USA Tank Locomotive (S100) Drivers side?

What side was drive and fireman in the SR USA S100 USA Tank locomotives. I know most UK locos are left hand drive (except GWR), but most US are left hand drive. I also know they modified them when bought by SR, but I cant imagine them rebuilding all the cab layout, however they where also built for use here and the continent.

So in summary. S100 USA tank, driver left or right hand side? Thanks

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Left Hand drive

Sorry to disagree but I've spent a lot of time around railroads in the western U.S. and have yet to see a LHD loco.

Anyway back to the OP.  Whilst all the S100's were built as RHD I wasn't sure if the S.R. modified them to LHD so I referred to Rich Tourret's 'U.S. Army Transportation Corps Locomotives'.  Quote: "The modifications made by the SR consisted of fitting vacuum brake equipment with a Gresham ejector over the reversing lever, fitting steam-heating connections, addition of sliding windows as well as minor alterations such as additional lamp irons".  No mention of change from RHD to LHD which would entail a lot of re-engineering although the Chinese did it with their S160's

As Tourret is/was pretty much the expert on USATC/WD locos I'm prepared to believe that the USA tanks were right hand drive throughout their lives.  Could be a good excuse for a field trip to the K&ESR to check though! 

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Left Hand drive

Opps sorry my bad, I have checked again and yes they were Right Hand drive. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Fettster42 said:

...I know most UK locos are left hand drive (except GWR), but most US are left hand drive. ...

In 'modern' times, perhaps - many pre-grouping railways in the UK used right hand drive but there was a trend towards LHD after grouping  ..... some locos were converted ( Gresley A1s ) and some classes had examples of either hand ( LMS 4F, Southern N ).

3 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

Sorry to disagree but I've spent a lot of time around railroads in the western U.S. and have yet to see a LHD loco.

Anyway back to the OP...

Many thanks Ray. Super detailed answer. Fortunately I hadn't press pay on my modelu crew order so I can make sure they are the right way round. 

And I'm not far from KESR and we have a bank holiday weekend coming up...

• Like 1