LNER planked vans

Andy Y

Not sure about the axleboxes though - shouldn't these have the LNER type?

As built yes but I guess some would have gained BR split type. I'd agree it is odd to model something more suited to nationalisation.

The bodies do look better than previous planking and it might be possible to use the Fruit van body amongst kit stock.

Solebars show some interesting patterns on these pre-production models.

Oh dear SWMBO'ed may notice more wagons on the layout I only have a small but selective collection of 44! :blink:

Oh I must remember not to ask her to look for any changes!.

Ha I have a cunning plan... get another sound loco and she won't notice the wagons! :rolleyes:

As built yes but I guess some would have gained BR split type. I'd agree it is odd to model something more suited to nationalisation..

Maybe not so odd, given that the majority of models manufactured and sold will wear BR livery. In similar vein I was pleased to see yesterday that the wooden door variant of the steel High has the correct (for when it was built) single-sided Morton brakegear

Maybe not so odd, given that the majority of models manufactured and sold will wear BR livery. In similar vein I was pleased to see yesterday that the wooden door variant of the steel High has the correct (for when it was built) single-sided Morton brakegear

True, BR will be most popular but they'll probably do one in NE lettering which will just be wrong. If they'd fitted the original type axleboxes it would have just been right for them all and some people could then fit split BR axleboxes as they wished.

True, BR will be most popular but they'll probably do one in NE lettering which will just be wrong.

I see your point, but it's no more wrong than the plate-pattern axleguards of the existing push-brake chassis when applied to a pre-BR wagon (or all those wagons without tiebars...)

And it's eight quid, FGSwink.gif

And it's eight quid, FGSwink.gif

And in my case the underframe will go in the bin anyway (well, flog it to a club member at any rate) so its irrelevant to me but I do still think its an odd choice to make.

Oh and me using the body obviously depends on Bachmann getting the length right..

Tie-bars shouldn't be an issue for some now considering i've sold a fair few of them :lol: .

I guess it won't be hard to hack the axleboses off and replace them with MJT cast ones.

Then there is the possible situation of vehicles running with a pair of each type. One to follow up for those with sharp eyes and plenty of free time. :D

Not seen it with this diagram but it was not that unusual.

Bernard

Much more interesting than some antiquated blue DMU. The blood I sweated getting louvres to look halfway decent in conversions of the old 3H kit.

...Oh and me using the body obviously depends on Bachmann getting the length right...

Quick and dirty estimate off the screen gives a ratio of wheelbase to length over headstocks as 1:1.76. Which is nice.

Any spare chassis you cannot dispose of will be gladly received here...

• RMweb Premium
True, BR will be most popular but they'll probably do one in NE lettering which will just be wrong. If they'd fitted the original type axleboxes it would have just been right for them all and some people could then fit split BR axleboxes as they wished.

The LNER did intially use RCH-type split axleboxes, very similar to those on the above Bachmann models.

Wrong axelboxes?????

We used to be grateful for and happy with Hornby Dublo - I still am.

What's wrong with youngsters (i.e. under 60) today?

I think Bachmann is fantastic.

We have a higher datum point now, the same with all those 'when I were a lad' situations.

These are very good, its just an odd choice though maybe the person who designed and tooled the chassis was only given the one photo with new axleboxes shown.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they've been a long time coming. My only major gripe is that they have all got steel chassis. It would have been fantastic if they had been given the original wooden chassis. I used to work in the C&W Dept and remember quite well replacing solebars and headstocks of good old solid wood. I still have some of my hand tools, bought during my apprenticeship.

gresley

Archived