Epoxy glue

What Epoxy are people using? I’ve been using JB weld quick setting which does go off in 5 minutes but seems never to go really hard I seem to remember that Araldite use to set solid and you could drill and tap it! This stuff always seems slightly soft.

I always use Araldite (loyalty here to the local company that apparently invented it?).

I've always thought the 24hour version to be stronger, but properly mixed, the 5 min version (I always leave it longer though) is fine in the modelling world.

I remember going to the 1st Duxford Air Museum open day, where they had a BMC 1100 car suspended off the floor, with its rope(?) araldited to the roof. The Ciba-Geigy factory was just down the road....

A friend of mine used it to repair a hole in his cars thermostat housing, lasted for years.  The original Araldite is the best I've used.  The 5 minute stuff is OK for less demanding jobs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I use Devcon, bought in fairly large bottles from Squires tools.  For modelling I use the 5 minute setting stuff which works fine.  I did buy the 3 ton strength stuff by mistake once, it is great for jobs at home. Repaired a chair with it several years ago and the bond is still rock hard.

• RMweb Premium

Since the disappearance of Araldite slow, 2 ton Devcon.

Older araldite was best epoxy, more recent stuff is poor in comparison.

• Agree 1

I use the standard JB Weld.  As well as sticking things together like split chassis axles.  I have used it to replace missing detail (e.g. broken sleepers, damaged buffer beams etc.), for filling, casting and reinforcement.  It is also good for repairing and reinforcing damaged plastic casings and I have used it to repair and reinforce many household items including laptops, vacuum cleaners, sunglasses, broken self tapping screw mounts, window blinds, shower door bearings etc..  It's very tough if mixed correctly and can be carved quite easily after an hour or two before it sets really hard.  I'm sure other epoxies are also good, though I quite like the grey appearance of JB Weld.  There's quite a few examples on my "BNR" layout thread on another forum for new railway modellers and one or two on the thread of the same name on here.