Bachmann GWR ROD announced

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Cheltenham Models Centre selling at £117.00 at Warley yesterday

Mike Wiltshire

Yes, I bought mine from there and cancelled my (more expensive) pre-order from another box shifter.

Keith

PS. according to MREmag Bachmann have ben inundated with complaints about "missing" vacuum brakes.

As pointed out they never had them!

And available at £113 from Holts. I'm sure that for the patient, the price will drop even further.

First one returned half-an-hour after purchase : broken lower slide bar. Returns are becoming a disappointingly frequent occurrence with both Hornby and Bachmann I'm afraid. Replacement appears OK though.

Overall impressions are favorable however and the model seems to capture the appearance of the original well. The under-boiler area is a solid moulding though [unlike the Hornby 28xx] and so there is no representation of the inside motion. This is not hugely noticeable as the gap between the running plate and the bottom of the boiler is not large. I like the hinged fall-plate on the tender, the simplified and much-improved tender coupling arrangement with a neat solution to dangling electrical cables and the cab detail. I've not been able to run it yet but I'd imagine that it would have good haulage power being quite heavy.

The tender coal load is a solid metal casting - useful weight for a relatively light tender. It is painted in a fairly glossy black however - that will be resprayed in matt black shortly.

Some photos...............

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

Tony

I've not been able to run it yet but I'd imagine that it would have good haulage power being quite heavy.

I was not impressed with the haulage power. Twenty light Bachmann type wagons is the maximum before slipping occurs. I have inclines and ten is the max then. I know many are not happy with Hornby at present but their locos do appear to have much greater haulage power. Hornby's A1 will pull a nine coach pullman train up the same incline with a slight hint of slip, compared to Bachmann's Tornado that can only manage five (and with major slipping).

I had the same issue with the 45XX tanks. I replaced Bachmanns 'weights' with lead and now they will haul five kit built coached up the incline without slippling, whereas before they slipped badly with a kit built B set.

The ROD loco is rediculously light, yet the tender carries a seriously heavy casting (remove this to add three wagons to its' haulage capacity) . All that body area and no noticeable weight. I have not removed the body yet to see if it can be filled with lead, something we had to do back in the 70's to get our rtr to haul. It has been suggested to me by one of my regular retailers that the low weight is a consideration for transport costs from China!

It looks great but the same cannot be said for its haulage capacity.

regards

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I am not totally sold on this engine yet, and with its price remaing quite high I will wait until they drop down which they inevitably will

Wait until the B.R.(W.R.) version is available--and then see that it is heavily weathered. A thing of wonder it was to see them wheezing & clanking along the South Wales main line at the head of freight during the early to mid 50's. With a little amount of tongue-in -cheek, I would repectfully suggest that the GWR version is a visual fiction--unless you model it for a publicity photo outside the works circa 1920. The R.O.D. re-defined loco filth. That is NOT to declare that it isn't a wonderful model.

Looks lovely, but my father suggested that the firebox 'coal hole' was set differently (lower) to that on the 04. He knew the GW variant well as he often cadged a cab ride on coal trains working through Brislington, on the way to Radstock. In return he helped the guard light gas lamps at intermediate stations! His comments came a couple of years back when we 'cabbed' the NRM example at the GCR.

The backhead appears the same as 63601 on this model. If anyone can clarify this, I'd be very grateful.

N

post script, found this blog:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/71/entry-3432-end-nearly-in-sight-time-for-a-bit-of-cab-detailing/

Thanks 5XP! perhaps the firebox door height is correct for the GW version? It would be great of anyone could post or link a prototype image.

Having purchased one, I ran it on DC and all was satisfactory. I then removed the blanking plug and fitted a new Zimo decoder, which could not be programmed. I replaced it with a spare Bachmann decoder which was promptly fried by the AC current. I put the Zimo decoder in another model and it programmed and works normally. Lesson 1, the Zimo MX631 is a tough decoder. I then removed the 21 pin fitting and hard wired a spare decoder in, all is well. It should be noted that the dummy plate and both decoder types have only 21 pins, and so cannot be fitted incorrectly.

So lesson 2, there was at least ROD wired as to work in DC and yet will destroy a Bachmann decoder.

Julian

• RMweb Premium

Mine too ran ok on DC, but fitting a decoder (sapphire) and gaugemaster it triggered short circuit warning. Sent back to Hattons who promptly replaced, but identical problem with the replacement (they only test DC). This time I also tried a Bachmann decoder but this time no short but nothing happened. Reprogramming didnt work either - returned the decoder to the donor loco and it worked fine. Now I have contacted Bachmann who have asked me to send to them this time - so await news.

Im glad I am not the only one having trouble with his ROD !! (stop sniggering at the back ) I am onto my third one they all work fine on dc but when I chip them they were all dead ! power cab just says cant read cv,s ! (computer says no ) I am beginning to think it may be a faulty batch ! Just sent another one off to hattons its costing me a fortune in return postage !! and i m not confident the next one will be any better watch this space .....Might be time to return to Banger blue 37s mehinks ....

Archived