Laser cut buildings.

Some time ago, I saw someone using a laser cut, either farmhouse or pub. basically it was an MDF shell, to which you add your own window and finish. Can't for the life of me remember who it was, or the manufacturer, just that it was 4mm scale.

Anyone know?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Gilbert said:

That's it. Thank you. Obviously not using the correct term when searching.

Just bought this,

s-l1600.png.a9d3027c4cdb2c5888f6c287e11d14f5.png

A bit of work shouldgive me a reasonable representation of the Smiths arms Hotel at Aberbargoed.

Aberbargoed.jpg.89fa6a0d747286d839d1ad14a23e5c23.jpg

Could add of extra windows upstairs and block out a couple of doors on the ground floor.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 12

14 hours ago, Gilbert said:

That's a fascinating photo - I shall follow with interest.

I'm just messing about with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125003110033?itmmeta=01HRABJ1A60EQXBT32C16HGT0T&hash=item1d1ac41691:g:HTUAAOSwU-1hkWXu

Make a nice pub in the middle of a terrace.

As for the terrace I have purchased, I will probably replace the windows with some Tichy Trains sash windows and the doors from the same source. May get another to convert to the Traveller's Rest on the other side of the road.

bedwellty.jpg.0192f58a547389ccc56f434dd4a8facf.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Apologies for the slight thread drift, but the West Mon Foden gets my juices flowing, here's a better picture;

West Monmouthshire Omnibus Board Buses 1 Foden with West Monmouthshire Omnibus Board bodywork and 30 Foden Willowbrook 1965

That confirms the colour of the Foden bus. Now to find a model.

Edit:  The bus on the right, is the bus in the picture of Aberbargoed.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JZ said:

That confirms the colour of the Foden bus. Now to find a model.

Edit:  The bus on the right, is the bus in the picture of Aberbargoed.

Be careful though, the actual colour is more towards maroon, that photo is a bit bleached out.

I'm not aware of a rtr or kit for the bus though.

Mike.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Be careful though, the actual colour is more towards maroon, that photo is a bit bleached out.

I'm not aware of a rtr or kit for the bus though.

Mike.

I have found pictures of Leylands on the route, so maybe that is what to get. And the West Mon transfers are available on ebay.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 17:02, JZ said:

Just bought this,

A bit of work shouldgive me a reasonable representation of the Smiths arms Hotel at Aberbargoed.

Could add of extra windows upstairs and block out a couple of doors on the ground floor.

I saw that b&w pic on Facebook the other day and thought it'd make a great small layout,good luck with the build.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

It’s certainly intense; the ridiculously low bridge and precipitous hill, and 4 pubs within spitting distance of each other.  Station platforms in unfeasible proximity as well.  A lot of modelling in a very small space.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2024 at 08:31, RobinofLoxley said:

Imagine that crawling up the hill. It would definitely have been faster on foot

My mum spent her childhood in Wattstown, Rhondda Fach, which has similar declivities, and remembered earning farthings for pushing old ladies up them!   

• Funny 1

On 07/03/2024 at 00:31, RobinofLoxley said:

Imagine that crawling up the hill. It would definitely have been faster on foot

Apparently for steep enough hills, an extra lever could be added to prevent roller-coaster runaway type incidents - https://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=212 

I don't know if it was a Foden, but my dad remembered the issues when the single decker bus in Denbigh was converted to coal gas during the war, with a coke furnace towed at the back and a giant bag of gas on the roof.  At the foot of the steep hill in Denbigh, first all the passengers had to disembark at the bottom, the fire was stoked up in the generator - which made it belch copious amounts of smoke - and then the bus would inch up the hill finally meeting up with the passengers who had all reached the top well ahead of it and were sitting on their parcels.  

On 06/03/2024 at 17:02, JZ said:

Just bought this,

Great shot. Looks like a South Wales des res.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

South Wales atmosphere factor at least 8.  For 10, you need Cwmmer Afan.  And Glyncorrwg. 

You mean the houses in these places or just the places themselves, Johnster?

Don't forget the Rhondda Tunnel and North Rhondda Platform!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

You mean the houses in these places or just the places themselves, Johnster?

Don't forget the Rhondda Tunnel and North Rhondda Platform!

That whole area, between Avon Colliiery and Dyffryn Rhondda, including the Corrwg pits.  Hemmed in by threatening mountains, forbidding, like a big grey room most of the time when the cloud is down, insane single track railways all over the place, the constant sound of clanking overhead ropeway spoil bins, no trees, licensed refreshment room, rain…

South Wales optima prime.  If you couldn’t hear a male voice choir singing Sanctaidd in your head you had no Brythonic DNA whatsoever.  Cwmdimbath is two valleys over, but is inspired by Abergwynfi, and a day in August 1969 when me and the lads were making our way back from playing with the austerities at Maesteg NCB.  It was a hot and sultry day and the storm broke shortly after the bubble car deposited us at Cwmmer Afan.  The lads took cover in the refresh, but I’m made of sterner (or possibly pottier) stuff and hung around soaking up the atmosphere.   Magnificent!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone treats the mdf before building? My layout such as it is is in a garden shed which with damp issues may well be prone to warping?

Does the mdf need sealing?

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest sealing with pva as a default if you are going to use the buildings outside in any case, rovex, and to seal the parts before assembly as well so as to prevent damp getting into the joins by capilliary action.  Once that's done you won't have to worry about it any more even if it turns out later that sealing is not necessary...

• Thanks 1