Smiths three link coupling and coupling distances

I've recently started a small Finescale 00 project and equipped my four wheel vans with Smiths 3 link couplings. However if I couple them together correctly using the third coupling loop the wagons are coupled far too far apart. I have to use the second link to get a scale distance between the vehicles. That leaves the third dangling.  Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? It looks odd to me... 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Remember that everything in 00 modelling - even fine scale - is a compromise.  Smiths couplings are, if I understand it correctly, deliberately overscale to accommodate this.  You could try some other makes or reducing the size of the links. Whether or not these would work on your railway would depend on lots of factors including your minimum radii, actual fidelity of the rolling stock buffers and buffer beams, and how you have attached the couplings. That wouldn’t deal with the overscale hooks though - another can of worms.  

Yes, the coupling distance is greater than prototypical when using many 3 links, not just Smith’s, but is often necessary to accommodate the compressions/compromises of railway modelling in anything but the strictest of standards.

Edited by BoD
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BoD said:

Remember that everything in 00 modelling - even fine scale - is a compromise.  Smiths couplings are, if I understand it correctly, deliberately overscale to accommodate this.  You could try some other makes or reducing the size of the links. Whether or not these would work on your railway would depend on lots of factors including your minimum radii, actual fidelity of the rolling stock buffers and buffer beams, and how you have attached the couplings.

Yes, the coupling distance is greater than prototypical when using many 3 links, not just Smith’s, but is often necessary to accommodate the compressions/compromises of railway modelling in anything but the strictest of standards.

I hadn't appreciated just how overscale they were. My eyes are getting old!

Yes, it seems in this case using the middle (seconds) three link to couple is the sensible compromise. You get scale distance but with one link "spare". It's not ideal  but it means the coupling are easy (or easier) to use.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, fezza said:

My eyes are getting old!

Mine too - and some of the ‘closer’ to scale couplings and smaller hooks are ‘flippin’ hard if not impossible to use.  If you can use the second link without causing derailments then it is down to you to decide if the hanging third link is something worth putting up with to facilitate closer coupling.  

As an aside, I have started to move to using 3 links mostly in fixed rakes - but that is down mostly to age and eyesight rather than personal choice. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BoD said:

Mine too - and some of the ‘closer’ to scale couplings and smaller hooks are ‘flippin’ hard if not impossible to use.  If you can use the second link without causing derailments then it is down to you to decide if the hanging third link is something worth putting up with to facilitate closer coupling.  

As an aside, I have started to move to using 3 links mostly in fixed rakes - but that is down mostly to age and eyesight rather than personal choice. 

Yes, the hanging third link is not too noticeable really and is better I feel than having coupled stock too far apart. I've not had any buffer locking yet. I don't think I'm brave enough to go with anything finer scale - the frustration of coupling would probably ruin any pleasure I got from the improved appearance. 

• RMweb Gold

Having used Smiths links, in various forms for 30 years or so, I have the following observations:

- I normally put a 'fine' link between the first link (the one in the hook) and the end link

- I tend to us a normal link for the first link (in the hook), purely because with the fine links, you sometimes get difficulty lifting that link freely over the front curve of the hook. Reducing the depth of the hook by filing some material off the front is one way around this

- I did switch to using the finer links for the end link, but found these more difficult to use under exhibition conditions, so switched back to using the 'normal' links

- I always, without fail, now fit steel end links now and use a magnetic shunting pole wherever I can.

The use of magnetic shunting poles has absolutely transformed the use of 3-link couplings, for me, it was a real game-changer.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I use Smiths couplings, yes the normal version is over scale, but at least that gives you half a chance to use them, I would sooner have that comprimise than have an unprototypical alterative, thats my personel view, I use an LED pen torch with a bent wire soldered on to use them, works for me, I like to uncouple where required rather than where the magnets are, having said that I use Kadees on by American layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Having used Smiths and Slaters the Slaters ones are much finer but they're also shorter and you'll need to open the hook out (unless that's changed since I last bought some). Depending on what your minimum curve is you may find you need sprung buffers, or sprung hooks, or both, or that it just doesn't work at all on sharper curves. I can get them to work on R3 (19") curves but only short wheelbase wagons and dead slow. 

These days I can't see the hooks anyway so they're just cosmetic with a Lincs coupler or simplified AJ doing the actual coupling.