Lima J50 weights

I normally get used wheel balance weights from my local tyre fitter, (free of charge). The modern flat rectangular type are more suitable rather than the older curved type which are hammered onto the wheel rims. They can be obtained in various weight values, eg 5grams, 10 grams, etc.

• Like 3

On 19/02/2024 at 19:01, barney121e said:

Hi

Having checked ebay for weights to no avail, does anyone know where i might get some. Tried a couple of places but no luck.

Are you looking for the original ballast weight supplied by Lima from new ?     I think it's shaped to fit the plastic chassis which also fits the  94XX   its an 0-2-2-2-0 with unpowered centre wheels as standard,  i binned mine in favor of a Triang Jinty Chassis.  If that is  what you are after I can have a hunt and see if my ballast weight ended up in my scrap box the next time I get a chance to have a root round in the loft. I saw the plastic chassis and wheels earlier today,   If you just want ballast weight led flashing is my go to.  Cut it into strips, fold them and hammer them flat.
I have also melted car wheel balance weights with a blow lamp and drip the molten lead into a wooden mould to make rectangular blocks.

• Like 3

Hi all,

One thing that you must remember about the weights for the Pannier and the J50 is that they are not the same. The J50 is a straight slab sided block and the Panniers is T shaped. You can do a great deal to improve the J50's running by adding extra pickups. This video by 00Bill shows you how.

If you have never seen his channel before I suggest you watch his videos. They are very interesting and instructive. I have done this extra pick up trick on all bar one of my Lima J50's and it works. With a little bit of work you can turn them in to a fairly acceptable model for very little. This is one of mine. I also did CD motor conversions to several with great effect.

DSC_1062.JPG

DSC_1063.JPG

DSC_1064.JPG

DSC_1069.JPG

DSC_1180.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

My Lima 94xx was stored away for quite a while.  When I looked at it the weight had swollen up and forced the plastic footplate down.

I managed to get the weight out but the footplate remains bent.

A friend had the same problem with a Lima Crab.

I assume this is the result of Mazak rot and could explain why your weight is missing.

Rodney

• Agree 2

You can buy weights. They are quite cheap. I have used them quite a few time with not problems. Look on Ebay for  'Self adhesive metal weights for model railways 5g and 10g' As to the mazak rot in Lima weights it seems a bit hit or miss. I have only had to swap out 2 both from Lima Crabs. So far do n seem to have a problem with any of the others.

wieghts.jpg

Edited by cypherman

On 21/02/2024 at 19:40, RodneyS said:

footplate remains bent

Run it under the hot tap for a minute, straighten, and then under the cold. Works on Lima Crab chassis too....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cypherman said:

You can buy weights. They are quite cheap. I have used them quite a few time with not problems. Look on Ebay for  'Self adhesive metal weights for model railways 5g and 10g' As to the mazak rot in Lima weights it seems a bit hit or miss. I have only had to swap out 2 both from Lima Crabs. So far do n seem to have a problem with any of the others.

wieghts.jpg

As I said above, you can get these from your local tyre fitter usually free of charge as they don't reuse them.