Glenuig

sixteen 12by 10s

Hi Jamie

really looking forward to visiting the big tin shed, and there is free training available on the NCE powercab, over the weekend!. The weekend has worked out well, we usually have a brake at this time of year so i had some time off work available, so after the show closes, we are off to the west, who could resist a few nights at the George at inveraray!

Gary

Hi Eddie

I am aware of the wee shop opposite, and always try to book the room that overlooks the shop, it has the best view in the hotel! 

Just got back from Stafford, and i seam to have spent most of the day under the base boards sorting out a dodgy Fulgurex point motor, i did have a spare but i just couldn't get on with it. Stayed a little after the show, and the offending item has now been replaced with a Colbolt unit. Of all the ones that could have failed it had to be  the loco release point. I must apologize for some on the operating, this was mainly due to letting a real railwayman lose with the controls!

Hoping for a better day tomorow

Gary

Hi all

back from Stafford, and i can report that the gulls where about the only thing that behaved. Another point failure towards the end, of the show, and i have a big snagging list to work through before Glasgow. 

other than the problems, i have had a very enjoyable time, and having solved my operator problems, i found myself at a loose end, and ended up walking round and seeing the other exhibits. great to see so many of you, and sorry if i didn't  recognize you. 

So, preparations to start, for the visit north of the boarder, see you in a few weeks time.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Well he glen is boxed up and ready for the off. A lot of work has been done since Stafford show, all the point motors have been removed and most of the micro switches replaced with V4 type, and the motors now attached to the board with a quick change system. 

So off north we shall go, to the ends of the M74, please pop by and say hallo, and make yourself known, i am hopeless with faces.

All that remains now,  is to get the layout and the missus luggage in the car, wish me luck!

Gary

Hi Gary,

You seem to have had a rough time! Can only get better when you hit the high road - there's something about the air up here :sungum: - it's  !!!?????!!!!! freezing :O .

Bill

Bill last time i was up your way in the winter, was three years ago, the weather was fantastic -9C

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9507661@N07/6864295715/

Gary 

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

Good to meet you on Saturday. It was a shame I had to dash off.

Anyway, it was great to see Glenuig "in the flesh" too. It looks just as good if not better as it does in your pics. It's incredible how much atmosphere you have packed into the space.

I think a subtle soundtrack of seagulls would be the finishing touch to a fabulous layout. It might drive you mad after a while, mind!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

Hope you had a safe trip back home. It was great to meet you this weekend and very much enjoyed seeing your layout. We knew it was good from the photos but seeing it for real was even better as you got the full atmosphere and sounds to complete the scene.

Will hopefully see you back up here when the new layout is ready.

All the best

Mark

Hi Mark, pleasure to meat you,  and see you creation! We are now back home, and i am back at work. We both had a smashing time, and yes would love to return at some point. Glenuig will now go into its storage place for the next 6 weeks, and the slate quarry needs a look at before Maccalsfield, 

Glenuig's next show will be Sutton Coalfield 27-28/04/13

David, mail revived, will do

Blog to follow shortly

Gary

• 7 months later...

Hi

You just missed one yesterday!

Next shows

Alsager 16-17/11/13

Southampton 25-26/01/14

Stourbridge 12-13/04/14

DEMU showcase 1/05/13-1/06/13

More to follow, I am now getting bookings for 2017

Not a lot to say about the layout really, other than the usual maintenance, I operated it yesterday, for 2and a half hours, with only one snag, a coupling not dropping, no sticking no derailments, its just become a pleasure to operate. The “operational, problems still exist, me talking to the public instead of concentrating on what’s going on, and one particular snag yesterday, trying to eat fish and chips with those seagulls attacking.

Gary

Gary

Just a question. Will Glenuig be on the show scene any where this Winter. Its a long while since I saw it, and I am still working on a E M layout that was inspred by Glenuig .

Regards and best wishes

Pete.s  

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to drag this up the top where people can find it again.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this at DEMU and was seriously tempted with a 27 off Charlie's stand as a result but there are other layouts I should be spending that on at present ;)

Good to say hello again Gary but let the layout do most of the talking this time. Great layout and proof that you can do a lot in a small space without overcrowding it.

While I can't justify a separate layout for my Highland locos I'm going to have an alternate set of buildings to allow me to run Lulworth with a highland flavour at home for now. (And I'll blame you when the missus wonders what the xxxx I'm doing to it now ;) )

• Like 2

Hi all

Good to talk to you Paul. I have not posted on here for some time, not really any reason other than the lack of news concerning the layout. Its settled down into a routine now, Go to a show operate for a few days, put it away, get the layout out a week or two before the next one and go through the maintenance and snagging list.

DEMU was show number 17, and its good to see that I am still getting good feedback on it, and a lot more shows to go. Running wise, Ok but the Sprat and winkles are still giving me grief, a good maintenance session is needed on these and a re think on the stock box to stop them getting knocked around in transit.

New to the layout, is the SAU Mk3, (Seagull action unit) photos to follow, and to complement it, a full surround sound system to annoy the hell out of adjacent exhibitors,……sorry to add ambience to the scene.

Thanks all for your interest, think its about time I sorted some new photos out, watch this space

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Due to our BT pole being disconnected I never got a chance to say how much I enjoyed seeing your layout at DEMU2014. I have some pictures, which I will pop up if your ok.

I also enjoyed the seagulls and was amazed when you said how cheaply you had managed to sort them. I wondered afterwards if you added them to something less rigid (the down wires) whether they would look even better....but i am sure you have already considered and discounted this. I also liked the sign writing. Although these two items caught my immediate attention I was really impressed with the finer detailing throughout the whole layout. 

• 5 months later...

Its that time again, time to get Glenuig out of the cellar and into daylight. Show number 20, the big one, and the third show in 4 weeks. I have not had much to report, and after this one is out the way I have a few months to catch up on some modelling, there has been a bit of a routine, do a show, do the repairs and the maintenance, and then to the next.

One development, is the MK3 SMA, yes the ultimate in flying bird realism, the Seagull mobile actuator, seeing is believing, so please come and visit, at stand D32 NEC, behind Black country blues, you will recognize me from my broad Black country accent.   :yes:

post-7480-0-54072000-1416519378_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary

Evening AP

Hope the seagulls don't go into orbit again as Alstone Quay NEC F16 could be a suitable layout for them to land on.

See you over the weekend

Terry