• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

It is not unknown for us to be working in the extended headshunt where locos run round. I've always got well clear which others think is a bit over the top. I've shared these clips now!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2024 at 07:38, Hal Nail said:

It is not unknown for us to be working in the extended headhunt where locos run round. I've always got well clear which others think is a bit over the top. I've shared these clips now!

Glad to hear it

A healthy sense of self presevation never goes amiss when working around a railway. 

Never trusting your colleagues, no matter how well you know them,  not to make a mistake is always  good practice.  

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

I would have thought that after the tragedy on the NYMR a few years ago, nobody would now ever risk being in the 4-foot when a moving train on the same line is nearby.

Mark

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Never trusting your colleagues, no matter how well you know them,  not to make a mistake is always  good practice

In my experience the more I get to know them, the more true that is!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarkC said:

I would have thought that after the tragedy on the NYMR a few years ago, nobody would now ever risk being in the 4-foot when a moving train on the same line is nearby.

Mark

That unfortunate fatality was a very good example of what amounted to lack of movement awareness training on the part of the NYMR.  Very different from the sort of approach I have adopted when writing the 'personal safety' part of Rule Books for that sort of railway and very different from the way that area of safety was trained in, and monitored, once the procedures were in place.  But alas some lackadaisical personal safety influences permeated the preservation sector from - I'm sorry to say it - earlier BR days when allegedly 'everyone knew what they were doing' ; although the accident and fatality rates clearly proved that they didn't.

I think, from what I know of them at first hand, that the safety procedures of the power generation sector when applied to staff when carrying out work on railway track are a very stark illustration of a different, and much more effective way of ensuring personal safety.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite coming from a marine environment, if it's big and could move (independently or other means) be very wary. Also may get hot and uses water, also be very wary. Such items can prove fatal.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2024 at 13:27, The Stationmaster said:

I reckon someone in the yard 'forgot' to tell him how and why there was a gap between the end of the sidings and the stop blocks

The neck at gresty bridge has a couple of wagon gap between the end of the line and buffer stop currently, the neck is good for (iirc) 15 falcons but a shunter a few months back didn’t walk the move and call a train back, choosing to stand at the signal at the top of the sidings to stop the train once it was in clear of the signal, the slight problem being he’d miscounted the wagons and there were 17 not 15! 

I had a safety brief yesterday and one of the point raised was buffer stop collisions and we saw some CCTV from 2018 in theale, where once again the shunter didn’t proceed the move and the train went through the buffers, quite scary to see just how far it managed to go without any tracks, the first wagon hit the buffer stop lifting the whole panel out of the ground by about 4 ft before it came crashing down and then riding over the top, it then managed to push a whole other wagon up and over the demolished stop block before the moment came to a stand! 

another, less serious but embarrassing incident I know of is when a driver uncoupled a pair of DRS class 20s but forgot to take the jumper cable out, the locos got about 30ft apart before it snapped! 

of course I’ve been snowy white in my career have never had anything embarrassing happen! 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 3

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

The runaway Peds of Staples Corner deserve a mention. 

A406 Staples Corner 1988, London NW2, (1)

An extremely busy road junction that I used to use on my way to work - it must have caused chaos. 

Traffic was also disrupted there a few years later by an IRA bomb that demolished the adjacent B&Q (on the site of Staples mattress factory after which the junction is named) the same night that my office got destroyed by the Baltic Exchange bomb.

• Like 2