Hornby paint restorer

kelsh003

Hello all,

I have one of the modern Hornby Dublo releases, Merchant Navy 35011 General Steam Navigation in BR Green but for some reason, some of the paintwork has become blemished/damaged.

No idea how this has happened, I take car of my models but perhaps its oil residue attacking the paint after servicing.

I wondered if anyone knew of a paint restorer/somewhere I could get it sent for some remedial work?

Hornby cannot help me sadly, and I do not trust myself to do this so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kelsh003 said:

some of the paintwork has become blemished/damaged.

probably worth posting a photo so people have some idea what needs fixing.

50 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

probably worth posting a photo so people have some idea what needs fixing.

Photos for reference, hope these highlight the issue 

IMG_20240328_212928766.jpg

IMG_20240328_212956623.jpg

57 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

Likely to be oil contamination. Wipe off with soft dry tissue.

Have attempted but it's still present, so it's clearly done something to the paint. Hence asking if anyone knows a paint restorer etc.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not aware of a magic solution.

Firstly I'd try cleaning it thoroughly with a soap. Failing that white spirit - but not excessively rubbed. More extreme polish out with T cut or brasso or 2000 grade wet and dry but you'd have to do the whole loco and it will end up shiny. I'd dull it again with weathering personally but I don't leave mine pristine anyway.

Ultimately to get a pristine finish, if cleaning doesn't work I suspect you'd have to get it resprayed.

Spectacle lens wipes may work but could attack the paint, no way of knowing without giving it a try. In service locos were rarely pristine and sometimes had patched up paintwork. 

I would try and rub lightly with a cotton bud dampened with thinners. If that does not work try the least obtrusive area with a cotton bud and T cut and if that removes marking it is likely to leave a shiny area which can be flashed over with an air brush and satin varnish. You may end up re-varnishing the whole body once all marks removed but should be easy enough on the air smoothed model.

Hope that helps

John

• RMweb Gold

That Bulleid oil bath …….!  

Seriously though, the problem does look as if it might be related to the paint finish Hornby use on metal bodies as whenever I’ve had the misfortune to transfer oil to a plastic body from any manufacturer, a gentle wipe with a tissue or cotton bud moistened with a very minute dab of washing up liquid always resolves. (It also works well on crudded up mobile phone screens).

It would be interesting to hear from others with afflicted models and of their solutions.

Well thanks everyone for the help! I didn't expect so much advice.

I have tried a cotton bud with fairy liquid on, and while it has helped a little, the vast majority of whatever the hell has happened to the body is still present.

I am nowhere near skilled enough to do a repaint etc, and do not want to damage the paintwork anymore so a bit of a loss as to what I shall do. I might well send it into somewhere such as Neville Grove for some weathering etc, which may nicely hide the defects and make the loco look a bit more 'realistic'.