Accurascale P Class.

• RMweb Gold

I've just received the email regarding the decorated samples of the forthcoming P class and have a couple of questions relating to examples I have on order. 

First up is 325 in bells and whistles Wainwright livery. 

SKUH4-P-017-2web_1995x1995-1.jpg.a9aaa1cb0b9fb78b49e2abe80fcd2546.jpg

SKUH4-P-0171-2web_1995x1995.jpg.d8eab24702c93ef15eabe78e771ac947.jpgI have to say, this looks to be a different green, based on the images in the email. Now this may be the reproduction of the photo but it looks brighter and at odds with the earlier runs. The green should be darker. In addition, the lining seems to be missing the lighter green between the red and gold lining. I appreciate these are samples but it looks wrong to my eyes. 

Here's 178 from an earlier batch. 

20231204_111031-01.jpeg.ebc366632ed2b6a34e0c6929d3c03498.jpeg

Secondly, A556 in Southern lined green. 

I can't see any images of this in service with polished brass dome and safety valve thingy. Is this a preservation livery ? 

SKUH4-P-020-2web_1995x1995.jpg.0a9b9a3d0511933e18112838b4329ea0.jpg

SKUH4-P-0201-2web_1995x1995.jpg.3ce0b01ae5a0353df304f8d31e88a4ab.jpg

Here's an image taken from Klaus Marxs' The Wainwright P tanks ( Runpast Publishing ). 

20240301_115232-01.jpeg.3a49073afe5c7d6c7002fdc9a16e20be.jpeg

F.R Hebron's image, as per caption, depicts 556 in 1927 at Battersea and this must be relatively soon after being painted in Southern Green as there's certainly a photo showing it still in SE&CR Grey in May 1926 at Redhill. 

I mention this as if these are errors, they can hopefully be corrected prior to production. 

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

We do state in the email and blog re the SECR green in the third paragraph; 

"Firstly, we can confirm that the shade for the SECR green is incorrect, and was a mistake by the factory. Naturally, we will ensure that the correct shade of green will be used on the final models modellers will receive when production is complete."

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

The email did mention the green being wrong on the SECR livery Edit, crossed with Frans reply.

Also looks like they missed the lighter green between the Red/Yellow lining.

Don't think 556 is preservation livery because to my knowledge none of the P's have carried SR livery in pres. Probably should both be green.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon @NHY 581 Rob.

As well as the items mentioned in the email and blog regarding 325 in SECR lined Green, there are a number of elements with A556 that have already been noted and referred back to the factory, beyond the shiny dome! 

To be correct for the 1926 condition, the wrong buffer types have been fitted - they should be SR style and there are various decoration errors to correct, such as removal of Works Plate from the cab side, tops of buffer housings not painted, the lining on side tanks needs amending, the splasher needs to be body colour and lined, the safety valve cover should be green, the running numbers are missing from the buffer beams front and back, an SR locomotive plate needs adding to rear of bunker, the buffer is an incorrect shade of red, the steam dome should be green and the chimney cap should be black.

Hope that helps?

All the best,

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I have so much 'pre-ordered' gear that I just couldn't, but these look absolutely fantastic!!

Wonderful job, and that's just from the impression given - no idea what the actual locomotive was like, but I'm sure it'll be pretty close!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Bob,

We do state in the email and blog re the SECR green in the third paragraph; 

"Firstly, we can confirm that the shade for the SECR green is incorrect, and was a mistake by the factory. Naturally, we will ensure that the correct shade of green will be used on the final models modellers will receive when production is complete."

Cheers!

Fran 

Fran, my apologies. Missed the above. Living proof that I cannot multi-task and read an e-mail. 

35 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Afternoon @NHY 581 Rob.

As well as the items mentioned in the email and blog regarding 325 in SECR lined Green, there are a number of elements with A556 that have already been noted and referred back to the factory, beyond the shiny dome! 

To be correct for the 1926 condition, the wrong buffer types have been fitted - they should be SR style and there are various decoration errors to correct, such as removal of Works Plate from the cab side, tops of buffer housings not painted, the lining on side tanks needs amending, the splasher needs to be body colour and lined, the safety valve cover should be green, the running numbers are missing from the buffer beams front and back, an SR locomotive plate needs adding to rear of bunker, the buffer is an incorrect shade of red, the steam dome should be green and the chimney cap should be black.

Hope that helps?

All the best,

Paul.

Thanks , Paul. 

Comprehensive as ever. I'm looking forward to the "revised" decorated samples. Only question is that of the buffers. In the image above taken at Battersea, they do look a tad tapered.....

Rob. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Islesy said:

Afternoon @NHY 581 Rob.

Hope that helps?

All the best,

Paul.

Paul, just re read the above. One thing, see the photo in my original post and your proposed amendment to remove the works plate. No so. Still in place, certainly in 1927 so in that respect, I'd leave it there. 

And wheels, should they be lined green ? 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

You’re quite right @NHY 581 Rob, I’d misread my notes on that, the cab side plate should be blackened, not red, as opposed to it removing completely!

I have an original scan from Brian Stephenson of that bookplate, and the wheels definitely aren’t lined - what I think you're seeing is the highlight from the wheel/tyre edge there.

All the best,

Paul

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Am I missing something here? As I understand it the P class bluebell is exactly the same as the original run apart from perhaps different artwork on the box. Yes? And it's available to pre order for about £100? 

I have watched a Hattons one go through eBay the other day for £310. And a non runner in poor condition for £130 at the weekend. I thought these were quite well advertised. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

Am I missing something here? As I understand it the P class bluebell is exactly the same as the original run apart from perhaps different artwork on the box. Yes? And it's available to pre order for about £100? 

I have watched a Hattons one go through eBay the other day for £310. And a non runner in poor condition for £130 at the weekend. I thought these were quite well advertised. 

A fool and his money are soon parted..........

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

8 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

If they actually sold (a lot of stuff is posted on Ebay is way above station and either never sell or take a long time to sell....) then yes they must be panic buyers wanting it now and thinking they will never see another again.........

I'm actually surprised there are people out there capable of turning these cute locos into non-runners!! I have 7 and apart from a step falling off, have found them to be robust enough even after I ground out part of the chassis block on one to fit a sound chip.

BTW if accurascale decide to add sound to later models, there is plently of space to do so (once the block is modified), you can probably include a small stay alive. Forget about firebox glow as that will mean a fight around the motor worm and gear, and on these closed tight cabs, you would not notice anyway.

• RMweb Premium

This link gives a list of sold P class on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=hattons+p+class&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

'Bluebell' Non runner - £132

'Bluebell' runners - £235, £310, £270, £125. 

Madness. Seems the SECR lined green is also averaging £130 or so. I'm patiently waiting for an SECR and Bluebell when they come. But some people can't wait it seems. And/or they simply don't know that the Hattons Originals have been rescued and will continue with Accurascale. If you don't know that more are being made and 'Bluebell' is your must have loco, I guess they feel price is worth it. 

• Like 1

On 04/06/2024 at 14:16, JSpencer said:

BTW if accurascale decide to add sound to later models, there is plently of space to do so (once the block is modified), you can probably include a small stay alive. Forget about firebox glow as that will mean a fight around the motor worm and gear, and on these closed tight cabs, you would not notice anyway.

On the other hand, firebox glow would show off your crew if you decide to fit one.

• Like 1