Bachmann GWR ROD announced

Andy Y

What bugs me is that Bachmann flat out refuses to even consider doing an HO version of the ROD for other markets. 300 of them ran in France, nearly 100 in the Middle East, 46 in China and 23 in Australia.

Cheers

David

The numbers suggest that the French market would be most welcoming to a ROD, but I doubt it, sincerely. The locomotive ran in wartime - it's not necessarily a period that many railway modelers actually model, after all. There's definitely the odd one or two on the British circuit (one in I think, S scale), but I can't see the French market buying an HO model of a British prototype that stayed abroad for a brief period - correct me if I am wrong, but were not the 300 RODs returned to Britain from France (whereas the 93 in the Middle East stayed put, as did the 23 in Austrailia).

I'm with Bachmann on this one - I'm not an expert by any means but I am struggling to see a market for it in HO.

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Bachmann on this one - I'm not an expert by any means but I am struggling to see a market for it in HO.

I'm guessing one of the other big European manufacturers would have picked it up if it was a "winner". There's no HO RTR WD 2-8-0 either.

What bugs me is that Bachmann flat out refuses to even consider doing an HO version of the ROD for other markets. 300 of them ran in France, nearly 100 in the Middle East, 46 in China and 23 in Australia.

That would be Bachmann UK I presume..? They are a seperate business unit from Bachmann China for instance, and they would have no interest understandably in producing H0 models for other markets (though if demand is there, surely an intrepid Aussie outfit could commision an H0 version..?).

As it stands, only Bachmann China would in theory be interested in producing an H0 ROD as they are the only other Bachmann division that manufacturers prototypes in the regions covered by the ROD. Bachmann US would be a no go, as would Liliput having absolutely no interest in the prototype.

Now to check if one ran with the late crest .......

(And PS MR Bachmann - how about the tender available on its own or even a new release 2251 with the ROD tender?) [/i]

According to E.R.Mountford's book on Caerphilly Works, use of the late crest commenced in early 1957. Only six RODs survived at the start of 1957, with one withdrawn in Jan 1957. The remaining five 3011, 3015, 3024, 3036 and 3041 were all based at Carmarthen 87G (my local shed at the time). So these five locos are presumably the only possible candidates for a late crest. Nos 3036/41 were withdrawn in March 1958, and the other three in October 1958. I am told at least one got a repaint in 1957, but I don't remember it and can't find any photos showing a late crest. Most just show the usual heavy grime with no crest evident at all.

Still I am sure that Bachmann will have done the necessary research. I look forward to acquiring one for my modelling project featuring trains from South West Wales in the late 1950s.

David

I once ran an editorial comment in which I suggested it would be a good idea if British manufacturers went 'HO'. I was very popular with a VERY small number of people! This isn't really the place for this discussion but I can't think of a British model done in 'HO' that's been a success - even the Rivarossi 'Scot', a British loco that actually went abroad. However, maybe there's a glimmer of hope for an 'HO' ROD - three years ago Bachmann wouldn't entertain the idea of doing a Blue Pullman!

CHRIS LEIGH

I wonder what is the point of going HO at this stage of the game when there's no RTP track. Peco is European or North American HO and SMP is British sleeper spacing for 4mm.

Then there is all that duplication of steam, diesel & electric locomotives, wagons, coaches and buildings. It's a potential nightmare involving two streams. Goodness knows how model shops would cope with stocks wondering whether HO or 00 will be left on thier hands.

According to E.R.Mountford's book on Caerphilly Works, use of the late crest commenced in early 1957. Only six RODs survived at the start of 1957, with one withdrawn in Jan 1957. The remaining five 3011, 3015, 3024, 3036 and 3041 were all based at Carmarthen 87G (my local shed at the time). So these five locos are presumably the only possible candidates for a late crest. Nos 3036/41 were withdrawn in March 1958, and the other three in October 1958. I am told at least one got a repaint in 1957, but I don't remember it and can't find any photos showing a late crest. Most just show the usual heavy grime with no crest evident at all.

Still I am sure that Bachmann will have done the necessary research. I look forward to acquiring one for my modelling project featuring trains from South West Wales in the late 1950s.

David

Hi, David!

Kernow's latest newsletter (rleased Friday 30th July) states that Bachmann have now changed their intention, and 31-128 will be EARLY EMBLEM and WEATHERED finish - presumably acknowledging the limited possibilities for a late crest livery

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi, David!

Kernow's latest newsletter (rleased Friday 30th July) states that Bachmann have now changed their intention, and 31-128 will be EARLY EMBLEM and WEATHERED finish - presumably acknowledging the limited possibilities for a late crest livery

Richard

I think I'd prefer 'credibly filthy' to weathered - but then I do have some paint brushes :)

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Saw this in the flesh today at GWR175 and sad to say it looked a bit bland compared with the Hornby 28XX I dont know if it was a pre production, but it did not impress like the LNER versions, the S&D 7F on the other had was fabulous, not quite up to the Hornby 28XX standard but pretty damn close.

• RMweb Gold

Saw this in the flesh today at GWR175 and sad to say it looked a bit bland compared with the Hornby 28XX I dont know if it was a pre production, but it did not impress like the LNER versions, the S&D 7F on the other had was fabulous, not quite up to the Hornby 28XX standard but pretty damn close.

I think part of the problem with viewing it at Swindon was its position. I couldn't get a decent pic of it which suggests that the lighting was very uneven in the bottom of that showcase (not an excuse for my photography but

look at what I did manage - with a bit of subsequent 'adjustment' - with the 28XXs. In contrast, a lot of contrast as it happens, the ROD was very difficult to get as anything other than a dark blob whereas the O4s were high up and much more brightly and evenly lit.

So I'm not particularly judgemental about it, one way or the other, on the basis of what I (almost)saw yesterday and would like a better look at it before commenting.

In any case it is up against a brilliant piece of work in the shape of the 28XX (the 2810 oddity aside) and no doubt that will also show in the final retail prices of the two?

• RMweb Premium

Yes the ROD was poorly positioned and lit, it looked like the paint job was a bit heavy but yes we should not be too judgemental until we can get a good look at it. It will not stop me purchasing one of these fine engines to work alongside the 28XX that I will inevitably purchase and probably a S&D 7F, its going to be a good year for heavy freight locos, just a shame those GWR 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 tanks are not in the pipeline yet.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just seen the RRP on these on the Antics website.Up there with the City of Truro. :huh: Available soon.

http://www.anticsonl...o.uk/750_1.html

I'm fairly sure they are the RRP that have been on Bachmann's website since early last month - I know a couple of them were showing there as over £140 (as does the S&DJR 7F) when i looked some weeks back. BTW Bachmann aren't showing a date for the ROD as yet.

• 9 months later...

Archived