The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

R.I.P Dave Myers aka The Hairy Biker.

NHY 581

• Moderators

Ouch; that's very sad indeed. Always seemed a bloke you'd love to spend some time with.

He moved to somewhere not too far from here and used one of the same butchers we do.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

It was The Hairy Bikers that got me into cooking. It wasnt just the recipes, but also the genuine love and friendship they had for each other which set them apart. 

The Agony Uncles podcast would have me crying with laughter. 

Their Paprika Chicken is in the slow cooker ready for tonight. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• NHY 581 changed the title to R.I.P Dave Myers aka The Hairy Biker.
  • RMweb Premium

Awe no . I knew he had cancer but hoped for the best . Very sad . I think the Hairy Bikers did bring something original to the screen with down to earth cooking we could all relate to  . He will be much missed , but of course thoughts with those that were closest to him 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

Sad news indeed. Have several of their cook books and have enjoyed their recipes, and their trips. Route 66 was a favourite having driven along it (but not on a motor bike). Was really hoping he would pull through. Many condolences to his family, friends, and fans. RIP Dave.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sad news.  I met Dave when they came to the rock to make a programme, a friend who works in the tourism department was his minder for the visit so I got a call to nip out of the office!  A very genuine and nice bloke, unlike many on the telly, what you see is what you got.

I had thought he had beaten cancer, but what a brave bloke to go on working as he did.  RIP.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

For me there was always something special about them. Two 'good blokes' as well as some cracking TV and culinary inspiration. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/29/genuinely-groundbreaking-how-the-hairy-bikers-dave-myers-redefined-masculinity-on-british-tv gives a view on why, how and friendship. 

Thoughts with them and families. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

The wife and I saw him perform with Si at a Warners hotel before Covid and they were brilliant. Dave told the audience that he'd bought himself a garden railway, and the way he was talking, it was DCC fitted.

RIP Dave.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 2

I had the good fortune of bumping into Dave on a few occasions. He lived a few miles away from me. He used to work with one of my uncles before the steel works shut. He was a very approachable person who was always happy to stop and talk.

A sad day.

RIP Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

That's very sad, there was something hugely likeable about him, him and Si clearly enjoyed a genuine friendship and their shows were great entertainment as well as encouraging people to cook. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, AY Mod said:

He moved to somewhere not too far from here and used one of the same butchers we do.

@AY Mod he lived at Rangemore, near Burton upon Trent.

@New Haven Neil he bought a Royal Enfield at the local bike shop in Burton

Info from local news report in link below.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/celebs-tv/shopkeepers-who-knew-bbc-hairy-9132815

I was rather surprised to learn of his former life as a make-up artist at the BBC for 23 years and that's where he met Si who was a director

• Like 2

Very sad news, we both enjoy their programmes and a lot of small and artisan food producers in this country are better off for the publicity they gained from a visit from Si and Dave.

• Like 3

The only TV cooks that I could enjoy watching.  Never actually met them directly, but I did have a cameo appearance when they were filming Beery Hikers around "Steam on the Met".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I member one episode where they made beef rendang, Mrs JJB ( who takes rendang very seriously......) said it was a good way to do it. 

• Like 5

Did the Beef Rendang tonight and sat down to eat it whilst watching the latest episode. Must have got some chilli in my eye whilst watching Dave getting excited driving a Fairlie. 

• Friendly/supportive 2