Unusual prototype and street running

shortliner

:blink: :blink: :blink: Did I see things right at 2:30 onwards...?!?!? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Never seen ANYTHING like that before..!!! Nor have I seen a Steam Loco Driver wearing white gloves, either... I wonder how long they last like that..?!?! :rolleyes: :D :D

Jack I don't know how you come across this stuff....!! :)

What a way to run a railway! That turntable (turnpad?) was odd enough but all that pushing of the stock and then the pantograph at the end! What was that all about?

Incidentally, what country was it?

Thanks

steve

I was a bit suspicious of the lack of leaking steam and other features of a kettle, not to mention the rapid reversal and acceleration, then I took a closer look at the views of the cab, then I did a little search and found this site. Apparently, its a diesel, but that still doesn't explain the trolley bus style electrical pickup.

Nick

Jack, I'm lost for words......what everyone else said plus "everyone at the double"! I couldn't figure out how one man was able to control the coach with one hand - presumably the pantograph was up then??

Now, I've officially seen everything - until your next posting, of course.........wonderful stuff, Jack!

Best, Pete.

Well I was going to say ,very similar to what I shall be playing with at the weekend on the Great Bush railway at Tinkers Park....Sao Domingos (0-6-0 O&K) + ex Hayling island 4 wheel coaches....until that turntable thingy appeared :wub: !!!! ..must try and talk the trustees into getting one of them ....!

and Pete you can push rolling stock that small around fairly easily on the flat .....it is when there is any kind of gradient it becomes a problem.. :O

some photos here....flickr link

Regards Trevor.. :D

I was a bit suspicious of the lack of leaking steam and other features of a kettle, not to mention the rapid reversal and acceleration, then I took a closer look at the views of the cab, then I did a little search and found this site. Apparently, its a diesel, but that still doesn't explain the trolley bus style electrical pickup.

Nick

if you read the description - in english below the japanese it does sort of explain - last two lines

Katsuyama-machi crossing.

What is attached to the roof of this train is not a bow collector (pantograph), but equipment to operate the points and control the course.

- that makes it a full scale DCC then !!!

Look at the shape of the boiler too!

The bow collector could at the end could be to allow a diesel electric to run off the worse to reduce emissions - the connectors on the outer ends of the buffer beams look electrical to me.

Have I missed the 'trolley bus style' pick ups?

I couldn't figure out how one man was able to control the coach with one hand - presumably the pantograph was up then??

and Pete you can push rolling stock that small around fairly easily on the flat

Pushing stock isn't too hard - I've had to push a couple of scrap wagons at Scunhtorpe Steelworks to clear them from a couple of derailed wagons!

What is attached to the roof of this train is not a bow collector (pantograph), but equipment to operate the points and control the course.

I think it is a bow collector, just not used as such - it will probably be a standard bit of kit to work with the overhead. Do the other trams use the overhead for points control? Tram and trolleybus systems in the UK used similar systems for 'point' control.

I think it is a bow collector, just not used as such - it will probably be a standard bit of kit to work with the overhead. Do the other trams use the overhead for points control? Tram and trolleybus systems in the UK used similar systems for 'point' control.

Yes it is. I checked it out too.

Best, Pete.

Pushing stock isn't too hard - I've had to push a couple of scrap wagons at Scunhtorpe Steelworks to clear them from a couple of derailed wagons!

I agree but he was hardly pushing it, more controlling it......

Best, Pete.

If there's a slight grade he may just be letting the brakes off and the reapplying them.

Both ways?

I found another clip of this line and this time they really were having to push them (in the rain, if you can find it). There's probably a simple answer, somewhere!

Best, Pete.

Ok,

been looking again at a few of the other clips on youtube and the "turntable" is air operated and drops from the loco onto the track ,the reason for turning in the middle of the point work is just for clearances whilst turning ...moving the coaches looks like it is done with something similar to a "caravan mover" electric motor with tyre bearing on the coach wheel,there is a switch that the guard/driver uses just above the axle box ...

I think !!!!

could and probably am wrong ... ;)

but whatever ,it is very clever .....!

Regards Trevor .. :D

RMWeb Team,

Guys n Girls, recall that the Pacific Electric line in Cal had Alco S-series diesel switchers that were equipped with trolley-poles!

Why? Because the PE's grade crossing lights were triggered from the overhead, and even diesel-powered locos needed to "trip the circuit"...

1653a_pe-44ton-chad_zentz.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolibraryarchive/3527106337/in/photostream/

Perhaps this is the same reason why the "historical" car consist has the pantograph???

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

RMWeb Team,

Guys n Girls, recall that the Pacific Electric line in Cal had Alco S-series diesel switchers that were equipped with trolley-poles!

Why? Because the PE's grade crossing lights were triggered from the overhead, and even diesel-powered locos needed to "trip the circuit"...

Perhaps this is the same reason why the "historical" car consist has the pantograph???

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Agree, good Prof., often we can be so oblique on here that the realization is not obvious in our writings......

What are you working on right now? Want to start a thread? Seriously, would like to see more of your work.

Btw that Kato model bears little resemblance to the train as a whole - oops!

In good humour.

Best, Pete.

It gets even more interesting, don't know if anyone else has seen these, but it looks like the same system has a 90 degree flat crossing of light/heavy rail, that with diesel powered 'steam' locos......!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opuxjU5fNC0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_fFsSO1C7k&feature=related

I read an article on the system, and yes it is a diesel unit, with steam effects, and the coaches are fitted with motors to move them, battery powered, charged by the diesel. The overhead is for track position, signals etc, and a phone connection, although they are radio fitted as well.

Very interesting prototype, the turntable is not unique, in the past, but these days is highly unusual to find in use.

Stephen.

Archived