Bachmann GWR ROD announced

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hattons are offering the GWR ROD at £130. Why is it twice the price of the 3F, only £62? I can't see that there is so much difference between the two in level of detail.

Presumably it all depends on the level of discount they are prepared to offer off RRP and that is no doubt influenced by sales volume let alone the starting RRP level. The discount on the 0-6-0 looks to be c.£23 which is around 27% while the discount on the 2-8-0 is c£22 which is around 14% but note in both cases the cash discount amount is fairly similar (which might just be the way Hattons system works?). The difference in RRP is no doubt explained by all sorts of things - for a start the GWR ROD is larger (which means more material), involves more parts and assembly complexity (which means a higher labour cost as well as a larger cost in material), involves two-colour decoration of the body, and so on. As it happens its RRP is not exactly out of line with what we are now seeing in pricing out of China while the 3F seems to be distinctly 'carefully' priced - presumably to help attract the high volume sales needed to get the return on investment?

And just watch what might happen with the two prices over the coming month or so - I suspect the ROD will reduce while teh £f is likely to rise a little.

They perhap hoping the words GWR will have punters flooding in hence the price.

I see no other reason to justify the daft prices they are trying to charge . At the end of the day two extra drivers, the simplest of valve gear and cylinder and a different safety valve and mask the smokebox off when you paint the green or black whichever way they do it.

If its a flop ??? they will soon drop in price time will tell,

Guest dilbert

Or 'Great Western'.. I think you're right though. This has been eagerly awaited by GWR modellers since it was announced.

It has arrived at an opportune time; place the order, it is shipped to the cold northern wastelands and then magically arrives in five weeks time - if you're out, the package will safely negotiate the chimney,even if you haven't a fireplace and land undamaged in your lounge, thereby avoiding travelling short distances to sorting offices on public holidays etc....

BTW, RoS have it listed at £122.50... dilbert

edit : it also comes DDC fitted

edit : it also comes DDC fitted

Ahhh, that would probably account for it. I am still hoping this one goes through the shrinking machine and comes in N gauge. I model the B&NSR and the GWR RODs were regulars on this line almost until closure, plodding over the Mendips with heavy coal trains.

...edit : it also comes DDC fitted

No, it is "DCC ready", apparently continuing Bachmann's current policy of using 21 pin sockets.

Ahhh, that would probably account for it. I am still hoping this one goes through the shrinking machine and comes in N gauge. I model the B&NSR and the GWR RODs were regulars on this line almost until closure, plodding over the Mendips with heavy coal trains.

Well, yes, 3032, 3017 and sometimes 3014 were seen in the fifties, but did they appear in GWR or Great Western colours? I do hope not because I wouldn't really want one of these ugly brutes to be seen amongst my elegant Swindon and Wolverhampton built engines. As to plodding over the Mendips, that fine range of hills is a mere shadow of itself at less than 450' at the highest point of the line near Mells.

Nick (who's just trying to pursuade himself that he doesn't need one)

Edited to add 3017 to the list.

I see no other reason to justify the daft prices they are trying to charge . At the end of the day two extra drivers, the simplest of valve gear and cylinder and a different safety valve and mask the smokebox off when you paint the green or black whichever way they do it.

If its a flop ??? they will soon drop in price time will tell,

Someone who does not know what he is talking about and trying to give an opinion

• RMweb Gold

No, it is "DCC ready", apparently continuing Bachmann's current policy of using 21 pin sockets.

Well, yes, 3032 and sometimes 3014 were seen in the fifties, but did they appear in GWR or Great Western colours? I do hope not because I wouldn't really want one of these ugly brutes to be seen amongst my elegant Swindon and Wolverhampton built engines. As to plodding over the Mendips, that fine range of hills is a mere shadow of itself at less than 450' at the highest point of the line near Mells.

Nick (who's just trying to pursuade himself that he doesn't need one)

I should imagine they were absolutely filthy so the colour underneath was probably invisible and quite obviously you do really need something contrasting in order to show the elegance of Swindon and Stafford Road products to perfection :boast:

Guest dilbert

er, yes, confused the ROD with the Dukedog which will be DDC Fitted... dilbert

I should imagine they were absolutely filthy so the colour underneath was probably invisible and quite obviously you do really need something contrasting in order to show the elegance of Swindon and Stafford Road products to perfection :boast:

Oh dear, I've just discovered that there were five of them at St Philip's Marsh in 1938. I'll have to think of another excuse...

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I've just discovered that there were five of them at St Philip's Marsh in 1938. I'll have to think of another excuse...

Nick

Were any at Laira or Newton around that time Nick ?

Were any at Laira or Newton around that time Nick ?

I don't have any 1938 allocations to hand for Laira or Newton in 1938, but

1921: Laira 3033/5/6/8/64, NA 3049

1934: Laira 3049, NA 3032/9

Nick

ps. it's getting worse, I caught myself thinking that they are more attractive than the Krugers :senile:

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any 1938 allocations to hand for Laira or Newton in 1938, but

1921: Laira 3033/5/6/8/64, NA 3049

1934: Laira 3049, NA 3032/9

Nick

and there was me thinking I would not need one as they were "rare" - only wanting to standardise on pure Swindon products... But I have even found evidence of them in the Thames Valley....

Darn, it - Poverty it is then!!

Guest dilbert

DDC? Ah, 'Direct Dilbert Control' ... got it :jester: (sorry, just couldn't resist the temptation :angel: ).

Nearly, replace 'control' with 'clockwork' ... dilbert

No, it is "DCC ready", apparently continuing Bachmann's current policy of using 21 pin sockets. Well, yes, 3032 and sometimes 3014 were seen in the fifties, but did they appear in GWR or Great Western colours?

I am pretty sure they were regulars on the line prior to nationalisation but I do not have my copy of "Through Countryside and Coalfield" to hand so I cannot confirm. There was a 3rd ROD IIRC that was seen on an intermittent basis deputising when one of the regulars was unavailable.

The third one was 3017. In fact, I should have said 3032 and 3017 in my earlier post as 3014 was the less frequent visitor. (earlier post edited to fix this ommission)

There are two photos (3032 on 2/11/1954 and 17/3/1955) in the Mike Vincent book, but the only reference I could find to pre-nationalisation use was when Bristol-Weymouth workings were diverted via Radstock after bomb damage at Bristol and Bath in April 1942. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to find RODs on the B&NS pre-nationalisation but, so far, haven't seen any real evidence.

Nick

• RMweb Premium

... and the Bachmann 21-pin decoder is like gold dust.

My last one will go in the correctly numbered BR Blue 2-EPB when it arrives shortly and as a money saving enterprise I have decided to boycott all new 21-pin models until the decoders are available. Otherwise I can't test the model fully and don't want to risk the warranty period expiring before doing so. I could swop out decoders for testing, but why should I risk snapping off detail parts just to do that.

Personally I would like to see Bachmann to follow Hornby's approach to new models and offer both DCC Ready (i.e. 8DCC or 21DCC) and DCC Fitted versions of the same model.

Please note the following communication from Bachmann:

We are being inundated with complaints that the GWR version of the ROD 2-8-0 released to dealers in the last week does not contain vacuum pipes.

The reason for this is that the real locomotives were fitted with steam brakes only and did not have vacuum brakes. To produce the GWR version required a new boiler and running plate tooling to reflect the differences between the types as there is no vacuum ejector pipe present either.

We would be grateful if you could bring this to the attention of your readers.

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

There is a good picture of BR black ROD 3017 in "Scenes from the Past:19 Railways in and around Newton Abbot and Torbay. C.R.Potts. Foxline".

It shows 3017 passing Newton Abbot West Box with a goods train on the up through line. It seems to be fairly clean, as the tenderside BR early emblem is very clearly visible.

The date of the photograph is given as 25th April 1953.

There is also a note to the effect that these locomotives were not fitted with vacuum brakes which ties in with the immediately prior post.

Edited: left out the date of the photograph in error.

...The difference in RRP is no doubt explained by all sorts of things ...

Please note the following communication from Bachmann: ... To produce the GWR version required a new boiler and running plate tooling to reflect the differences between the types...

And there's another thing that will have pushed up RRP; significant new parts were tooled to produce a low sales volume variant.

The price (Bachmann list price) should be compared with that of the O4 rather than the 3F:

ROD £152.85, weathered £160

O4 £142.90 / £145.50, weathered £152.75.

Not that much more for some significant new tooling - the O4 will be cheaper at the box shifters as they have some old stock bought last year when the RRP was lower. The same can be seen with wagons - last years minerals are typically being sold for less than £6, this years are around £8.

Archived