Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

An animated scene at Rhyl during remodelling. Hand signalling was the order of the day as 150 120 working the 12.33 Crewe-Llandudno crawls past 150136 heading the 12.30 Holyhead-Stalybridge on 14th January 1990. 47010 stands on the occupied Down Fast line....

post-6680-0-32782300-1348063413.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

An animated scene at Rhyl during remodelling. Hand signalling was the order of the day as 150 120 working the 12.33 Crewe-Llandudno crawls past 150136 heading the 12.30 Holyhead-Stalybridge on 14th January 1990. 47010 stands on the occupied Down Fast line....

post-6680-0-32782300-1348063413.jpg

That's not me on top is it ?

Merf

Railwaymen told me there was one photographer on the platform at Dinting when the 1980s derailment started and that he ran like hell. Wise move when wagons leave tracks, as there is no knowing where either will go once the dynamic forces are unleashed.

Richard Kaye had an article published in TRACTION 200 (Nov/Dec 2011) covering this, complete with his photographs of the event. Impressive photos and I think it's fair to say that he was lucky in a number of respects.

I must get a better indexing system; it took me a while to find this!

I didn't actually witness it, but I arrived at Paddington just a few minutes after 50 041 derailed with the Up Sleeper on 23/11/83. I was on my way into Padd on the Metropolitan line from Hammersmith, en route to Old Oak for a shed turn and there was still some dust hanging in the air as we came past. I could see the rear of the train still upright near Royal Oak but as we got closer to the front it was clear all was not well. Getting off the tube and walking round to platform 8 you could have heard a pin drop that morning. My colleague Dave Hewiitt was secondman on Paddington A Pilot when it happened and he and his driver climbed on top of 50 041 to help it's driver out of the cab. The following week I was on one of the ballast jobs during the clearing up operation, it was fascinating to see how quickly, relative to today, that everything was put back to normal.

• RMweb Gold
By all means Martin. Though personally I feel you've cropped off slightly too much.

Hmm. Maybe. But the break between the vehicles destroys the lines. Ideally you would have pressed the shutter 1 second earlier, so that the distracting "1" on the door could be cropped out without losing the lamp post. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. smile.gif

Or maybe it can:

post-1103-0-76881900-1348268935.jpg

Thanks for a classic pic.

Martin.

• Like 1

Nothing very "Creative" about this photo of No.40 2-8-0 Baldwin built in 1925 for the Lancaster & Chester Railway Co. of South Carolina.

Now owned by the New Hope and Ivyland Railroad of New Hope, PA. Photo just cropped a little by IPhoto.

post-9016-0-93776800-1348276198_thumb.jpg

No trespassing, I'm standing at the end of the platform as it comes around a passing loop to the front of the train, having just taken on water.

Best, Pete.

PS That is the Fireman's backside projecting out of the cab door on the left (as you look at it). He was in the process of climbing aboard.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

I lost this image after a disaster with the PC some years back, which led me to pack in photing trains. But this morning I found a 10 X 8 printout, which I have scanned back onto my computer. I was at Rhosniegr (near the airfield) mainly to include the gorse in my pictures but the Red Arrows practicing for the weekends event was an additional bonus...

If it had been anyone but you, Coach, I would have suspected that the aircraft had been Photoshopped in!