Revolution confirms Alcan PCA tanks in N

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Following a successful Expressions of Interest campaign, Revolution Trains has confirmed it will offer the Alcan PCA alumina powder tanks in N.

374131991.AlanMitchell..jpg.099970909a95ca84fff99798da72b3a3.jpg

(Photo courtesy Alan Mitchell.)

These distinctive wagons are used to transport alumina from Blyth bulk terminal in north east England to the UK's last remaining aluminium smelter at Fort William in the Scottish Highlands, and while the flow is relatively restricted the train does operate through the beautiful highland scenery. 

66740RannochAndyHoarecrop.jpg.c2f48d8e354804d5801271ab259dfd3c.jpg

(Photo courtesy Andy Hoare.)

They have operated primarily with Classes 37 and 66, though have also seen haulage by Classes 26, 56 and even, memorably, a Class 55 Deltic.  This makes them, arguably, an ideal 'Rule 1' model and they have proved surprisigly popular in 00.

PCAN-005-tint.jpg.b32348a7274fefec591f6e0e1decb685.jpg

Development should be relatively fast as the research was carried out for the 4mm version, and the response to our expressions of interest was very encouraging.  Should those expressions translate to orders relatively quickly we expect the model to go into tooling in the next few weeks.

Lochaber19-7-2022.jpg.6718d1bdb20481799c05a5b12a86dcd8.jpg

CAD is complete and we expect to offer the models in the same format as in 00 - in a selection of four-packs all with different numbers, and representing the wagons throughout their service lives.  However we may not be able to offer the full variety of liveries that are available in 00.

GFXNoffer.jpg.baed61b230f84b410f84156fc0990894.jpg

The order book is expected to open early next month, so please look out for the discounted pre-order price, and for more information see the news page of the Revolution Trains website.

We'd like to thank everyone who took the time to show their interest and make this happen.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Great news. Not one for me but I hope it leads to some other wagons that are/were geographically or numerically limited. 

Steven B

• Like 1

Great news that a lot of interest has been shown in this,if the detailing is anything like the Texaco class b tanks I will be one happy pappy.i was down for three packs but will go for the full four in alcan branding or faded branding,if it gets produced.i remember working on the A85 between lochearnhead,glenogle and crianlarich resurfacing the road I would see artic lorrys with two to three large aluminium ignots on the back on a Daly base's.why was this not transported by rail.🤔 Anyway glad to see these getting made and although most of the stock I have is weathered I will go for the early bird on this on one. cheers guys.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a oo modeller, based on the oo version you are very much in for a treat! Can't wait to see a full rake on the exhibition circuit.

• Like 1

Really good news that the interest is there in N  for such a route restricted prototype.

Is it too early Ben to ask if you can consider the particular varient of GBRF  in tranche 2 of 66 releases, that operate with these over the West Highland whenever that might be. Not asking for or expecting a commitment before the first batch arrive, that's not reasonable. Just getting in early with the idea for consideration.

Rob

• Like 1