Bachmann 7F

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Just to keep the S&DJR sorts foaming.

OK so I've just seen this and I realise that I must have konked out earlier and am now in HEAVEN.

Wow! It looks really great and I'm having at least one even though they never ran anywhere near Exeter or Newcastle!

36E

I hope to eventually get one of these. Even thinking of getting the weathered version. Being an S&DJR modeller (and having a layout based on Wellow), one of these would be great.

I've heard that Bachmann hopes to release these in October/November time? But I'm thinking it will be more like February/March ... and possibly even later here in Canada?

Thanks,

Rob

sorry to sound like a stuck record...

cylinder or slide bar angles. I don't know the technical name for the casing that encloses the front of the piston (that protrudes from the cylinder front) - most UK locos don't have them, but it is definately at a different height/angle to the piston going in the back end! I don't know if the slide bar is too shallow, or cylinders too steep, but front/back piston HEIGHTs are definately different, and they shouldn't be.

Today's models have great detail, but various 'errors' in alignments really highlight the input from people (in China) who seemingly have no knowledge of the prototype, and how it works.

Come on Bachmann, sort it out BEFORE they enter production!

I feel awful criticising two models in the same way, but it has to be said. There's perfection, and then there's silly errors.

Other than that, and aside from very slightly chunky valve gear, looks lovely.

dOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE TIME TWO THEM DEPUTISED FOR A FAILED SEMI ON THE UP MID-DAY SCOT???? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Was it foggy? rolleyes.gif

Changing tack, I see that the return crank is correct (i.e. leaning backwards for outside admission valves) on the side shown. What's it like on the other side?

I model in N, but I'll be getting one of these rolleyes.gif

Hey Ben. If you lay your N gauge double track very carefully so the distance between the adjacent rails is 16.5mm you'll have somewhere to run it! wink.gif wacko.gif

I heard a rumour the LMS had tried out a S&DJR 2-8-0s on a coal train between Stalybridge and Huddersfield, pitted against a LYR Fat Nelly 0-8-0 and a choice-picked LNWR Super D 0-8-0 in 1924.

The LYR Fat Nellie did what it was designed to do but got wedged in Diggle Tunnel. The S&DRJ 2-8-0 needed its axleboxes re-metalling before it reached Mossley, while the LNWR 0-8-0 did well to Diggle Tunnel then ran away beyond Marsden and dissapeared off the LMS radar.

...cylinder or slide bar angles. I don't know the technical name for the casing that encloses the front of the piston (that protrudes from the cylinder front) - most UK locos don't have them, but it is definately at a different height/angle to the piston going in the back end!...

You are right, and the part you cannot name is a piston rod cover. For obvious reasons it is coaxial with the piston rod. Is there some way this can be communicated appropriately to Bachmann to be sorted out? It is a pretty glaring fault to anyone with a feeling for things mechanical, (even though such people will likely be able to correct it once they have the model in their hands).

That apart though, the general charm of this machine is going to entail spending time with my eyes shut in model shops. Repeat the mantra 'No fit with my modelling ...'.

I heard a rumour the LMS had tried out a S&DJR 2-8-0s on a coal train between Stalybridge and Huddersfield, pitted against a LYR Fat Nelly 0-8-0 and a choice-picked LNWR Super D 0-8-0 in 1924.

Wot! no MM 2-8-0 in the line-up?unsure.gif

Lovely - I said to Dad at the weekend that this is probably the only new steam engine I'm ever likely to buy - my Grandpa gave me the quartet of Somerset and Dorset in the Fifties/Sixties books 10+ years ago smile.gif

Surely you'll need a 3F to go with itbiggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

I wonder whether the piston tailrod/cylinder cover is a one piece plastic assembly that fits over the cylinder unit and is mis-aligned on the pre-prod sample.

even the slide bars look slightly non parallel to me.

53807 also had tail rod covers in late crest BR service

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Really glad i bottled out of having a kit one of these built a few years back. Will be able to have 3 or 4 of the Bachmann ones for the money I saved :lol: I suspect that my current policy of buying stock that ran on the line that i model will be tested when these hit the shops. Will look nice with a couple of Beattie Well Tanks. Time to dig out the S&D book collection me thinks.. Even if the cylinder tail rod cover is wrong i can't see many joe public being bothered and most serious modellers that are offended by the error should have no problem altering it. annoying that it's not correct but not the end of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to eventually get one of these. Even thinking of getting the weathered version. Being an S&DJR modeller (and having a layout based on Wellow), one of these would be great.

I've heard that Bachmann hopes to release these in October/November time? But I'm thinking it will be more like February/March ... and possibly even later here in Canada?

Thanks,

Rob

It's hoped at this stage subject to everything going to plan that it will be out before Xmas - I asked when at Barwell last week :)

I forgot to ask whether there'll be token exchange apparatus included as part of a detail pack - these engines (in BR days at least) had one on each side of the tender due to occasional tender first working becuase of the the short turntable at Evercreech. Otherwise I guess something could be cobbled togther from some scraps in he event of nothing etched being available.

Archived