Happy Birthday Bournemouth

Many Thanks for your kind replies and comments Bros. good_mini.gif ,

But, It's all down to 'Western Sunset' (Ex - 'Dr. K'...from the old RMweb) lol_mini.gif , and his excellent photos. He, who also goes by the name of Peter.

I must add that, Many Thanks must also go to him for bringing up this anniversary, and reminding us of it. good_mini.gif

Cheers All, (Ceptic) Frank.

Hello Peter.

Re :- The Canopy. It's nowhere near a copy of the original. The only thing it has in common, is the scrolled brackets and the glazed roof panel. The original's roof was higher and had 3 rows of such panels, supported by a wall with 3 tall windows, which stood, approximately, where the traffic island is/was in the 1980's photos. (I've got a sketch of it somewhere. When I find it, I'll post it in.)]

Kind regards, Frank.

Here's the (buffed up) sketch of the portico*. I've also found a couple of pencil drawn elevations, which I was attempting to join together and tidy up, that was, until the scanner went down sad.gif

post-7009-128083861053.jpg

* See next Post and Posts 38 & 40

Cheers.

Whoops, almost forgot.

When I was a nipper, the filled in arch (arrowed) was an access to the down platform, usually locked out of use by a wrought iron gate at the inner end. The walls of which still bore the outline of the bricked up ticket issuing windows.

This edited photo shows this, along with the position of the portico and the ex-Refreshment Room at the far end.

post-7009-128086833936_thumb.jpg

Right !!, the scanner's burst into life, so, the tour of the station, in the '80s, can continue, with shots of the inside.

Two, showing the sealed off subway ramp and old ticket office / entrance on the down side.

post-7009-128092737899_thumb.jpg

post-7009-128092754195_thumb.jpg

The ex-subway entrance. This was re-opened following the station's refurb.

post-7009-128092798095_thumb.jpg

The Ticket Office. (down side)

post-7009-128092822028_thumb.jpg

The up platform. Now numbered 2. The electrification scheme involved the re-numbering of the platforms. Prior to this, Platform 1 was the down platform. Platform 2 was the 1928 down platform extension, and this platform was No.3.

post-7009-128092956424_thumb.jpg

The Refreshment Room (up side). Now called the 'Lemon Tree', I believe.

post-7009-128092848718_thumb.jpg

The Ticket Office (up side)

post-7009-128092975066_thumb.jpg

The ex-subway entrance (up side). Still in use for the transfer of goods via this ramp and the lifts, but closed to the public.

post-7009-128093006926_thumb.jpg

post-7009-128093434724_thumb.jpg

The (makeshift) PVC windbreak. As you can see, money was no object smile.gif

post-7009-128093040414_thumb.jpg

The bay Platform No.1. Not numbered or used for passenger traffic in the days of steam.

post-7009-128093089073_thumb.jpgpost-7009-128093095474_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

The bay Platform No.1. Not numbered or used for passenger traffic in the days of steam.

Is that really the case. I've got a vague foggy memory of using it - nothing I could be categorical about though.

The station always looked far too big for the traffic that went through it, often with the trains being shortened before going on to Weymouth. I have another vague recollection of getting on the train only to be left standing. On other occasions it was common that, when the longer trains would be let through, only the front carriages would fit in Dorchester station resulting in an unplanned return trip to Weymouth. Ah, fading memories.

Great pictures ceptic ,reminds me of what it was like when I worked there late 80s with the grimmy old brickwork and paintwork and old roof, also great to see the post office trucks and brutes on the platforms always busy unloading post bags and red star parcels..pic show old metal Bournemouth sign ( of footbridge) which was reclaimed out of a skip when they renewed all the signs with new Network Southeast ones. cheers YVM.

post-6833-128094305598_thumb.jpg

Is that really the case. I've got a vague foggy memory of using it - nothing I could be categorical about though.

The station always looked far too big for the traffic that went through it, often with the trains being shortened before going on to Weymouth. I have another vague recollection of getting on the train only to be left standing. On other occasions it was common that, when the longer trains would be let through, only the front carriages would fit in Dorchester station resulting in an unplanned return trip to Weymouth. Ah, fading memories.

Hi Kenton & All.

Talk about fading memories!!. Ask me what I watched on t'telly last night ? unsure.gif .

Refering back to the up bay platform, in all the times I poked my head around the corner at the 'Central', from the age of 6 / 7, to the start of the electrics (when I was in my mid twenties), I have never (once) seen a time-tabled passenger service originate from this platform.

But, as they say, never say never.

As a youngster, my mate and I, used to finish infant school, buy a bottle of 1d. Pop on the way, and pay the station the usual visit. What 9 times out of 10 greeted us, was the bay road being bunged up with parcel / luggage vans. When it was clear, the loco off the Weymouth portion would (sometimes) lay over there.

On gaining the subway railings view point, we would be confronted by the down side through road being used to stable coaching stock, This meant that we had to race under the tracks, to see what was arriving on the other side.

Ahh, Happy memories, indeed......I could go on... and on....

Regards & Cheers.

Hi.

An update. I've added / edited into, some extra pics of the signal box, to my 29th.July post on page one.

Apologies for mucking you about. But, there's more to follow....Once I get goin'...blink.gif

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

A look across the Holdenhurst Road at the Central Goods Depot, which was built upon, and developed from, the site of Bournemouth's first station (1870).

Please accept my apologies for the poor quality of some/most of these photos. These were taken in May and September 1982, the poorer ones in failing, fading light, as now, the prints are also fading.

post-7009-128208928478_thumb.jpg

The office buildings, facing the Holdenhurst Rd., and the Central station.

post-7009-128207190662_thumb.jpg

Looking along the North side of the shed.

Judging, by looking at aerial photographs, and maps of the time, this shed building was (almost) comparable, in area covered, to that of the Central station's train-shed.

post-7009-12820809684_thumb.jpg

A view back, towards the jumble pf huts and bike sheds on the one-time ramp & dock atop the tunnel.

post-7009-128208126607_thumb.jpg

Onwards, and upwards. The future beckons.

post-7009-128208160444_thumb.jpg

post-7009-128208220452_thumb.jpg

Still in one piece, just.

post-7009-128208272519_thumb.jpg

Oh no, it's not.

post-7009-128208294703_thumb.jpg

Later shots of the Eastern end. The Green sliding doors closed across the only two tracks entering the shed.

post-7009-128208394142_thumb.jpg

A dim view of the inside.

post-7009-128208439089_thumb.jpg

Looking along the South side, towards the Holdenhurst Road.

post-7009-128208571901_thumb.jpg

And, from there, back towards the yard.

post-7009-128208507567_thumb.jpg

A view across the West yard, towards the East, and the Signal box. One of the last buildings left standing, was the Weigh-bridge office. The rear of which, is shown also.

post-7009-128208601101_thumb.jpg

post-7009-128208609306_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12820861772_thumb.jpg

Bournemouth Central Goods Depot Signal box, reduced to a ground frame Dec.1966.

post-7009-128208662632_thumb.jpg

post-7009-128208668997_thumb.jpg

Back to the Weigh-bridge, and the notice on the wall. Can anyone read it ? I did write it down at the time, but the note is another item that I've mis-laid.

post-7009-128229966777_thumb.jpgRevised 20/8 to add extra information.

A layout plan of the goods shed and yards. Drawn using aerial photographs and maps.

It's not specific to any date, but how it would have looked during the days of steam. There had been a few alterations over the years. One, I remember, was the addition of the end ramps, used to off-load the circus trains, in the'50s. The tame animals (costumed horses, camels, elephants, humans, etc.) would be let out of their vehicles/trailers, grouped together, and set off in a parade through the town, to Kings Park.

Now, was it Bertram Mills ? or Billy Smarts ?....

Memories.....memories.....

Regards.

Hello Peter.

Re :- The Canopy. It's nowhere near a copy of the original. The only thing it has in common, is the scrolled brackets and the glazed roof panel. The original's roof was higher and had 3 rows of such panels, supported by a wall with 3 tall windows, which stood, approximately, where the traffic island is/was in the 1980's photos. (I've got a sketch of it somewhere. When I find it, I'll post it in.)

The footbridge was, indeed, opened in time for, or possibly just before the 1967 electrification. It can, just about, be seen here.

post-7009-12807499123_thumb.jpg

At the same time of the footbridge being opened, the down side subway ramp was closed and blocked off. (IIRC)

Kind regards, Frank.

[/qu

Brilliant pics Frank the change from unloved to taking pride in the station is very well documented,the cars parked outside in the 70,s make you realise how we had a British based car manf, industry. Regards LMSFOREVER CHRIS

• 2 months later...

Whoops, almost forgot.

When I was a nipper, the filled in arch (arrowed) was an access to the down platform, usually locked out of use by a wrought iron gate at the inner end. The walls of which still bore the outline of the bricked up ticket issuing windows.

This edited photo shows this, along with the position of the portico and the ex-Refreshment Room at the far end.

post-7009-128086833936_thumb.jpg

H All.

I've just found this photo.

http://www.flickr.co...rak/3999423922/

Taken from approximately the same position as this previous pic,

post-7009-003016100 1289854025_thumb.jpg

It shows a 1950 built B.C.T. Leyland Titan PD2/3 / Weymann parked up against the down side portico.

The modified appearance of the 'bus dates the photo as being post 1960, when some of these vehicles along with some of the 1950 B.U.T 9641T / Weymann trolleybuses had their front stair-cases removed, shown here by the addition of the extra lower deck window, behind the driver's bulkhead.

lt's showing route 25, to Westbourne, a route, normally covered by trolleybuses on the Holdenhurst Road.

Judging from this, the 'bus could be ferrying passengers back and forth, between the two stations, Central and West, now that the 'Pines Express', and other inter-regionals, were now using Poole and the Central station as their starting point, and going via Southampton, Basingstoke & Oxford.

The photo also gives some idea of the portico's size.

Regards.

• 5 months later...

Belatedly, a couple of links, to photos of the station's past.

With thanks to A. Ladell's Flickr collection.

http://www.flickr.co...17624309846847/

Circa. 1885, showing the down side and it's portico, as built.

Showing the eastern down bay. There was also a similar bay at the western end of the down platform. Just out of shot, directly on the left, is the 'A' signal box.

It appears that the present day station's bi-directional signalling is nothing new.

Belatedly, links to photos of the station's past.

With thanks to A. Ladell's Flickr collection.

Showing the eastern down bay. There was also a similar bay at the western end of the down platform. Just out of shot, directly on the left, is the 'A' signal box.

It appears that the present day station's bi-directional signalling is nothing new.

Frank, I think those signals referred to the up platform and up through road. They were located at the end of the down platform for sighting purposes beneath the overall roof.

Regards,

Peter

• 2 months later...

Jeez, I've spent hours on those platforms, and many time run under the subway to catch something coming in on the down line.

My best treat was a day spent in the sheds, my friend had a relative who worked there, so we had the time of our lives wandering around the shed in the days of the bullieds.That down platforn is so long especially when it was used as two platforms!

Bit different to wandering around the car park these days!!

Jeez, I've spent hours on those platforms, and many time run under the subway to catch something coming in on the down line.

My best treat was a day spent in the sheds, my friend had a relative who worked there, so we had the time of our lives wandering around the shed in the days of the bullieds.That down platforn is so long especially when it was used as two platforms!

Bit different to wandering around the car park these days!!

Hey, Poolelad...Thanks for the memories :good_mini:

Like most anyone else, in my / those early days, to own, or to have access to a camera, or, even an Ian Allan ABC, was out of the equation.

These days, most folks go out, equipped with an instant image recording device......

.....If only.......lf only.....

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Snip......

One question though, ??. I don't recall the signal box ever carrying an exterior, enamel SR / BR(S) identification board.

I've looked at many photos, but nothing's come to light. Perhaps some one can enlighten me ?

post-7009-128112095998_thumb.jpg Extra pic. No.5

Regards.

ln answer to my own question regarding the 'box's enamel name plate, l've just found this.

http://sixties_south...th_central.html

• 6 years later...

Some pics from the past.

attachicon.gifhpqscan0004.jpg

The 'bit of a do' to celebrate the station's Centenary, July1985.

Regards.

A mystery solved at last!

Had a vague memory of a caravan holiday near Ringwood and going to a railway event at a station sometimes in the mid 80s. Based on a memory of reading a specific edition of Modern Railway Pictorial (remember that magazine anyone?) whilst on the holiday I worked out is was 1985. Frustrated me as I could not remember which station or what we had actually attended. I think as the earlier post says it was just outside the station but we could see into it. Seem to remember seeing 33s that day, would that be correct? 33s being exotic for someone like me more used to their wee sisters the 26s and 27s.

Think I bought a Model of Yesteryear but don't remember much else other than it was an enjoyable day out.

Would love to see any other photos of the event if an tut one has some.

Archived