Longdrem & The Pinkhill Branch

60027Merlin

• RMweb Premium

Three shots of recent weathering jobs for a couple of friends.

K1s were rare visitors to Auld Reekie so I resisted temptation to purchase one however this could be viewed as one of these rare visits. It certainly proved a good runner when completed as it glided round the layout for a couple of hours before being collected by its owner. The other shot is an apparition, it just never appeared here!

post-2677-0-91775500-1425586173_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-16447600-1425586181_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-53442400-1425586189_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful work Eric, certainly gives me some inspiration to get on and weather my apparition. What techniques did you use for the weathering, airbrush and powders? The K1 is very tempting, but like you, I'm holding off because of the unlikeliness of on appearing in Wakefield. It's hard to be strong with such good models out there.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

All that was done/used was dry brushing and a few weathering powder shades used sparingly. I don't have an airbrush as the price of a decent one plus compressor could not be justified due to what would be fairly minimal usage in comparison to the price.

If Hornby had introduced a B16 rather than a K1 then that would have been a purchase as they were often up here on freights from the north east.

Cheers

Eric

• Like 1

Hi Eric

Very nice weathering on the K1, you surprise me when you say they were rare visits as some were shedded at 65J Fort William, and also many were shedded in the Newcastle area I just assumed some of them must have got up to Edinburgh at one time or another.

I am only saying that as I could not resist buying one and I am looking for an excuse to have one or two on the Haymarket 64B layout, they look and run superb.

I got 62024 which was seeded at 52C Braydon.

Please keep your fantastic photos coming.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

David,

The K1s at Fort William made only rare appearances through here if sent out on a turn from Eastfield. The north east K1s were shedded at Blaydon whose freight turns went south and west. Gateshead and Heaton looked after the northern road for freights.  When speaking about this with some local lads some years ago none of them and I had many underlined in the ABC books.

K2 and K3 classes were the more common K types here plus the K4s when they were transferred to Thornton.

Cheers

Eric

Hi Eric

Thank you for the explanation, I will have to use it as a special working then, I believe they call it artistic licence.

Hoping to finish my Bachmann Coaling Tower conversion this weekend so that it looks something similar to the Haymarket one.

It's funny I never ever went to Haymarket MPD how I wish I had, but with all the research I have been doing and with a lot of help and information from yourself, other RMWeb members plus very useful information from Harry Knox I feel like I know the MPD very well.

Regards

David

David 

• RMweb Gold

Tony,

All that was done/used was dry brushing and a few weathering powder shades used sparingly. I don't have an airbrush as the price of a decent one plus compressor could not be justified due to what would be fairly minimal usage in comparison to the price.

If Hornby had introduced a B16 rather than a K1 then that would have been a purchase as they were often up here on freights from the north east.

Cheers

Eric

That's some masterful weathering using those techniques, you've got a great mix of colour and texture there. I've been using airbrushes for nearly 30 years, but only last year have I really had the cash to buy a top notch one and am finally getting some really good results, but they still need the powders to finish them off and to give them more "oomph". As for the B16s, they were magnificent locomotives, I could understand you having one or two if they come out RTR.

Cheers

Tony

• 1 month later...

Some photos from the files of station scenes on the main line and the branch. Starting and finishing with a couple of Haymarket A3s.

attachicon.gif1. A3 60041 Salmon Trout drifting in to Longdrem.JPG

attachicon.gif2. Pinkhill Goods Shed in early morning sun.JPG

attachicon.gif3. V2 60873 Coldstreamer of St. Margarets on a regular passenger turn.JPG

attachicon.gif4. D11.2 62677 Edie Ochiltree now based at Thornton and not many years left.jpg

attachicon.gif5. J37 64624 at work.JPG

attachicon.gif6. N15 69173 simmering.jpg

attachicon.gif7. A3 60071 Tranquil awaiting the right of way.JPG

attachicon.gif8. D30 62428 The Talisman eases in on a local.JPG

attachicon.gif9. Station scene.JPG

attachicon.gif10. Auld Reekie gets in the picture as a fast freight moves along the up main.JPG

attachicon.gif11. B1 61007 Klipspringer waits for the signal.JPG

attachicon.gif12. Magazine purchasing.JPGattachicon.gif13. Another mineral awaits emptying.jpg

attachicon.gif14. D49.1 62719 Peebles-shire at the branch platform.JPG

attachicon.gif15. J36 65224 at Pinkhill between duties.JPG

attachicon.gif16. A4 60024 Kingfisher moves off for the Waverley.JPG

attachicon.gif17. Conversation with Holyrood.jpg

attachicon.gif18. J88 68320 heads for the yard entrance.JPG

attachicon.gif19. K2 61758 & D34 62471 Glen Falloch going their separate ways.JPG

attachicon.gif20. A2 60529 Pearl Diver waitng whilst a D34 waits to enter the Shed.JPG

attachicon.gif21. B1 61219 acts as a backscene.JPG

attachicon.gif22. D30 62418 The Pirate ready with empty stock.jpg

attachicon.gif23. D30 62418 The Pirate from another angle.JPG

attachicon.gif24. A3 60100 Spearmint on an ex-Aberdeen fish for the south.JPG

Hi Eric

Nice to see you on your thread again, as usual stunning photos, I especially like the last going away photo of A3 60100 Spearmint, great stuff.

Regards

David

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great to see these NB loco's. Mostly kit built or are their some bashing/scratch building in there?

The old J37 kit seems almost impossible to find these days.

Jim,

All are kits from the 70s courtesy of GEM, Sutherland/Cotswold, DJH and of course Norrie Blackburn. A golden decade for the Scottish Modeller!

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic layout just oozing atmosphere. And I love the train spotter type photos, indeed it just feels like trains spotting of old. Love the D30 The Pirate, I wonder if we will ever see anything like that in RTR. Scotland seems a forgotten backwater from the manufacturers

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Great to have some new pics, Eric, and also themed.  It's a shame that the RTR manufacturers don't pay more heed to some of the humble Scottish types. Neither the NBR nor the Caley gets much of a look in, and  I for one would happily buy an RTR Caley Jumbo (or three) as these worked a lot of pick up goods (and also some passenger workings) in Ayrshire in my youth.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

No models today.

It's the real thing with one of Haymarket's finest on duty this morning at the Waverley Station for the official opening of the Borders Railway later in the day at Tweedbank.

post-2677-0-61420700-1441806429_thumb.jpg

Just after arrival

post-2677-0-73378400-1441806441_thumb.jpg

John Cameron in conversation

post-2677-0-63834000-1441806452_thumb.jpg

The First Minister after alighting from number 9

post-2677-0-03158700-1441806481_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-64340600-1441806517_thumb.jpg

Great Waverley Route campaigner, Madge Elliott, made light work of climbing in to the cab

post-2677-0-93606000-1441806542_thumb.jpg

Her Majesty entering the Pullman Car, Pegasus

post-2677-0-38321600-1441806573_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-52328100-1441806583_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-09819400-1441806600_thumb.jpg

Number 9 opens out moving off for the Borders

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much modelling being done recently due to gardening and household work. However, during a tidy up in some free time a few weeks ago, I came across a box containing a few models built in the late 60s and decided to see if they still worked. Fortunately they did and are now kept in a more up to date box to avoid being ignored.

The A3 was originally finished out as Sir Visto but as that is already in the roster I renamed it as one of the regular visitors to Haymarket from Gateshead. It is a Wills kit with Jamieson frames plus a Jamieson tender which was the only GNR tender type available then. Along with the A3 were the Jubilee, Royal Scot and an A1. The two LMS locos are Jamieson kits with a Wills tender for the Jub. and a Wrenn tender for the Royal Scot as it already had rivet detail. From memory the lining is either Kingsprint or Kemco.

Where has the time gone?

post-2677-0-78446500-1443381143_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-99454800-1443381148_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-51832300-1443381167_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-16186700-1443381170_thumb.jpg

post-2677-0-15448000-1443381179_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Good morning Eric

As usual very nice locomotives and photos of the same quality.

I am in a similar situation, I have one bedroom to re-decorate then I can get to work changing our fourth bedroom/office I to an area to start my baseboards.

That's so the reason why I have been pushing on getting as many of the main Haymarket buildings completed so I can position them out to get the track layout in the correct position.

Please keep the photo coming when you can, I find them very inspirational.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

David,

I am looking forward to the stage after the baseboards are in place as your buildings really capture the look of 64B.

It is a garden work free morning as the grass is quite wet with morning dew and hopefully it will be dry enough this afternoon for a cut. So with this free time I started looking out some photos for a week or two's time and here is one as a trailer. With the Borders Railway opening recently here are a couple of Waverley Route regulars, The Talisman and Sir Visto which was in the layout roster long before the belated appearance of the Wills A3 kit (now Cameronian) mentioned above.

Eric

post-2677-0-20149900-1443433377_thumb.jpg

• Like 6