Time machine..... so where,,, and when?

• RMweb Gold

Then a trip on the ACE to Padstow over the NCR. Then a wander back to Wadebridge, the shed, the chip shop near the level crossing and the lines to the Bodmin stations.

Why did I not mention that? how cool would that be?

Thanks for playing my daft game guys.

Very good so far with 51 people having a dream.

Plenty of room in the TARDIS for more though.....!

What has been a huge surprise though is the vast majority are going way back in time. Looking at the range of layouts on RMweb and having enjoyed the recent age and era of interest polls - I had not expected so many steam (and birth of steam age) jaunts. I think I only spotted 1 or 2 posts going back to BR blue days or early Green D&E.

Good fun though. I have spent years getting my boys to play games like this when they "can't get to sleep". The "what 10 cars would you pick for your fantasy garage" works every time - don't think they have ever got to 10 yet.

Stuart

I'd pack a couple of sporting fixtures results books, and all my savings, and head to Bradford Exchange, Spring 1967. Place a few well-timed bets and treat myself to a trip on the 'Yorkshire Pullman'. Once I'm at Kings Cross I'd convince the ticket office clerk that a 12 month, First Class All-line Rover exists. Then you wouldn't see me until Spring '68.

After that I'd nip forward to 1990 to soak up the sectorisation delights of my childhood then just shoot back to 1960, leave the TARDIS be and go on from there, being sure to pick up a few 'Beatles' albums long the way... ;)

I would love to go back to Goods & Mineral Junc or Belle Isle S/B in the late 1950s and watch all the ECML services into and out of Kings Cross, plus the freight and l/e movements to and from the depot. And I would build a model of it - if I won the lottery.

However, due to my inbuilt cynicism it always amuses me when people start adding that they would take money with them, because unless they have access to the old £.s.d. notes and coinage they are going to get some very strange looks pre-1971 if they present the modern day money in a shop of the past.

Spare batteries and some form of recordable media would also be necessary, as a U2 or PP9 battery would not be much use in modern equipment, nor would a super8 cine cassette. And dont expect to get hungry, because a quick dash to the nearest McDs or KFC outlet would not be an option either. If you were not in a big city, the local chippy might open between 6 and 8 p.m., if you were lucky, but remember to check up on half day closing because the high street would become a ghost town that afternoon. No nipping to the supermarket pre-1960s because there weren't any.

And lets not go into how silly you might look unless you dressed in the fashions of yesteryear.

Sorry if I am pouring cold water on this, but the past was never quite as idyllic as we like to make out.

• RMweb Gold

Lots of places .. assuming the ability to photograph - I'd go everywhere and photograph every signal box and signal.

or narrowed down a bit ...

Grayrigg / Thrimby Grange on the high hills of the WCML, in steam days, any period !

All my local railways, again any period

Chester / Preston / Rugby / any big LNWR station - in LNWR days to watch the operation.

In no particular order, I'd spend a few hours at ...

Ballachulish (1965);

Riccarton Junction (1968).

And I'd take trips between ...

Carmarthen-Aberystwyth (1964);

Bala-Trawsfyndd-Blaenau Ffestiniog (1959);

Merhyr-Brecon via Torpantau (1958);

Brecon-Moat Lane (1962).

I wish :D

And lets not go into how silly you might look unless you dressed in the fashions of yesteryear.

Come on, we're railway enthusiasts!

We could wear anything, and as long as we have a notebook and pen in-hand, I doubt anyone would look twice.

:D

However, due to my inbuilt cynicism it always amuses me when people start adding that they would take money with them, because unless they have access to the old £.s.d. notes and coinage they are going to get some very strange looks pre-1971 if they present the modern day money in a shop of the past.

I wonder what would make a good currency for transactions in the past - maybe gold bullion or diamonds, though you'd have to make a trip to a jeweller to sell them, and try to avoid getting nicked when you couldn't say where they'd come from.

Spare batteries and some form of recordable media would also be necessary, as a U2 or PP9 battery would not be much use in modern equipment, nor would a super8 cine cassette.

As long as you brought enough batteries, the locals would be pretty impressed by your DSLR with thousands of colour photos on a tiny card, or digital HD movie camera with hours of footage.

Sorry if I am pouring cold water on this, but the past was never quite as idyllic as we like to make out.

If you're being really serious, you'd do well to wear a full biohazard suit for the duration of your trip, as you would have little resistance to the strains of even common and normally harmless diseases around in the past, and the locals would be equally susceptible to modern strains. Wiping out half the country with virulent flu would seem a high price to pay for a bit of trainspotting.

Paul

In addition to whats already been said, say you were going back to the early postwar period, you'de need to wear 20 inch bottoms flannel trousers with turn-ups, a grandad shirt, a cardigan and a gaberdine. Alternatively army & navy surplus trousers, leather belt, braces and leather shoes (clogs in Oldham). Probably best to pose as an American tourist! You'll have no ration book anyway.

The one thing you will not be prepared for if in a town or city is the air polution. Smoke in the air from millions of household fires, factories and mills, plus exhaust smoke from worn out prewar buses, lorries and cars.

Be prepared for a crummy bedsit if staying overnight, £sd money, single glazing, rugs and floor boards instead of fitted carpets and a geezer for hot water. Take threepennybits for the gas meter if you wanna keep warm. You'de run the gammut of inquisitive bobbies either on foot or on bikes, and pubs shut at 10pm weekdays too. If you take a digital camera, keep it hidden as not even scientists would know what it was or how the technology functioned. No dropping litter, spitting or swearing on the street either, but you can smoke yourself silly just about anywhere you like. The radio news might interest you if someone is being hanged next morning! And be careful on a bus....you might fall off the open platform. Come to think of it, most of you born after 1960 wouldnt be able to cope!wink.gif laugh.gif

Be prepared for a crummy bedsit if staying overnight, £sd money, single glazing, rugs and floor boards instead of fitted carpets and a geezer for hot water.

If I had time machine I would commute back to the present to sleep and get some some decent food! The money issue is a bit more difficult, you need to get some early Elgar £20s travel back to just after they were introduced and swap them for the Faraday versions, do the same with Shakepere £20s. At this point you may need to switch to £10 but you get the idea. The benefit of this is that you retain the absolute value, if you used Gold it would vary in value.

I would probably cock up the TM settings, and finish up on board a ship in the Atlantic in 1912, you know the one, TIT*****,

I'll get my coat ( and dress ), it's probably cold in them there lifeboats.

• RMweb Gold

In addition to whats already been said, say you were going back to the early postwar period, you'de need to wear 20 inch bottoms flannel trousers with turn-ups, a grandad shirt, a cardigan and a gaberdine. Alternatively army & navy surplus trousers, leather belt, braces and leather shoes (clogs in Oldham). Probably best to pose as an American tourist! You'll have no ration book anyway.

The one thing you will not be prepared for if in a town or city is the air polution. Smoke in the air from millions of household fires, factories and mills, plus exhaust smoke from worn out prewar buses, lorries and cars.

Be prepared for a crummy bedsit if staying overnight, £sd money, single glazing, rugs and floor boards instead of fitted carpets and a geezer for hot water. Take threepennybits for the gas meter if you wanna keep warm. You'de run the gammut of inquisitive bobbies either on foot or on bikes, and pubs shut at 10pm weekdays too. If you take a digital camera, keep it hidden as not even scientists would know what it was or how the technology functioned. No dropping litter, spitting or swearing on the street either, but you can smoke yourself silly just about anywhere you like. The radio news might interest you if someone is being hanged next morning! And be careful on a bus....you might fall off the open platform. Come to think of it, most of you born after 1960 wouldnt be able to cope!wink.gif laugh.gif

That list is very worrying Coach as apart from the clothes I could rustle up all those essentials without too much trouble although the date of birth on things like my Identity Card and the Ration Book with a bit of crayon scribble on it might cause the coppers to raise the odd eyebrow.

And for those linesiding in country areas binder twine to hold up your trousers would be far more fashionable than a belt and an Army surplus leather jerkin would also be useful together with a beret. Now where did I put that ten bob note?

It's all become a faraway land now alas - had its hardships (aplenty) but a lot more certainty in some respects than today, and you could get a job.

......but a lot more certainty in some respects than today, and you could get a job.

That's the thing. How many would be sending the tardis back empty when they can get a job and cycle down to the nearest railwayline to watch steam after work!smile.gif

...almost anywhere near a railway about 50 years ago would suit for a couple of weeks sabatical. I'd be quite happy with a period Rollieflex (though that might upset some due to WW2 not beng too far behind - it being a German camera) and some modern day Fujichrome. Not sure I'd be too keen on the accepted leisurewear of flanels, tie and jacket if it was a heat wave though.

I imagine if we had the tech to get us there, one would be well prepared with any paperwork and currency.

I should like to go to Manchester Central, circa 1913, equipped with a digital camera. After getting bored with all the GC and Midland eye candy i'd get a local train to Guide Bridge and go on the big footbridge there. GC and LNW locos and some wonderful wagon pictures. Then on to Marylebone via Woodhead and Leicester.

If I'm allowed a second trip it would be to the Leek and Manifold, preferably when the locos and coaches were in their original livery, preferably in summer so I don't freeze to death. Then to Bolton for a ride on the Horwich tram route and a wander round the L&Y works.

There's a lot more I'd like to do - in fact I could probably write a book on the subject.rolleyes.gif

Ha, ha, ha!

Great fun to be had by all! However, i'm afraid i would become an assasin!

First trip to 1920's Berlin to deal with a certain little Austrian!

Secondly, find out where Mister Beeching worked - just to be sure!!!!!

Finally, a certain greengrocers shop in Grantham!

Last of all, swap my sniper rifle for, excellent digital camera, laptop, video and (probably) a portable solar array to supply energy and park up in about 1870 to spend the rest of my days by the lineside anywhere in England, really!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

...almost anywhere near a railway about 50 years ago would suit for a couple of weeks sabatical. I'd be quite happy with a period Rollieflex (though that might upset some due to WW2 not beng too far behind - it being a German camera) and some modern day Fujichrome. Not sure I'd be too keen on the accepted leisurewear of flanels, tie and jacket if it was a heat wave though.

I imagine if we had the tech to get us there, one would be well prepared with any paperwork and currency.

I think the Fujichrome would definitely have the edge over the Kodachrome of 51 years ago :blush:

post-6859-127997940371_thumb.jpg

Imagine a pal has dropped you off the Tardis sometime between 1920 and 1950 and you have arrived at your lodgings at 10pm just before your land lady locks the door. She leads the way upstairs with a candle on a tray and pulls out the gas mantle in your room to light it. "Goodnight" she murmers and you look around your dimly lit room at the green and gold wallpaper and iron bedstead.

Leaving the moth-eaten cotton curtains open just above your bed, you lye there looking skyward at the crystal clear inverted hemisphere displaying all the wealth and magic found in the universe. A distant loco whistle achoes through the still calm of the night and you pinch yourelf to make sure you're really there. You made it, and everything you ever read about the past will be real in the morning, to see, to touch and to smell.

Sweet dreams.....smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Well it did have electricity but Ravenstor YHA in Millers Dale was immediately across the fairly narrow valley from the Midland mainline as it climbed up out of Monsal Dale. At night with the dorm window open you could here a freight as it came out of the tunnel at Monsal Head and then climbed the bank - superb stuff and even better if everyone else in the dorm was there on the same mission and the windows stayed open all night.

Definitely recommended if your Tardis is passing in that vicinity (or does this just count as thinly disguised nostalgia?).

Be prepared for a crummy bedsit if staying overnight, £sd money, single glazing, rugs and floor boards instead of fitted carpets and a geezer for hot water.

Dunno why you think anyone would want to stay in a bedsit, what with reverse inflation I'd be enjoying the Midland Grand at St Pancras or any other station hotel for the price of a coffee and sandwich from the platform buffet today.

Paul

• 3 months later...

Just came across this thread ! If I could go back in time, a couple of places I would visit:-

The Rhondda Fach valley @ 1937, with a special stop at National Colliery, Wattstown. Also a stop at Cymmer Colliery, Porth.

The Rhondda Fach Valley 1962, passenger trains running between Porth and Maerdy, now all diesel, but photos very thin on the ground. Also another stop at National Colliery, Wattstown. My grandfather worked there then. I would have loved to see him entering the cage to descend the pit at the start of his shift, and then exiting the cage after he ascended the pit at the finish of his

shift.

1976, catch a train one more time between Porth and Pontypridd. Why ? So has i could see the Tymawr colliery and washery one more time, and its associated signal box.:)

My first port of call would be a ride in the APT as I missed out on it when I was small and I was disappointed ever since (Pendolinos just aren't the same ;)).

After that, load me up with with a camera and enough money for the fares and let me explore the western region of the 1950s. Maybe go back to the 30s too and try riding on one of the real luxury trains of the day (orient express maybe?).

That is just train stuff. There is loads of of other stuff I would like to see given a chance. Some of the great daylight comets and other astronomical spectacle of previous centuries.

Failing that I would go back in time a couple of weeks with the winning numbers for that euromillions rollover. :rolleyes:

1 - The Bishopsgate and Spitalfileds area's in either 1935 or the 1950's....can't decide which era....1920 to see the GER in glorius action is very tempting as well.

2 - East Smithfield (London Docks) Goods Depot.....but again, I can't decide between '35 or the 50's. The whole area from Leman Street into Fenchurch Street would have been interesting.

3 - Ely/Soham in 1980.....just to see if it was as good as I have a horrible feeling it was. While I was festering on Cambridge week after week, all kinds of traction appears to have been on view just a few miles up the road!

I've always been fascinated by 1 & 2. Photo's of both, especially East Smithfield, are hard to find.

Archived