

gosh yes, I hadn’t clicked on the link! North if £100! I think I’ll stick to my usual. I can see the potential and benefits of the glass front though for some, displaying a layout in the living home.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Intrigued as to how the cooler colour temperature on Traeth Hafren might paint different models in a different light (excuse the pun), I have tried out a few old favourites on the ‘hifimicro’…

IMG_3181.jpeg

The Farish 25 is far from perfect but goes a long way to capture the character of these at one time ubiquitous machines and so a cheaply acquired second hand example was added to my collection some time ago and ‘paired’ at least mentally, with a pair of Dapol Dogfish wagons (which despite rebuilding still exhibit some of the banana effect I almost returned them for!).

The cooler light casts a bluer tint across both locomotives and stock, yet their weathering and consistent appearance is not diminished - the effect still attractive. These experiments give me confidence that my methods, the craft, that underpins the creation of the small worlds contained in these boxes can cope with colour adjustment. Whilst this might sound intuitive I wasn’t certain how a cooler light would make the models themselves feel, so it is a small comfort and encouragement to continue experimenting.

IMG_3179.jpeg

Here, the low angle photos that are so easily possible on a small shelf layout show the potential that N scale has wirh portraying ‘standard gauge’ in a smaller space. The layout itself will shortly be for sale, so if you’re interested in taking it on let me know. Until next time more soon…

• Like 7

The PiChem Severnbank works was a chemical manufacturing facility on the banks of the River Severn. Production ceased in 1992 after nearly 80 years at the site. Back in 1990 however, a daily weekday trip working operated along the Traeth Hafren branch serving the facility…

IMG_3177.jpeg

After the M4 had been built and the branch truncated the works was effectively accessed by a trailing spur, arriving trains propelled backwards into the works from Traeth Hafren. There was a loop in the reception sidings, so departing trains could run around before being propelled back onto the branch and returning to Twnel Hafren junction.

IMG_3178.jpeg

In these wintry photos taken 24 years ago this morning we see 31131 with its short train of PCA tank wagons used for one of the powdered salts used in detergent manufacture by Lever brothers at Ellesmere Port and Warrington. The photographer hasn’t noted quite what was going on but the train has drawn into the platform at Traeth Hafren which wasn’t always the case, usually they stopped at the telephone beside the line to phone for permission to access the works siding. Note the brakevan used on the trip working, due to the requirement to propel back into the works, an action that crossed several plant roads before reaching the loop.

IMG_3176.jpeg

Of course, this is my latest N gauge HifiMicro ‘Traeth Hafren’. The blue 31 on a short freight shows that even a small single track layout can have a variety of operation if a backstory is carefully crafted. The balance here is believable reality. The ICI works at Severnside was a trailing connection from the Severn Beach branch, trains could run around the train in the reception siding… it didn’t take much to go from that information to the faux history presented here. This concept is one I hope to expand on with a future, slightly larger single track scheme - one that features a chemical works AND a nuclear power station giving two excuses for freight traffic on an otherwise boring passenger branch-line. For now though, until next time, more soon…

• Like 11

On 20/02/2024 at 10:22, Mikkel said:

James, I've been returning to this thread a couple of times now, drawn to the visual poetry of the scene. I especially like the views where we get to see the frame, with the well-lit 3D scene and the darkness around it.

Your mention of the Mosslanda shelf + the arrangement above made me think of this Ikea offering, although it is only 80 cm long.

image.png.90765b4a7c931d09b3cb4f777ec4f534.png

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/metod-wall-cab-horizontal-w-glass-door-white-hejsta-white-clear-glass-s19490584/

I am literally building a layout in OO within the exact same footprint, its plenty for OO, I am doing a small halt station for 1 car dmu, and the end of a town. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Traeth Hafren has sucesfully arrived in the US, none the worse for ware. A few tress had to be replanted but that's it.  At 55cm by 10 cm it is small; what is interesting though, is that once you turn the light on and look into the slice of the world it feels expansive. I have made built several dioramas, see the links below, but this is very different. LIkely because it is self contained and the sides and front facia act as "curtains" , you are very much drawn onto the stage.  Dioramas that ive made you sort of need to wait for the picture to come out, Traeth feels like the picture is always there.

Pictures to follow

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1