pendolino for east coast

The stinky toilets on Pendos (and Voyagers) are partly caused by the effluent tanks being mounted inside the train. Most other DMUs & EMUs have the tank mounted on the underframe. Internal tanks are not only smelly but take up space that could be used to improve the seating layout. I guess the tilt mechanisms take up underframe space forcing the effluent tank to be moved inside.

• RMweb Premium

If as has been said above the smells are due to the design of the plumbing may be its because the toilet modules were built IIIRC in Bahrain, perhaps they used local plumbing in the design.

Jamie

If as has been said above the smells are due to the design of the plumbing may be its because the toilet modules were built IIIRC in Bahrain, perhaps they used local plumbing in the design.

xArab%20toilet.JPG

Can you see the rails whizzing past when you flush ??!!

Arab toilets ? It gets worse, wait till the Chinese are building our trains.

2683022317_2f997112fe.jpg

Brit15

Can you see the rails whizzing past when you flush ??!!

Arab toilets ? It gets worse, wait till the Chinese are building our trains.

Laba-Tory ?

Nah, can't see that coalition working to be honest.

Guest Max Stafford

When I was in Germany last year I boarded an ICE at Berlin Hbf to go to Hamburg. I was a little confused at first when I went to my seat as I thought I had accidentally entered a First Class section. No folks, this was second and it was a world away from sub-standard class on a Plastolino or a Vinegar (so called because their replacement of Mk2s/86s left me a sour taste...!) ;)

Dave.

Jamie

Not sure if it's Bahrain, but one of the Gulf States has become a world leader in the design and supply of pre-assembled bathroom modules for hotels and similar institutions. No idea why, I'm afraid- perhaps the availability of cheap plastic? I suspect the smell emanating from the toilets is really a subconscious expression of what certain parties really think about the travelling public.

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if it's Bahrain, but one of the Gulf States has become a world leader in the design and supply of pre-assembled bathroom modules for hotels and similar institutions. No idea why, I'm afraid- perhaps the availability of cheap plastic? I suspect the smell emanating from the toilets is really a subconscious expression of what certain parties really think about the travelling public.

Yes I thought it was definitely in the gulf somewhere. Apparently they left a hole in the roof when assembling the body shell and then dropped the u nits in and then finished off the roof.

Jamie

Yes I thought it was definitely in the gulf somewhere. Apparently they left a hole in the roof when assembling the body shell and then dropped the u nits in and then finished off the roof.

Jamie

Eh?

Technical Resin Bonders panels (Huntingdon), EVAC vacuum toilets (Espoo, Finland), modules designed by TWR Rail (Derby).

Yes, I know the Finnish town is apt blink.gif

• 3 months later...

For those interested in the new 11 car class 390's (Temporarily for the ECML????), 390054 is currently being hauled up the WCML and heading for Liverpool TCC (Edgehill). No Virgin logos have been applied as yet.

Video clip on Youtube

recorded this morning.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I can also confirm this is running as we passed the set with the ex DRS 66 at the front just north of Long Buckby at about 10:20am

It looked very nice without the virgin logos and it's a 11 vehicle set as far as I'm aware the length of these new sets won't cause any operating issues with short platforms etc!!

As the new units now have selective door operation similar to our class 350 sets !!

I was told that part of the issue with the toilet smell on Voyagers was due to the waste outlet pipe from the toilet running alongside the exhaust pipe , obviously the exhaust pipe is hot and "bakes" the contents of the waste pipe before it reaches the tank, hence the unpleasant smell.

Should be great value for money if Virgin do not retain the franchise, brand new 11 car pendolinos being re-vinyled on 1st April 2012 before entering service with new franchise followed by the rest of the existing fleet as the 11th car is inserted, clearly if Arriva win then a plum colour overlay on teh red ends would be quick and cheap but 1st blue or Go-ahead green seems an expensive waste really..

Either wayhtere will probabably be a new livery on Pendolino,s given DFT policy of anybody but Virgin maybe whoever gains the contract will refurb the insides ie better standard class seats and decoration also will they stop the rattles but if it let for only seven years they wont bother,

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

This is probably a stupid question, but is the new set going to gain East Coast livery or stay in Virgin?

Simon

Staying with Virgin at the moment.

Here's my shots ..

West Allerton, 06/12/2010

66845, 87 414 5202-5, 390054 and 87 414 5203-3 on 6X39, 05:37, Dollands Moor - Edge Hill Downhill Sidings

(The first 11 car Pendolino)

post-6662-098925500 1291652383_thumb.jpg

post-6662-058822500 1291652415_thumb.jpg

post-6662-074368600 1291652436_thumb.jpg

Match wagons - 87 = registered for France, with French "Attention!" on the end, and German "Fahrzeuge im Betrieb... = vehicles in service...

Any more info? They look pretty much like the standard continental flats you used to get around on the ferry traffic pre-tunnel through Kent, even down to the lashing points?

I guess they have to paint it some colour or other, the de-branded VT livery has already been designed and approved, and at least the tenth and 11th coaches fitted into 9-car units will start out in the same livery.

I'd like to think DfT can follow the lead of Transport Scotland (or even London Buses) and specify a "neutral" livery for West Coast, perhaps even the very same de-branded VT, with the operator just having a stick-on logo on each coach. In these times of austerity I don't see why franchises have to spend taxpayers money* re-liverying just so the operator can spread their corporate image.

*Before anyone points it out, I'm aware that the West Coast franchise will probably pay a premium, but this would be reduced by the costs associated with unnecessary repaints.

Thanks for the wagon pics - looks like "Fahrzeuge im Betrieb nicht entkuppeln" - "do not uncouple vehicles in service" , which seems like a sensible idea.

Perhaps it means when the pair are coupled together, don't separate them as the inner coupling is different.

Are they socking great lumps of iron (i.e. ballast in a shipping sense) inside the wagons?

Here's the thing I was thinking of, in 1984, a Belgian version:

post-6971-045054900 1291658339_thumb.jpg

Archived