Beyond Paradise S2E1; 22 March 2024

pb_devon

The above drama (?) featured a murder on a steam railway train, of a performer in a train murder mystery trip.

Railway scenes were filmed at the South Devon Railway, Buckfastleigh, with a (presumed) cgi generated tunnel portal, as the SDR does not have a tunnel!

Another cgi scene had a distant scene of a steam train crossing Calstock viaduct (on the Gunnislake branch of NR). Certainly cgi as if they had done it for real us locals would have surely heard of it!

It is a BBC programme so available on iplayer.

Edited by pb_devon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The loco used was GWR 45xx 5526.

As the series is set in present day South Devon, no fiddling with era was required.

The elephant in the room is all the filming is done in Looe and South East Cornwall!

• Like 1

There is an interview for local radio on BBC Sounds with Will Smith of the SDR about the making of the episode.

I cannot work out how to link to the clip, so search on the Sounds site.

On 24/03/2024 at 09:07, TEAMYAKIMA said:

In one shot from inside the tunnel, it's a pannier tank going in and a 2-6-2T coming out - classic film 'mistake'.

And another classic film/TV 'mistake' of some idiot getting on the footplate, accidentally opening the regulator and the train moving off (Twice!). Left in gear and no brakes applied then?

The detective character asking about any railway staff being on the train and being told a driver and a fireman. No Guard then?

How they conveniently didn't show how the loco driver got off the footplate of his moving locomotive, entered a coach to stick a knife in the victim and then get back again - in a tunnel, in the dark!

How the railway's rules on dealing with a report of debris on the line are to tell the fireman to get off the moving loco, also when in a tunnel, and walk alongside the loco.  🤪

And how the loco driver told the detective "Get orf my train". As if any driver would say that. Get orf my footplate, or orf my engine, yes, but orf my train?  I'm just not buying it.

Train Station. 🥴

I needed to lie down in a darkened room after that lot. 😄

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Ruston said:

Train Station.

🥴

Afraid quite commonly used these days. I can understand why - a railway station use to provide a lot of rail based services beyond passengers. Now for the majority getting on and off a train is their sole purpose so a train station.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Ruston said:

And another classic film/TV 'mistake' of some idiot getting on the footplate, accidentally opening the regulator and the train moving off (Twice!). Left in gear and no brakes applied then?

The detective character asking about any railway staff being on the train and being told a driver and a fireman. No Guard then?

How they conveniently didn't show how the loco driver got off the footplate of his moving locomotive, entered a coach to stick a knife in the victim and then get back again - in a tunnel, in the dark!

How the railway's rules on dealing with a report of debris on the line are to tell the fireman to get off the moving loco, also when in a tunnel, and walk alongside the loco.  🤪

And how the loco driver told the detective "Get orf my train". As if any driver would say that. Get orf my footplate, or orf my engine, yes, but orf my train?  I'm just not buying it.

Train Station. 🥴

I needed to lie down in a darkened room after that lot. 😄

I think the problem is that you/we are judging it as a serious drama, whereas it's really a comedy or maybe a comedy drama. Both Kris Marshall and Sally Bretton made their names in comedy and if you look at it as a comedy it's OK.

• Agree 1