Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

The U Boat hauls the 15:00 ex-Sheffield Park service through West Hoathley tunnel.... Camera balanced on window at 1600ISO and -2 exp and hoping for the best. Today. Quite nice steam effect as the loco hauls us up the gradient... with the fire illuminating above.

post-8351-0-79591000-1344803097_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

A Class 101 meanders down the Lledr Valley in the 1980s on a Blaenau Ffestiniog-Llandudno working. A standard ¾-view except that the train was framed between the fencing and held back so as to show a lot more of the scenery....

post-6680-0-28888400-1345327418.jpg101@Dolwydellan.jpg[/email]]

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

Taken last week at Grosmont on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. The 9F is named Cock O' the North. Isn't another engine of that name under construction?

It's a little irritating that a name, which to many people means a particular iconic locomotive, has been so used.

From the NYMR website:

"The name was suggested by Valerie Walter, the Company Secretary of PV Premier, whose grandfather served with the Gordon Highlanders during the First World War, with no prior knowledge of the name having been used by the LNER in the 1930s for a very similar type of engine"

Still, I suppose it could have been named something like "Gordon, The Big Black Engine".

• Like 1

It's a little irritating that a name, which to many people means a particular iconic locomotive, has been so used.

From the NYMR website:

"The name was suggested by Valerie Walter, the Company Secretary of PV Premier, whose grandfather served with the Gordon Highlanders during the First World War, with no prior knowledge of the name having been used by the LNER in the 1930s for a very similar type of engine"

Still, I suppose it could have been named something like "Gordon, The Big Black Engine".

Wasn't there an electric loco (86 or 87) with that name as well?

Wasn't there an electric loco (86 or 87) with that name as well?

Yes, Class 87, No. 87022; sorry - I tend to forget that blue boxes of the electric persuasion are locomotives too. Though I don't think that that one (which was eventually shipped off to Bulgaria) would be many people's dream loco.

• RMweb Gold

Enfield Lock station, 1974. The crossing is still there, but the 'box is long gone, as is the cyclist I would imagine. Picture taken with a cheap and not very cheerful 400mm telephoto lens from the station footbridge.

post-7291-0-95683900-1345405631_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
Although I've developed a distaste for tilt-shift as it seems every documentary director now uses it.

I never liked it or could see the point. The out-of-focus areas are unpleasantly distracting and make you think your glasses need cleaning.

Martin.

• Like 1

That's about as close as you'll see to two rail vehicles shaking hands ;)

I thought that when I found it while looking for something else.

Here's some wet HSTs, both taken 21 July 09 - the British summer haha

post-6899-0-71043800-1345456516_thumb.jpg

post-6899-0-01461500-1345456518_thumb.jpg

jo

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

There's a time and place for skilled users of tilt-shift and I'm afraid I agree with others that the two Melbourne images don't "do it" for me either. That said every effect we can achieve probably has its uses at times.

On the tilt-shift effect, yes, it does get a bit over-used, akin to the jumpy TV camera work used in Nigella's cookery programmes and everywhere else. Having said that, BP21's first shot got my "Like This" because my first (and second) reaction was "that's a nice bit of modelling".

• Like 1