DR3D models - 3d printed wagons in 4mm scale. New prints available!

drduncan

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

Huzzah and congratulations!

The wagons are excellent, kits easily assembled and instructions among, if not, the very best. More power to your elbow, more of your wares to my layout...!

Louis,

Thanks for your kind words as well as your previous support and encouragement. It has been very much appreciated.

Duncan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • drduncan changed the title to DR3D models - 3d printed wagons in 4mm scale. New prints available!
Posted (edited)

New print available - 4GWR-016 GWR ex Cornwall Minerals Railway iron bodied China clay tippler wagon. 

wr8h63t9.png.892ed957a9b70a48c5144206feea8e86.png

The CMR built over 200 small iron bodied, very short wheelbase, but wooden underframe, China Clay wagons in 1874 using two builders, the Swansea Wagon Company and the West of England Wagon Company. Within a few years the CMR and its China clay fleet had been leased to the GWR. The wagons appear to have been built with dumb buffers at the tooling end and self contained buffers at the non tipping end. Later the wagons were altered to have self contained buffers at both ends - probably in the 1900s - although the wagon stock books are silent on these alterations.

As the wagons were built by independent wagon manufacturers not the CMR or GWR, these wagons may also be of interest to those creating proto-freelance independent railway companies of the late Victorian and Edwardian period whose traffic requires an end tippling mineral wagon where a very short wheelbase would be an advantage such as a dock or similar loading/unloading point where there might be very tight radii curves to negotiate. 

4GWR-016 is for the early version of the wagon with dumb buffers and self contained buffers. It comprises a one piece body and chassis complete with brake gear as well as axle boxes and springs at the brake lever end of the print. Included with the print are a pair of separate self contained buffer housings and a pair of axle boxes and spring assemblies to facilitate a compensated chassis if desired.

87162CC4-04AD-447C-B17F-A0FA98935039.jpeg.eea089697ecc4b41c72182b036460aa8.jpeg

Also included in the print is an axle alignment jig for either OO or EM/P4 - please state which is required on ordering.   

Cost for 4GWR-016 is £15 plus p & p. Prints can be ordered by emailing DR3Dmodels@outlook.com

Thanks for your interest.

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
Better image and additonal info that may be of interest to @Schooner and others
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ll be demonstrating 3D printing at the GW Study Group members day at Didcot civic hall on Saturday 29 June. 

I’ll be happy to bring along pre-ordered prints for collection for anyone who wishes to avoid postage charges.

Duncan

• Like 3

I'll be helping on the Modelstock ABS stand at EXPOEM tomorrow, Saturday 11 May (unfortunately due to family commitments I can't be there on Sunday). Modelstock will have a selection of prints for sale on BOTH days. If you want to, do say hello on Saturday.

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up and I wish you a happy , fulfilling and successful day .

Regrettably , living near Epsom and with the M25 closure , I can’t attend .

However , please pass on my very best to all exhibitors . stand holders, demonstrators and the organisers . 
I’ll miss my annual trip to Bracknell but I can’t face sitting in a jam all day .

I tried to go to Abingdon on a similar occasion and turned back after 2 hours with an eta showing the closing time  of the show .

Like Arnie “ I’ll be back” next year .

EMGS 7368

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/05/2024 at 11:10, drduncan said:

I'll be helping on the Modelstock ABS stand at EXPOEM tomorrow, Saturday 11 May (unfortunately due to family commitments I can't be there on Sunday). Modelstock will have a selection of prints for sale on BOTH days. If you want to, do say hello on Saturday.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan,

Just came here following the link in your signature.  I was at ExpoEM on the Sunday and spoke to Modelstock but did not see/think about 3D prints. 

I am not sure what is most difficult, keeping myself building structures, or keeping the GWR out of my Cambrian layout.  🙂  Early wagons would be interesting though.  Even more interesting is the E19 which can do turn, and turn about with the E25, which I have drawn but not cut out yet.  I am fairly certain that by 1895 they would have been using E35/E36 for through coaches, but that is another project.  If I ever make up the coaches for the 10:02 from Paddington then it will be needed anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Duncan,

Just came here following the link in your signature.  I was at ExpoEM on the Sunday and spoke to Modelstock but did not see/think about 3D prints. 

I am not sure what is most difficult, keeping myself building structures, or keeping the GWR out of my Cambrian layout.  🙂  Early wagons would be interesting though.  Even more interesting is the E19 which can do turn, and turn about with the E25, which I have drawn but not cut out yet.  I am fairly certain that by 1895 they would have been using E35/E36 for through coaches, but that is another project.  If I ever make up the coaches for the 10:02 from Paddington then it will be needed anyway.

I’m sorry I wasn’t there to be able to chat with you about the prints.

D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2024 at 01:15, drduncan said:
  • 4GWR-027   GWR Standard Gauge U20 1st/2nd 6 wheeled composite
  • 4GWR-028   GWR Standard Gauge U21 1st/2nd 6 wheeled composite
  • 4GWR-028   GWR Standard Gauge U28 1st/2nd 6 wheeled composite

Oh, I seem to have accidentally quoted these. Well, since we're on the topic I might as well ask if there is any planned timeline for them? 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Oh, I seem to have accidentally quoted these. Well, since we're on the topic I might as well ask if there is any planned timeline for them? 🙂

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for the email.

The broad gauge versions are almost ready - I’m having problems getting the springs to print reliably which may cause a further delay if a full redesign is needed. I’ve got a possible solution to the windows problem and I’m awaiting samples for trial fitting. The standard gauge oil lamp versions of the U21 and U28 should be ready for release at the same time as the BG versions, but all the SG U19 and gas lamp versions of the SG of U21 and U28 will need a redesigned end and roofs so will be a bit longer. All of them need instructions/prototype information writing and checking, which is the longest and hardest bit!

At the moment the probable release order will be:

E19 oil lamp versions BG and SG at the GWSG open and members day. I’m waiting for windows to be proved correct and need to finish the instructions.

L7/M2 oil lamp versions as above

E19 gas lamp versions hopefully by August

Then the Oil lamp versions of the U19/21/28 hopefully by September

The the gas lamp versions, probably before Xmas. 

If I can get any of them out earlier than this I will.

Which particular U19/21:28 versions are you after - the BG ones, right? 😜

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Duncan,

Are these going to be private sales or sold through Modelstock, and what sort of price are we looking at.  (You may not wish to say until you know exactly what the printing involves, but that is fine.)  Also, they may need to be Christmas presents.  I am in no rush as I am supposed to be building houses, honest.  

In the GWR 'Through Coach Workings' it states that if an eight wheel carriage is not available then two six wheelers should be used, or if two eight wheelers then three six wheelers.  Although I will need a six wheel brake it just so happens that the composites I had thought about to replace a tri-composite bogie were U21 and U28.  Just saying.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Duncan. Your list is like a sweet shop!

3 hours ago, drduncan said:

Which particular U19/21:28 versions are you after - the BG ones, right? 😜

He he, very tempting but I had better stick to SG.  I suppose the gas lamp versions are most appropriate for my period, but wouldn't mind a bit of conversion work. The E19 will be a good fit with my old Mallard D15, I think (5000 kms from my books right now).

4 hours ago, drduncan said:

All of them need instructions/prototype information writing and checking, which is the longest and hardest bit!

Both are certainly nice to have, but I wonder if there is a way to make this easier for you. E..G., Would a generic instruction sheet be possible? And does your target group need much prototype info?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Duncan,

Are these going to be private sales or sold through Modelstock, and what sort of price are we looking at.  (You may not wish to say until you know exactly what the printing involves, but that is fine.)  Also, they may need to be Christmas presents.  I am in no rush as I am supposed to be building houses, honest.  

In the GWR 'Through Coach Workings' it states that if an eight wheel carriage is not available then two six wheelers should be used, or if two eight wheelers then three six wheelers.  Although I will need a six wheel brake it just so happens that the composites I had thought about to replace a tri-composite bogie were U21 and U28.  Just saying.

Hi Chris,

The oil lamps are probably the best option for your period as gas lamp by and large came in (as conversions rather than built from new) in the 1900s although I’ll be putting the earliest and latest in service dates in the prototype info and on the product listings when the prints are ready.

As to price the 6w U/19/21/28s will probably be in the £30-40 range. You’ll get a one piece body, separate roof, under frame and brake  fittings as well as a jig to cut the footboards from brass L section and assemble them on supports, and laser cut windows.  You’ll need to source w-irons, axles boxes (maybe no promises at the moment), vac pipes, coupling hooks, door and grab handles and some 0.3mm brass or similar wire as well as 3x1mm L section brass for footsteps.

The E19 and F1 expect £50-60. You’ll get a one piece body, separate roof, under frame and brake fittings, bogies, footstep cutting and assembly jig. You’ll need to find vac pipes, coupling hooks, door and grab handles and some 0.3mm brass or similar wire as well as 3x1mm L section brass for footsteps. 

L7/M2 price probably £40-50 but what you get (and what you’ll need to source for yourself) will be as for the E19 or F1.

Youll be able to order these (and any of my prints) directly from me by emailing DR3Dmodels@outlook.com or via the Modelstock website when it is up and running.

Regards,

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Both are certainly nice to have, but I wonder if there is a way to make this easier for you. E..G., Would a generic instruction sheet be possible? And does your target group need much prototype info?

I think so, certainly given the discussion on various wagon threads. And I want to make finescale easy and that means giving as accurate prototype info as possible. Let’s face it getting to York to consult stock registers is not everyone’s idea of fun!

This will mean that we all can then choose whether we want to be as accurate as we can be, or be happy (and this is perfectly acceptable in my book as long as they buy my prints) with a generic number for that prototype but it might not have been in the configuration modelled for a particular year.

D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, drduncan said:

Hi Chris,

The oil lamps are probably the best option for your period as gas lamp by and large came in (as conversions rather than built from new) in the 1900s although I’ll be putting the earliest and latest in service dates in the prototype info and on the product listings when the prints are ready.

As to price the 6w U/19/21/28s will probably be in the £30-40 range. You’ll get a one piece body, separate roof, under frame and brake  fittings as well as a jig to cut the footboards from brass L section and assemble them on supports, and laser cut windows.  You’ll need to source w-irons, axles boxes (maybe no promises at the moment), vac pipes, coupling hooks, door and grab handles and some 0.3mm brass or similar wire as well as 3x1mm L section brass for footsteps.

The E19 and F1 expect £50-60. You’ll get a one piece body, separate roof, under frame and brake fittings, bogies, footstep cutting and assembly jig. You’ll need to find vac pipes, coupling hooks, door and grab handles and some 0.3mm brass or similar wire as well as 3x1mm L section brass for footsteps. 

L7/M2 price probably £40-50 but what you get (and what you’ll need to source for yourself) will be as for the E19 or F1.

Youll be able to order these (and any of my prints) directly from me by emailing DR3Dmodels@outlook.com or via the Modelstock website when it is up and running.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan,

Sounds reasonable to me.  Will the bogies be 6ft or 8ft?

• Like 1