Triang helicopter car

DAVREB05

Hi,

I am after some help please,

I have come across an old triang helicopter car with the helicopter, unfortunately I am unable to make the helicopter fly, I think something may be broken or missing from the underside of the wagon, so there is no way to wind the blades to make the helicopter fly. Would anyone know of a way to fix this, as I think it would be a fun thing to have.

Thanks David

Edited by DAVREB05
Spelling

• DAVREB05 changed the title to Triang helicopter car

If I recall correctly, the wagon is fitted with a clockwork spring knob on the platform which is wound up. The helicopter is located so that the rotor is linked to the knob. When the trigger is released the spring quickly unwinds and spins the rotor which caused the helicopter to fly up and away. If the spring in the wagon is broken it won't work... 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

There are photos of both the helicopter and the satellite (and track-side trip mechanism) here along with a glimpse of the instructions for the satellite. http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/2020/2020 Battle Space.html

The sites Battle Space page is here http://tri-ang.co.uk/indexbattle.html

I suspect the track-side trip mechanism is part no x.317 shown here http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=192

Photos of the underside of two wagons can be found here, one with an intact lever, the other with a broken lever. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373877534083?hash=item570cd66d83%3Ag%3AVKkAAOSwARZh4uGy&mkevt

I had one of these many years ago. Is the lever on your wagon (operated by the trip mechanism) intact?

Edit below:

You wind the mechanism by rotating the black circular plastic moulding on top of the flat wagon IIRC. Take care not to overwind it.

Edited by MartinRS
See text above

The Helicopter car has a large knob almost the full width of the platform IIRC which has a c lock spring and has to be would up  before the Helicopter is fitted.    It is released by a trackside striker, like the satellite launcher,    Unlike the Satellite launcher the Helicopter wagon has a bracket to take the Helicopter's tail.   The bracket holds the fuselage in line while the rotor spins up and lifts the helicopter off, this stops the  fuselage rotating for about a nano second while the copter takes off and thereafter the fuselage picks up speed in the opposite direction to the blades until it hits the ceiling and crashes in an undignified heap. My Helicopter has a damaged tail but the wagon was around  fairly recently, definitely  since Christmas.

2 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

I had one of those back in the day. What happened to mine was the force of the spring broke through the sides of the plastic "box" it was housed in. The Giraffe car was fun as well. :)

Hi Roy,

The giraffe car became the battlespace sniper car at one point.

sniper-car.jpg

• Like 1

I suppose if you get one of each you could have the giraffe ducking out of the way when the sniper pops up? :). I had a Battle Space turbo car as well. on the MRC's test tracks it went so fast it launched itself across the club room! the vintage controllers they had at the time gave out about 24v. 

9 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

What happened to mine was the force of the spring broke through the sides of the plastic "box" it was housed in

My younger brother's example went the same way, the plastic wagon moulding was distinctly 'soapy'. A family friend in the watch trade replaced it with a brass cased mechanism which worked even better, sadly the item disappeared in a house move.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
typo correction