RMweb

Plonk it and See - The Shunting Plank has arrived...

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Having moved into my new flat and made sure the important things are in place (i.e. the kettle, microwave, RMWeb on the computer plus a copious stock of Aunt Bessies cook from frozen pancakes in the freezer :lol: ) the next thing to do was start up a simple shunting plank.

There are plans afoot for a proper big layout in the spare bedroom in the future but I wanted something to play with in the meantime and thus shunting plank one - Plonk It & Sea has been born on two bits of MDF offcut from Homebase's bargain bin.

I had no real plan, just went for the take bits out of the boxes, plonk on plank and see how it looks approach :rolleyes: and for the first time in my modelling career it plonked pretty good!!

post-6910-12569126422662_thumb.jpg

post-6910-12569127644986_thumb.jpg

post-6910-12569128431299_thumb.jpg

The signal box has been lifted straight from the layout at my old place along with quite a few of the other bits thus there is a lot of recycling of stock and buildings going on. The signal box is the Bachmann Scencraft one suitably redecorated to make it look more Southern:

post-6910-12569130409675_thumb.jpg

post-6910-12569133205269_thumb.jpg

At the moment the plan is that this is a terminus of a small single track branch very much in a Swanage or Hayling Island stylee and such in theory only small tank locos will appear with two coach trains and small freight formations although already the T9 from the other railway has managed to appear once and I did wonder what Kestrel would look like in the bat platform!!!

• 4 years later...

Nice start there John for a little project, how about giving it an "Only Fools & Horses" theme with names, you could start with 

Plonker-On-Sea !!!

PS loving the Bakerlite Telephone there, is it in working order ?  very Trumpton if it is !!!

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig.

Nice start there John for a little project, how about giving it an "Only Fools & Horses" theme with names, you could start with 

Plonker-On-Sea !!!

PS loving the Bakerlite Telephone there, is it in working order ?  very Trumpton if it is !!!

Best regards & happy modelling

Craig.

Trumpton or Chigley? I'm sure we could have Old Bessie on loan!!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not that old - it's a tele746 or 8746 from the late 70s early 80s, so it's injection-moulded plastic, not Bakelite.

Archived