Railway Closed for replacement of signs

More likely that there is a shortage of journalists who actually understand what they are writing about; rather like when the rule book was given to an organisation to simplify the English used and got ‘ a signal further beyond’ (or something like that)  for a Distant signal!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bob83a said:

Plymouth and Exeter rail disruption as ageing signs replaced https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-68585561

Another case of BBC poor reporting, or Network Rail muddying the issue.

I think it is the signal replacement that is the major cause, not just a few speed limit or whistle signs.

A simple case of not proof reading your article before you publish to notice that a couple of instances of 'signal' has autocorrected to 'signs'

11 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

A simple case of not proof reading your article before you publish to notice that a couple of instances of 'signal' has autocorrected to 'signs'

Even when proof read such errors may not get spotted as the author may read what they think they wrote not what is actaully on the screen.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

Even when proof read such errors may not get spotted as the author may read what they think they wrote not what is actaully on the screen.

I've done that myself many times, luckily only on RMWeb.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Shows a lack of editorial oversight and comprehension too.

The fact the heading says 'Signs' would, you'd have hoped, led to some quizzical looks somewhere. 

Lord Reith will be rotating at velocity in his eternal slumber.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

And the spell checker is no use if you use the wrong word but spell it correctly

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The previous BBC article actually referred to signals, but now they're back to the peace poor journalism I've come to expect.

Given that PPI has been done and dusted, I wonder if I can claim for PPJ? 😇

On 17/03/2024 at 11:00, woodenhead said:

I've done that myself many times, luckily only on RMWeb.

Time for a "me too" post!! 😉😳

Always proof read messages after pressing post or send...!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️