Calne Model Rail Show 22 & 23 January 2011

Geoff Endacott

The 18th Annual Calne Model Rail Show

The Calne Leisure Centre, White Horse Way, Calne, Wilts., SN11 0SP.

Saturday 22nd January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm

Sunday 23rd January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm

The 16 layouts booked to attend are:

Black Dog Halt (OO): Chris Leigh

Byhook (OO): Burnham & District MRC

Calne (EM): Chris Hewitt

Coeur D'Alene (On30): Garth Ponsonby & Geoff Bishop

Esme River Railroad (On30/O16.5): Paul & Den Davis

Exdale Light Railway (O16.5): Newbury MRC

Grovedale (N): Dave Lear

Hedges Hill Cutting (N): Bentley MRG

Highbury Colliery (2mm): Jerry Clifford

Kuppla Yard (HO): Dave Barclay

Melksham (OO): James Chappell / The Gas Cupboard

Roker Bridge (OO): Mike Briggs

The Works Yard (EM): John Bruce

Wartime (OO): Bentley MRG

Weisswasser (N): Harry Harper

Yarnham (N): Giles Mockford

Trade:

Andy Lynch

Aspire Gifts and Models

Brunswick Railways

Finishing Touches

Great Western Society

Keith's Model Railways

Kytes Lights

M B Models

Modelmania

R D Whyborn

Rail-books.co.uk

Railroom Electronics

Richard's Railways

The Gas Cupboard

Adult: £4.00; OAP: £3.00; Child: £2.00; Family (2+2): £10.00.

www.calnemrs.org.uk

Geoff Endacott

• 5 months later...

First the good news - the show is featured in today's Western Daily Press.

Now the bad news - the article says the show is this weekend.

It isn't, of course, we are still all systems go for 22 & 23 January.

If anyone does turn up one week early I will advise them to buy a better newspaper.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to this weekend - I grew up in Calne but haven't been back since before they knocked the Pie factory and the remainder of the old Station down.

Three birds with one stone - a show, a walk down memory lane, and a drink or two in some memory lane boozers :)

This has been in my calender for some time now and now the wait is nearly over - not only is this my local show, there are several layouts that have a special interest for me! :D :D Calne and Black Dog together will call for some serious amounts of photos, and there are several others that I have seen before that are well worth revisiting,

'Mitziblue' (Witney Euston) and myself will be there for most of Saturday - particularly loitering around Highbury Colliery about lunchtime where 'queensquare' has asked us to help out (it is not intended that any jelly babies will be harmed in the experience - but I make no promises :P )

• RMweb Gold

'Mitziblue' (Witney Euston) and myself will be there for most of Saturday - particularly loitering around Highbury Colliery about lunchtime where 'queensquare' has asked us to help out (it is not intended that any jelly babies will be harmed in the experience - but I make no promises :P )

Looking forward to seeing you both. John Greenwood (Wenford bridge in 2FS with working cranes and all three Beatie Well tanks) is coming up from Cornwall to help me operate over the weekend. Don't be surprised if Mr exhibition manager Endacott joins you in a bit of loitering - he rarely misses the chance to book a top layout and Witney certainly fits that bill, (to be followed in a few years time by Calne in 2FS).

Jerry

ps. the kids finished my christmas stash of jelly babies so will have to see what I can rustle up tommorow!!

My sincere apologies for being unable to attend the Calne show and having to cry off at the eleventh hour. I was due to come on Sunday to support the group which is very nobly exhibiting Black Dog Halt (and taking care of it when not on show).

Unfortunately I had a prior work commitment to the Bristol O gauge show for Model Rail and that show's date was changed without me realising it would introduce a double-booking in my diary. Work has to come before pleasure and I'm the only member of staff available to do Bristol.

Really sorry, as I was looking forward to seeing BDH again.

CHRIS LEIGH

As expected, a most enjoyable show :good_mini: Certainly, it appeared to be well attended, and the crowds seemed to be having a good time. For myself I was very happy to be able to get back to my 'local' show and found that all of the people that I spoke to, on both the layouts and the trade stands, were happy to chat! With my focus on the Calne Branch, it was a great opportunity to have a really good look at the two key stations on the line (Black Dog and Calne) and get a feel for others' interpretation of the prototype - however, there was SO much to study on these, I'll just have to go back again tomorrow... ...and perhaps I'll be able to get a look at some of the others this time; Wartime especially has always been a favourite of mine.

But Mark and I had to earn our keep and after a brief session of driver training we were let loose unsupervised on Highbury Colliery (my apologies now to anyone who wanted to see professional layout operation when we were driving - sorry :P ). In line with the introduction to layout operation and exhibitions that we were given by Jerry several months ago now, the industrial output of the colliery changed briefly somewhat when a new seam was discovered...

post-6085-0-99154900-1295724413_thumb.jpg

...but for those faint-hearted of you who may be concerned about the well-being of the jelly babies, the photo below proves that they came to no harm...

post-6085-0-32154300-1295724424_thumb.jpg

A definite thanks to Geoff Endacott and the others from BMRG for a great show, and I look forward to another days fun playing trains... :D

Archived