DCC IP Digital Pointmotors and Peco points.

Hello

Hoping I might get some feedback

I am looking to get advice on what I am doing wrong. I have two SLE89 facing each other. This is to allow me to move trains between two lines. I have fitted two IP digital point motors, one on each point but with the same number, in this case 2. Both points work and through the point over. 

However, I am not able to set them to point in the same direction. If press the point, one point will point straight so trains carry on, whilst the other point is pointing to turn left to go over to the other line. Obviously this would mean it would derail. 

The control system I am using is the Roco Z21. I have two sets of points in this configuration. One is set SLE88 and the other is SLE89.

I have attached a video so that you can see what I am referring to.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks

Tim

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-19 at 18.36.25_d25a3310.jpg

Posted (edited)

@GrumpyPenguin I had thought doing that. It is my plan of attack if people say there isn't a technical solution. I got frustrated in the heat this afternoon so I am not messing with it this evening. I will likely break something. 

Thanks for the response.

Edited by ShedLayouts

In the z21 app you need to swap over the 0 and 1 for one of the turnouts.

Or you can use the IP Digital Command  (198 or 199 I think) to change the motor to switch the opposite way.

• Agree 1

Remember that if you are using a z/Z21 then it might be turnout 201 that you need to change and not 197 (also you are not really changing CVs, you are simply issuing a command to turnout address 197 with the motor in the Set position)

the reason is might need to be 201 is driven by the setting of RCN 213 in the z/Z21. If you are using the app with a different command station then the RCN 213 statement doesn’t apply.

45 minutes ago, ShedLayouts said:

However, I am not able to set them to point in the same direction. If press the point, one point will point straight so trains carry on, whilst the other point is pointing to turn left to go over to the other line. Obviously this would mean it would derail

I read of a prototype for that on the Ballater branch, as a result of a mistake by fitters when modifying the lever frame! 

Hope you've got it sorted now.

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 19:58, GrumpyPenguin said:

My (probably flawed) logic would suggest that you turn ONE of the point motors through 180deg.

There is a much easier way that does not need any CV alterations or taking the motors off. On one motor simply swap the +ve and -ve feed wires over.

If you want to use DCCConcepts method then one motor has to be set to CV197 first.

Edited by CFL
Forgot the last bit.
  • Like 1

On 22/05/2024 at 07:41, CFL said:

There is a much easier way that does not need any CV alterations or taking the motors off. On one motor simply swap the +ve and -ve feed wires over.

If you want to use DCCConcepts method then one motor has to be set to CV197 first.

Reversing the DCC IN terminals will alter the polarity (phase) of the frog terminal.

It will not reverse the direction in which the motor responds to a left or right command.

Using a temporary address of 197 (it is not a CV) will reverse the way in which the motor responds to a left or right command.

The motor will retain its original address when using the special addresses 197-199

(For completeness, the original 8-terminal Digital motors made before 2014 do not have the special addresses 197-199.)

Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 12:06, ShedLayouts said:

Thanks @WIMorrison I will try that one even this week.

Hi,

It's a pretty common occurrence that point motor switching is out of sync with the Z21 app, as @WIMorrison said just change the 1 & 0 for the turnout that doesn't work.

Regards,

John P

Edited by jpendle
Typo
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

It's a pretty common occurrence that point motor switching is out of sync with the Z21 app, as @WIMorrison said just change the 1 & 0 for the turnout that doesn't work.

Regards,

John P

But that will swap over both motors if they have the same address - i.e. the problem will still exist.

Only one requires to be "direction changed", so use  the temporary special address 197 on one motor only.

(or 201 as mentioned above)

Regards.

The DCCconcepts Team

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, DCCconcepts said:

Reversing the DCC IN terminals will alter the polarity (phase) of the frog terminal.

It will not reverse the direction in which the motor responds to a left or right command.

Oops, it looks like I misunderstood the instructions yet again.