The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Vans & Trucks

Mickey

Evening chaps and chapesses

Im thinking of getting some sort of van/truck to cart me and my stuff about the place - nothing major to carry, just a few tools and materials, and maybe the odd model railway....

Ive got a few friends that have such things but they tend to drive transit pic-ups or Mazda panel vans :( ....Im thinking these aint all that cool and are probably too big for my needs and certainly not something to take a lady on a date in!

My thoughts are more along the lines of a Mitsubishi L200 or similar...but I dont know which of these big 4x4 type Pick Ups are better or worse...anyone got any opinions/advice?

TiA

• RMweb Premium

Evening chaps and chapesses

Im thinking of getting some sort of van/truck to cart me and my stuff about the place - nothing major to carry, just a few tools and materials, and maybe the odd model railway....

Ive got a few friends that have such things but they tend to drive transit pic-ups or Mazda panel vans :( ....Im thinking these aint all that cool and are probably too big for my needs and certainly not something to take a lady on a date in!

My thoughts are more along the lines of a Mitsubishi L200 or similar...but I dont know which of these big 4x4 type Pick Ups are better or worse...anyone got any opinions/advice?

TiA

There are two drawbacks fuel and tyres if you can cope with these expenses then the basic truck should last for ever and a day.

Cheers Mick - I knew they would be drawbacks, but Id not thought of 'em too deeply...Tyres: the hidden expense laugh.gif but after last winter and its snow I think whatever I get has to be a 4x4...Penistone was on the TV for being cut off and I dont want that again...

• RMweb Gold

I know a couple of people with the Nissan Navara/Mit L200 type of pick up/crew cab and they are not impressed with them, they are a bit basic for a car and not much of a pick up, you would need a rear cover if you were carry anything valuable and security is not that good. They are quite juicy to run and tyres are pricey as they seem to get less mileage from them.

The reason these type of vehicles became popular is that they are a tax dodge, you get 4 seats but they are classed as a commercial vehicle, so some have made them the family car and claimed the VAT back as well as getting the depreciation knocked off the books.

There are lots of other vans that are cheaper to run and more comfy than one of these, I know they are not a 4X4 but this last winter I have an old Nissan Cabstar and I had less trouble with just rear wheel drive, although I did keep a bit of weight in the back over the rear axle (sharp sand that I could use as grit if I had to)

Dave

• RMweb Premium

If I had the cash a volvo v70 awd would be my choice preferably a D5 if they make one. My brother in law has a V70R a beastie with FWD and just under 300bhp which would be fun in the snow but the same fuel and tyres expense.

I have a van plan (anyone that knows me is now cringing and burying their head in their hands...).

If you are looking at something along the L200 lines, you're going to have about as much storage space as a Mini, due to the back being a pick-up bed. The solution is to get a cover type thing, but they aren't that secure, (the Ford Ranger we had at work jsut needed a good twist on the handle and it opened, key or not).

Transit Connect?

Astra Van? Used to drive an Astra Van, either 1.7 or 1.9 CDTIs, they're really quick (when empty), and not too unstylish...?

I drive a Mercedes Sprinter at work, it's a 56 reg with fair mileage on the clock and no problems so far other than tyres. 3.1 litre engine gives you plenty of power, though I expect the vehicle is bigger than you're looking for.

The reason these type of vehicles became popular is that they are a tax dodge, you get 4 seats but they are classed as a commercial vehicle, so some have made them the family car and claimed the VAT back as well as getting the depreciation knocked off the books.

Dave

this was the case but sometime last year our dear friends the government sorted that one out for themselves us.

The 110 is not bad. MPG is on the high side, but it is comparable with the Nissan Navara plus you get the retro looks.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

If you are looking at something along the L200 lines, you're going to have about as much storage space as a Mini, due to the back being a pick-up bed. The solution is to get a cover type thing, but they aren't that secure, (the Ford Ranger we had at work jsut needed a good twist on the handle and it opened, key or not).

Adding something useful to the thread, we also have Ford Rangers at work in use 365/24/7. They are uneconomical, uncomfortable, 'tinny' build and generally carp. I'd avoid them like the plague, the only range they should be connected with is an artillery one. As a target ...

If you are looking at something along the L200 lines, you're going to have about as much storage space as a Mini

You'll be surprised how much room there is in a Mini van.

Classic, retro and a van. What more could one want?

Ok - maybe reliability :lol:

A friends workplace have a few Ford Rangers :(.... Ill not be going down that route (unless they give them away)...but the nes style tranny look fairly useful I must admit that....

the nes style tranny look fairly useful I must admit that....

They've got a really stiff and annoying gear change... I preferred the previous model (with the gear stick mounted on the floor) as it was much nicer to drive. And the clutch is really heavy... The Renault Trafic/Vauxhall Vivaro is much better...

Octavia or the estate version both have hugh boots and you keep the car look. These are some of the vehicles that are consistently towards the top of the JD Power survey. Cheap to buy yet built with VW/AUDI parts.

The trouble is, when you buy a bigger vehicle (I have had a Citroen Synergy and now a C8) every man and his dog wants to borrow it. As Arthur Daly said "A friend in need is a pain in the a$$."

The people carrier option isn't a bad one. I have a '99 Renault Megane Scenic RXE 1.9 Diesel. It's very comfy, has a fair spec, is safe and secure, gives about 45mpg, has a low insurance group and was under a grand! I can get my 14x6ft L shaped 'N' gauge in the back as well (one of the reasons I bought it!)

Andy.

Archived