Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

60027Merlin

• RMweb Premium

Ah Gilbert, unfortunately Peterborough was a distant land for the Scotts and Glens, even for our Pacifics, apart from the A4s on the Non-Stop of course.

It was a pity that I could not find a suitable model figure of you in the pictures when copping 60159 - those missed opportunities!

Eric

Actually Eric, that was the first time I ever saw Bonnie Dundee running. The only time I saw the real loco it was in pieces in the Crimpsall. Fortunately, there were enough pieces for it to be a legitimate cop. If I were to acquire a Scott, and only run it when no-one else was around, and never pointed the camera at it, who'd be the wiser? ;)

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

It is only yesterday that you were trying to persuade us that your locoholism had been cured......  :boast:   I think you should claim your money back from whoever claimed to have cured you  :banghead:

HNY

Andy

"Gradually responding" is what I said. There are often stumbles on the rocky road to recovery. :biggrin_mini2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In New Year of last year in another state of locoholism I purchased a couple of Bachmann A2s from the local shop and a year later thought that it was about time that they should be done up for service on the layout. As north east pacifics were daily visitors to the city I decided that one from Gateshead and one from Heaton would be just right. Heaton's Bronzino is still in bits (although not for long) whereas Gateshead's Velocity is now alive and kicking and running in fine. Here she is on a northbound freight then on a return passenger turn home from the Waverley.

The grime was just too much during the photo session so a clean Haymarket loco was drafted in to finish off bringing normality back to the scene! 

Northbound:

post-2677-0-43162500-1358278678_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-79118200-1358278707_thumb.jpg

Southbound:

post-2677-0-52077900-1358278729_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-07682800-1358278753_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-67765200-1358278787_thumb.jpg

Number 2 link member:

post-2677-0-62944300-1358278807_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful shots of my favourite loco there Eric, I have a version of her running on Wakefield West, though not sure if a Gateshead engine would've made it south of Leeds, but I still can't think of a better name for an express passenger engine though!

The photos you took on Boxing Day were brilliant also.

Cheers

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following on from Velocity going into service last month the other two of the north east trio have just been finished and made their layout debut a few days ago. Here are some shots of them getting ready for the road.

Whilst sorting out these photos yesterday I ran out of time and decided to finish it today and on looking at today’s date I was reminded yet again of Buddy Holly, today being the 54th. year since he died in the plane crash. If the photos of Kenilworth and Bronzino had been of the real thing that day then no doubt the young firemen and their colleagues would have been feeling a bit low, as most of us did on hearing the news.

And now onwards to the next jobs on the list, more new entrants from Haymarket!

post-2677-0-95811000-1359923026_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-40417200-1359923061_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-42121600-1359923085_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-17722300-1359923108_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-60934400-1359923261_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-94105700-1359923317_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-36863500-1359923372_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-33317100-1359923396_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-55915500-1359923423_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-60101300-1359923448_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
Guest Tom F

To echo what both David's have said, wonderful emotive set of photos. I love the rich finish on the BR Green. How do you achieve this on your RTR locomotives?

• RMweb Premium

To echo what both David's have said, wonderful emotive set of photos. I love the rich finish on the BR Green. How do you achieve this on your RTR locomotives?

That’s some question Tom as the pacifics in the photos span about 30 years with one of the A2/1s from the late 70s to a Bachmann A2 from a year or so ago! In between are all the others and over that period of time I have changed things around depending on what was available as sometimes the paint went out of production on occasions or the shades changed over the years. I initially used the BR green from Humbrol then moved to Precision and later on  both were used in any given year depending on how I was feeling, nothing scientific there. All brushed on rather than aerosol spray.

About 6 years ago I started to use Johnsons Klear on some ready to run locos after dry brushing Precision on first. After that I sometimes dry brush a darker mix of matt black and leather on lightly then polish it off with cotton buds or paper napkins, (Dobbies Garden Centres do a nice line in these napkins with no strands coming off them!) which both removes and shifts the dark mix to edges of the boiler bands etc. Old hankies are used after that to polish up the boiler, firebox and tender sides.

For the Haymarket  pacifics, I use little, if any weathering on the green areas, more just the polishing to replicate their look back in these days as they were normally well turned out.

Hopefully this helps but bear in mind that a lot of it is made up as I go along and if it isn’t turning out as I think I then change the paint/materials etc. and keep going until all seems well. Faith is a great thing!   

• Like 1

Hi Eric

Sorry to add another question your way but I notice in your photos you add addition cable and pipe runs down the side of your A1's.

A2's and A3's, these are not provided on the RTR models produced by both Hornby and Bachmann.

May I ask what wiring your use to replicate these and how are they fixed, also do you paint them on the loco or before you fix them to the loco body.

Looking forward to more photos.

Best regards

David

• RMweb Premium

David

I use fuse wire for the pipe runs on the smokebox. I drill the smokebox area with a hand vice drill for better control rather then using a 12V drill and then super glue small lengths of the wire in each hole. Once the glue has set it is just a matter of bending to shape with tweezers and cocktail sticks then snipping off the excess then painting them. For the AWS conduit pipe I use 24swg copper wire painted first and I glue under the running plate some short strips of boiler band wire and once these are firmly in place the copper wire is shaped and then put in position. I then bend these strips over the copper wire and snip off the excess finishing off by painting these strips as well.

Hopefully this will be of assistance to you. I suppose that it's not important to add all this on but I prefer to do it, however, it is all down to the individual depending if you think that it's worth lt!

Eric

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Following on from the posting on page 5 of the Haymarket Number 1 Link here is the Haymarket Number 2 link lined up with their famed A1s.

post-2677-0-08352400-1367698184_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-15530100-1367698206_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-50460600-1367698222_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-55942700-1367698260_thumb.jpg

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 9

Great photos Eric

You must have just about every locomotive that was shedded at Haymarket.

Have you given 60096 a coat of Johnsons Klear to get that wonderful ex works finish that was so typical of Haymarket in the 1950's

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Yes David, Papyrus was given the Klear treatment and not toned down to keep it up with the A1s which were well known in the city for their smart turn-out thanks to the cleaning regime at Haymarket.

Attached is a new photo taken last week from a running session with Papyrus on a number 2 link turn on one of the daily Aberdeen - Kings Cross express fish trains.

post-2677-0-94520900-1367788248_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hello Eric,

I just want to say thank you for sharing your wonderful layout and models with us here on RMweb. I have been following this thread for a while and it has offered me countless hours of inspiration and tuition in making cab sheets for my A4s and making piping runs on my other pacifics.

I love all of the Haymarket pacifics and I am attempting to model as many as possible for my future Hawick 1959 layout I am planning. I love the Canal A3s too, and have an example of each. Part of the reason I model June/July 1959 is the wonderful variety offered in the A3 class: single chimneys, kylchap chimneys, deflectors on Humorist, three different boiler types, three different tender types, ATC/AWS (But none on the Canal engines!). Seeing your pictures of your pacifics inspired me to go for variety and I haven't looked back since!

I love the ex NBR designs too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear of a layout planned for the Waverley Route! You have picked a good year to model as there was quite a variety of steam loco classes still working on it daily in 1959. No doubt you are following The Waverley Route topic on RMWeb which is a minefield of great information for the modeller.

You reminded me that the ex-NBR stuff hasn't appeared for a while, so to balance things out a bit, here is a photo of the J88 stretching its legs during a running session last winter. It takes a while for it to complete the run from the fiddle yard to the branch station!

Eric

post-2677-0-32561700-1368213194_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Good to hear of a layout planned for the Waverley Route! You have picked a good year to model as there was quite a variety of steam loco classes still working on it daily in 1959. No doubt you are following The Waverley Route topic on RMWeb which is a minefield of great information for the modeller.You reminded me that the ex-NBR stuff hasn't appeared for a while, so to balance things out a bit, here is a photo of the J88 stretching its legs during a running session last winter. It takes a while for it to complete the run from the fiddle yard to the branch station!Ericattachicon.gifJ88 68342 on a rare outing on the main line heading for the Shed.JPG

Very nice photo Eric.

I meant to ask you some time ago that I see you have a J83 on your layout is it a kit built loco and if so who makes it or did you scratch build it?

I have PDK Models making me A2/1 60509 Waverley which was a Haymarket loco and should be complete in about four weeks time, I was asking them about getting a J83 built and they informed me that to the best of their knowledge no one make a 4mm scale kit.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

it is nice to see the ex north british classes out and about, i have just finished a scratchbuilt j37 band am now starting on a second j83 using a Bachmann j72 and Hornby terrier chassis, i am thinking of oing the haymarket pilot with the earlier type boiler mountings - just to be differant.

• Like 1

it is nice to see the ex north british classes out and about, i have just finished a scratchbuilt j37 band am now starting on a second j83 using a Bachmann j72 and Hornby terrier chassis, i am thinking of oing the haymarket pilot with the earlier type boiler mountings - just to be differant.

I love the J37s. I also love the J35s and 36s. There is something about the NBR 0-6-0 freight locos that really appeals to me. I only wish that a 37 and/or a 35 was preserved. My only experience of those classes are the pictures in books and the footage on DVD. Happily, I have been pulled by Maude on a few occasions at Bo'ness.