The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Using Mobile phone only to log in to Doctor

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I duly tried to log in today.

I got the usual routine: 1) email address, 2) password, 3) random letters from the memorable word, 4) recaptcha images, at which point it now tells you that your mobile will now ring with a log in code , which you should enter onscreen (5).

Obviously that's as far as I got as there's no mobile for it to call.☹️

Good heavens, that's more security than the bank.😄

I have now e-mailed the surgery on their e-mail address and await a possibly human response.

• RMweb Premium

Two step authentication is not a bad thing, many such systems allow you to choose SMS or e-mail to receive a one time pass code. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Our GP’s have an E-consult you complete if you want an appointment that’s asks lots of questions, the surgery triage it and sometimes prescribe, recommend a pharmacist or arrange an appointment with a nurse or Doctor.

(If you call to make an appointment for a new condition the receptionist just completes the same form on their screen and it goes into the same triage queue).

This was great when I was trying to get treatment for psoriasis related issues as you can upload photos, no hanging on hold for hours etc etc.

When I caught a flu-type condition recently, that felt rather like the bronchitis I had a number of years back, it was absolutely torturous.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

Our GP’s have an E-consult you complete if you want an appointment that’s asks lots of questions, the surgery triage it and sometimes prescribe, recommend a pharmacist or arrange an appointment with a nurse or Doctor.

(If you call to make an appointment for a new condition the receptionist just completes the same form on their screen and it goes into the same triage queue).

This was great when I was trying to get treatment for psoriasis related issues as you can upload photos, no hanging on hold for hours etc etc.

When I caught a flu-type condition recently, that felt rather like the bronchitis I had a number of years back, it was absolutely torturous.

Ours has that too - great for some things, terrible for others, as it entirely depends on whether the issue you've got fits in with the questions (and possible answers) it offers.

5 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Ours has that too - great for some things, terrible for others, as it entirely depends on whether the issue you've got fits in with the questions (and possible answers) it offers.

Vey true.

I tried it when it was intoduced. Twenty minutes answering the questions and then told to phone the surgery.

I find it better to phone 111.  As long as you answer the questions in a way that prompts a response, you will be contacted by a GP within minutes. At least talking to a real person will convey how serious the situation is and will receive the appropriate response.

Bernard 

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Mike Buckner said:

Technology ups the ante.

When telephones came out, businesses got a phone to attract more custom. Before too long, businesses without a phone were losing custom. When the fax came, larger businesses were expected to have that. Today, in most cases a business sending handwritten communications would raise an eyebrow. In the early days of computers, dot-matrix printers were an advance over what came before - but now they would shout cheapskate. Nowadays, businesses are expected to have a website. Large businesses are expected to have a well-monitored social-media presence.

I have a mobile phone, but I'm not in love with it. Sometimes it's handy. There is a growing tendency to insist on mediating transactions via a (smart)phone, which makes life less easy for those without one - but easier for the authority insisting on it. In Brighton now, you can only pay a parking meter by phone - cash is not accepted - an administrative convenience, and a reduction in theft of the cash. The railways are pushing for "smart ticketing".

It will, I'm afraid, become increasingly awkward to be without one.

I agree with you about where it's going, and it's a very bad thing. It's reached the point where I think the government needs to step in and forbid things like parking payment by app only. It's fine as an addition, completely unacceptable as the only option, where it's merely being cheap and nasty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Two step authentication is not a bad thing, many such systems allow you to choose SMS or e-mail to receive a one time pass code. 

It's a much worse thing than just being able to phone up and talk to someone.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It's a much worse thing than just being able to phone up and, (eventually, when you've lost the will to live), talk to someone.

• RMweb Gold

Having just been caught by the same thing I managed to navigate through to the support page for reporting it as a problem.

The recent enhancement to require an OTP to a mobile 'phone discriminates against those, like me, that cannot use or do not posses a mobile 'pnone. To make matters worse there was no advance notice given within the system that this change was coming.

It is perfectly possible to send the OTP to a land line number - as an example both eBay and the Inland Revenue do this. It would seem  the Inland Revenue cares more about disability, inclusivity and its service users than the NHS.

I'll let you know if I get a response!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ian said:

It is perfectly possible to send the OTP to a land line number - as an example both eBay and the Inland Revenue do this.

And my bank when an online purchase needs validating

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, melmerby said:

I have now e-mailed the surgery on their e-mail address and await a possibly human response.

No

An automated reply. "Mobile phone required for website use"

FFS it's an e-mail address, why only for a mobile phone?

This is totally unacceptable.

I will be visiting the surgery on Monday and will ask to see the practice manager.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I will be visiting the surgery on Monday and will ask to see the practice manager.

Who in all likelihood will be away undertaking Diversity Inclusivity Training.   🙄

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Surprise, surprise!

The Practive Manager has just phoned to reply to the email I had sent and says they were just as unaware of the imminent change as I was.

The official e-mail arrived at the surgery at 8:45PM the day before the change.

I was told it was the NHS that instigated this change, not EMIS, as they required better security when logging on and the only way was by exclusive use of a mobile app and one time password sent by SMS.

I explained that this was in fact incorrect as you can also have one time pass codes sent to a landline when using a PC and my bank & e-bay were two of the businesses that are quite happy to do so.

She said that unfortunately they change has been done and cannot be altered but anyone that requires repeat prescriptions can e-mail them to the surgery.

So half a solution.

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 08/03/2024 at 10:33, Reorte said:

It's a much worse thing than just being able to phone up and talk to someone.

The problem is (certainly with my doctors surgery) that there are so many people trying to phone up and talk to someone it gridlocks the system and most people can simply never get through or speak to anyone. 

Now that my surgery has taken the booking of appointments online you do stand a fighting change of actually getting one. Those that can't use the online service can still phone and because the vast majority of people are booking online, actually speak to someone where that wasn't possible (most of the time) before.  It's split the "traffic"! 

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, admiles said:

The problem is (certainly with my doctors surgery) that there are so many people trying to phone up and talk to someone it gridlocks the system and most people can simply never get through or speak to anyone. 

Now that my surgery has taken the booking of appointments online you do stand a fighting change of actually getting one. Those that can't use the online service can still phone and because the vast majority of people are booking online, actually speak to someone where that wasn't possible (most of the time) before.  It's split the "traffic"! 

That's part of why I said I don't have a problem with such things as additions, it's when it becomes the only option that I start taking an incredibly dim view of the modern world (not that that takes me much effort!)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, admiles said:

The problem with my surgery is that most people still phone for appointments, so getting through can be extremely difficult,even though there has been online booking for many years.

It's probably because there is a larger proprtion of elderly peopleon the books as there are a lot of 2 or3 bed bungalows around, which by their nature usually have retired people as occupants

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The problem with my surgery is that most people still phone for appointments, so getting through can be extremely difficult,even though there has been online booking for many years.

It's probably because there is a larger proprtion of elderly peopleon the books as there are a lot of 2 or3 bed bungalows around, which by their nature usually have retired people as occupants

The problem for the doctors is that the people who are in most frequent need  of medical treatment do tend to be the elderly, and whilst some of these new methods may suit youngsters - including the medics - they don't work for the majority of their customers.

On 11/03/2024 at 13:25, melmerby said:

She said that unfortunately they change has been done and cannot be altered but anyone that requires repeat prescriptions can e-mail them to the surgery.

If you're on repeat prescriptions there shouldn't be much need to contact the doctor at all.  All I do is log on to www.pharmacy2u.co.uk and tick the ones I need.  The postman brings the pills a few days later.  It does have to be set up by the practice and it seems to suit them too because they can get the most junior one to rubber stamp all the requests, but it doesn't work so well for some controlled drugs which need additional approvals.

Of course that doesn't solve the problem of trying to get an appointment when I do need to see a doctor.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 20:01, Michael Hodgson said:

It suits the police state as well - if you're carrying one the old bill can locate you if they want to.

It's the introduction of mandatory id cards by the back door.

I empathise Michael, but let's not run away with ourselves here. Owning a trackable mobile is a consumer choice, we're hardly in the territory of mandatory bodily chip insertion or "papers please".

I have actually had CID around to check my WiFi router after a serious sexual offence occurred locally. Frankly if crims are dumb enough to not turn off their phone and it leads to a conviction then I'll take it.

C6T.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I empathise Michael, but let's not run away with ourselves here. Owning a trackable mobile is a consumer choice, we're hardly in the territory of mandatory bodily chip insertion or "papers please".

It is, however, very disturbing just how many people are quite happy with that. If you'd raised it as a concern twenty or thirty years ago you'd have been told to stop being so absurd with your exaggeration dystopian views of the future, people would never go along with that.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

It is, however, very disturbing just how many people are quite happy with that. If you'd raised it as a concern twenty or thirty years ago you'd have been told to stop being so absurd with your exaggeration dystopian views of the future, people would never go along with that.

What I can't get my head round is - if you are law-abiding - why anyone would care about their whereabouts being known to the authorities.

In fact, for anyone in any way 'vulnerable' it could be positively beneficial!

I know some people have an objection in principle, but I've never really understood why.

CJI.

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/03/2024 at 20:01, Michael Hodgson said:

It suits the police state as well - if you're carrying one the old bill can locate you if they want to.

It's the introduction of mandatory id cards by the back door.

As a newborn in 1949, I was required to have an identity card - which I still have! I cannot conceive of a reason why I would have objected to the requirement having continued until the present day.

Why would I not wish the 'Old Bill' to know to know where I am? Being able to prove who I am could, in the event of my being mistakenly suspected of some misdemeanor, avoid being detained whilst my identity was established.

If one does not transgress the law, one has nothing to fear from compulsory identity cards.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

If one does not transgress the law, one has nothing to fear from compulsory identity cards.

Suppose you get mugged and the criminal has taken your home address and other details from your compulsory ID card in your wallet - will you be okay with that?

Suppose you forget your wallet with your compulsory ID card inside it and a police officer asks demands your ID card just because - will you be OK with that?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

My surgery in Radstock has been using this system for months and is it far quicker and efficient than it ever was before.  I can get answers/medication/appointment dates within hours (if not within the hour) using it.

I cannot fault it.

Edit:

My dad's (he's 85) surgery swapped to this system a month or so back and he was invited in and given lessons on how to use it.  Patients at his practice can also still phone in for appointments etc if they don't have a smart phone or computer to access it's services. 

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As a newborn in 1949, I was required to have an identity card - which I still have! I cannot conceive of a reason why I would have objected to the requirement having continued until the present day.

Why would I not wish the 'Old Bill' to know to know where I am? Being able to prove who I am could, in the event of my being mistakenly suspected of some misdemeanor, avoid being detained whilst my identity was established.

The concept of ID cards is one I find utterly repulsive. Not because I fear misuse, but because I find the whole idea utterly at odds with a basic respect for people and privacy. You have no right whatsoever to know or do or compel anything about any other person unless they are harming you in some way. The same's true of the law (ultimately the authorities are just other people). ID cards are just being tagged and branded in another form.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 2