Dapol OO 14XX and 517 Class 0-4-2Ts

papagolfjuliet

• papagolfjuliet changed the title to Dapol OO 14XX and 517 Class 0-4-2Ts
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

It will be nice to have a decent RTR 14XX at last to replace the ancient Hornfix model and the DJ dud, and the 517 opens up a whole new world of Victorian GWR branch line modelling.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9

Great news but just wondering if Dapol have heard another manufacturer are bring the former Hattons tooling back to market. The hints I've seen and the word from retailers is that Accurascale are close. Another Manor face off...??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

What awesome news! And there was me thinking, "Yeah, I've just about got all the locomotives I need for my planned layout now!" Given the autocoach they are building, it isn't really that much of a surprise when you think about it.

• Like 4

Modelling the 517 class is very brave. There were so many variations it’s doubtful if any two were identical. Their history is very complicated with some starting as saddle tanks. There were different wheelbases, cab and bunker shapes. Some had deep valences, others shallow valences. Some had full cabs, others half cabs. 

There were numerous other variations but in spite of this I’m pretty sure I’ll buy one.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Which retailer will commission 1473 ‘Fair Rosamund’, I wonder? As this used to potter past my house (before my time) several times a day for many years, it’s one which I really ought to buy.

Paul

• Like 9

Just now, exet1095 said:

Which retailer will commission 1473 ‘Fair Rosamund’, I wonder? As this used to potter past my house (before my time) several times a day for many years, it’s one which I really ought to buy.

Paul

1473 had a shorter wheelbase with inside bearings to the trailing wheels.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

1473 had a shorter wheelbase with inside bearings to the trailing wheels.

Ah… thank you.  I shall ask my neighbour to have a look at the picture his father took of the engine and auto trailer at Shipton Halt some years before WW2.  Maybe name and number plates with added licence in this case!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Wonderful but very surprising after the recent turmoil with the Hattons/DJM version. I thought it would take a few more years before any manufacturer thought the market was ready for a new 48xx

A 517 has got to be a winner.

I hope they can do them right without any gotchas. The number one area of scrutiny will be how it rides/balances on the tricky wheelbase.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5