"Last chance to buy"

PeterStiles

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's website includes a section entitled "Last chance to buy" with an additional "Get them now before they're gone for good"

Fine.

But one of the items is the venerable Hornby (under-board) point motor. I mean I can see the Elite is one of the products in this section, we know Hornby are betting heavily on HM7000 so it makes sense to chill out and stop making Elites, but I've not seen a replacement Point Motor in any Announcement recently.

I suppose they could be defaulting to the idea that their target market doesn't cut holes in boards and would only use the Surface-Mounted motor?

Both the Elite and the Point Motor are in the 2024 catalogue.

Maybe I'm reading too much into a Marketing slogan...

Their point motors are virtually the same as the Peco ones so not that big a loss. The big advantage of the under point motors although you have to cut a big hole in your baseboard they are instantly aligned because you connect them to the points. I don't know about the Elite, it is really ancient, reminds me of a development tool I developed in the mid eighties plus all the pitfalls that come with that design (using the push button which sometimes increments the value). They have only just developed that dongle to go with the Elite. Perhaps they can't get the parts for it anymore, microprocessors do become obsolete and rewriting software is expensive. I am probably going to get people telling me how good the slow action point motors but with 60 plus points it gets a bit expensive and you still have to line them up yourself.