RMweb

Derailment West Ealing

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Traksy shows services up and running, some late, obviously not that serious, nothing oou.

Delays show 10-15 mins mostly, a few upto 30 which isnt that unusual, certainly on Southern those delays dont get any attention from the media.

Maybe a BBC staffer was late for work and short of a story.

Edited by adb968008

Just after 6 this morning it was chaos at Acton Main Line with various Crossrail trains stacked up on the Relief lines. Advice was to go to Ealing and come back, I ignored that when I saw a late running class 9 ex Heathrow crossing over at Acton west on the maps, lo and behold it got me to Padd. What would have been the 06.10 from Acton ex Heathrow was stuck at Hanwell, and the GB train was sat in West Ealing loop as I overtook it about 5.45.

Travelling home on an IET, the lead bogie of the loco was clearly in the dirt. Edit to add, the BBC article now has pictures of it. They didn't earlier.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

There appears to be a trap point on the end of the loop in satellite views of the area, so presumably the loco ran through that and derailed?

Correct. GPL to exit the No. 1 Loop line, with a main aspect signal (plus the protecting point the loco derailed on) not far after.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

There appears to be a trap point on the end of the loop in satellite views of the area, so presumably the loco ran through that and derailed?

Yup

The train SPADed the signal and the trap point did its job by derailing the loco away from the running lines.

The main issue is that because the train was carrying aviation fuel tankers it was classed as carrying 'dangerous goods' and as such extra checks had to be carried out to make sure there was no damage to the wagons before adjacent lines could be re-opened.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

There seemed to be a lot of rain around London last night so wonder if that would have had an impact? 

Nope.

It was just a bog standard SPAD....

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Is there a TPWS train stop at the signal, or does the trap replace that?

TPWS does not suspend the laws of physics!

It takes time for the brakes on any train to apply and even longer for them to actually brig the train to a halt.

As such a trap point is still an essential tool as that physically guarantees the train will be diverted away from adjacent lines if a SPAD occurs, particularly if the associated signal has no overlap (and thus no distance for the brake application to take effect) - as is usually the case with loops and sidings.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

TPWS does not suspend the laws of physics!

For goodness' sake calm down. I asked whether there was TPWS at the signal, not whether TPWS renders the trap unnecessary.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

For goodness' sake calm down. I asked whether there was TPWS at the signal, not whether TPWS renders the trap unnecessary.

My Apologies,

I believe there is. However the short distance between the signal and the trap point means the train wouldn't have had to be going that fast for it to still come off the rails at the trap.

(It was just the leading bogie of the loco which ended up in the dirt by the way).

• Friendly/supportive 1