RMweb

Cavalry horses run amok in London.

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Distressing stuff.

Yes, I saw the poor things earlier.

I was unimpressed with the headline “Runaway horses gallop past Post Office inquiry” - really BBC, is that what you take away from this? 🙄

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Yes, I saw the poor things earlier.

I was unimpressed with the headline “Runaway horses gallop past Post Office inquiry” - really BBC, is that what you take away from this? 🙄

Unfortunately the BBC seems to have gone rather tabloid in its headlines these days.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

When I was a lad a story like "Horse bolted in the High Street, stopped by Constable Jones" would be lucky to make it to the local rag.

Handling horses has always had its hazards.

Horses had enough sense to stop short of conventional heavy wooden level crossing gates, but I can't help wondering what would happen if they encountered a modern full barrier crossing.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

When I was a lad a story like "Horse bolted in the High Street, stopped by Constable Jones" would be lucky to make it to the local rag.

Whether something's newsworthy or not is down to how unusual it is at the time, and these days horses running around central London out of control is pretty unusual.

Seeing a car would've been newsworthy once.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Horses had enough sense to stop short of conventional heavy wooden level crossing gates, but I can't help wondering what would happen if they encountered a modern full barrier crossing.

And then the Greeat war decimated horse numbers and such incidents became less frequent... 😇

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I recall the moment when some large pigs got away from Driffield cattle market.....and ran amok....

That's no way  to talk about the local police force .      😅

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I once knew a cop that had a large belt buckle with P I G cast on it.

between the letters in real small print:

Pride Integrity Guts

• Like 1

When I was a kid in Essex a herd of horses used to regulary escape their field and harge down our road flat oUt .Very scary .This was i addition to the milkmans ,coal mans and rag and bone nags .My wife hopes the poor army horses get retired to Hillside sanctuary  in Norfolk .just a few miles from where they often get a holiday on Holkham sands.

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

How big do you think the level crossing gates are?

You're talking about cavalry horses not you local carthorse. Grand National fences are about six foot high with a bloomin' great ditch and they usually clear that no problem.

Two of them were five miles away in a matter of minutes!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a little knowledge of horses and can say that as herd animals they react to each others' moods, hence mass-panic here, and as flight animals they run from the unknown if feeling threatened. That they ran into vehicles and damaged themselves is no surprise, as they really aren't very bright - my 6-month ownership of a donkey revealed he had twice their intelligence - so all the stuff they had already learned about traffic, streets and vehicles simply had no bearing on their behaviour. I hope their scars, mental and physical, can be healed soonest, but the former will take longer, I am sure.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have a little knowledge of horses and can say that as herd animals they react to each others' moods, hence mass-panic here, and as flight animals they run from the unknown if feeling threatened. That they ran into vehicles and damaged themselves is no surprise, as they really aren't very bright - my 6-month ownership of a donkey revealed he had twice their intelligence - so all the stuff they had already learned about traffic, streets and vehicles simply had no bearing on their behaviour. I hope their scars, mental and physical, can be healed soonest, but the former will take longer, I am sure.

There's a racehorse stables near my parents and for quite a while all these fancy racehorses were accompanied by a donkey because apparently being rather more intelligent they end up leading the herd and help keep them under control and behaving themselves.

• Informative/Useful 5