Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

For sometime we have been looking for a large modern type shuntting locomotive for operating within the main yards on GTD.At Tunsead, at present there is a central cab 6 wheeled bogie engine and we wanted one like this, but todate have not found anything that we really liked untill the other weekend at Bakewell show with Glen Gillie. The Winfield group lads had their Stonedale layout there and on it a super heavy duty shunting loco in the Quarry yard. This was a Mehano model of a Vossloh G 2000 loco which they had modified a little The guy who suppied was selling continental models and looked to see if he had one left from some years ago. On the Sunday morning he produced one which was quickly snapped up. This will now be Anglicised with a few alterations for use as our main shunter in Privatised era. :no:

post-6915-0-88136000-1339947658.jpg

post-6915-0-52807800-1339947669.jpg

post-6915-0-24576000-1339947681.jpg

post-6915-0-92539500-1339947689.jpg

post-6915-0-87424200-1339947701.jpg

post-6915-0-32684100-1339947711.jpg

Cheers Peter

• Like 4

When is the layout to be exhibited I hope soon?

Hi Imsforever

As soon as we get an invite. sent the details to many of the larger clubs but to date no takers. Trouble is it is a van hire and car costs from North Wales.

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

I love the loco's colour - I mean livery. It really looks the part. Will it be in private ownership?

Polly.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

I love the loco's colour - I mean livery. It really looks the part. Will it be in private ownership?

Polly.

Hi Polly

Yes it will be only used in the yard.

Hi Ray.

Yes still walking around with the sore head and body :boast: :angel: :O

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter. Has anything been happening with GTD of late?

Hi

Not very much. Have been spending most of my time on the extension to Glen Gillie. I have the new shunting diesel on the work bench ready to alter the paint job to Dale Lime firms and a Few other items. Also the RTR version of the ICI hoppers has taken up some of the time getting the info together for the firm that will do them hopeful by this time next year. We also have moved the layout at the unit so that the whole of the front scenic section is up and operable.. Will take a few shots after my hols next week and post them.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter

This is a fantastic layout which I have been following with interest. As I come from Buxton where my dad was the 'union man' who looked after most of the workers in all the areas quarries it certainly brings back the memories for me. When I was a nipper I often waited in the car at the quarries whilst he was on union business.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

Hi

Not very much. Have been spending most of my time on the extension to Glen Gillie. I have the new shunting diesel on the work bench ready to alter the paint job to Dale Lime firms and a Few other items. Also the RTR version of the ICI hoppers has taken up some of the time getting the info together for the firm that will do them hopeful by this time next year. We also have moved the layout at the unit so that the whole of the front scenic section is up and operable.. Will take a few shots after my hols next week and post them.

Cheers

Peter

Eagerly awaiting those RTR ICI hoppers, are we allowed to know the firm that are taking them on?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have only just come across the Great Tunsley Dale thread, and apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but how are the rocks modelled that are so prominent at the rear of the layout? They (and the rest of layout!) look superb - well done.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi,

I have only just come across the Great Tunsley Dale thread, and apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but how are the rocks modelled that are so prominent at the rear of the layout? They (and the rest of layout!) look superb - well done.

Richard

Hi Richard

Yes, I have to agree Peter does mate the rock really well and puts a lot of effort into achieving the look he want...

I will try and dig some photos out to upload for you...

Jamie

• Like 1

Eagerly awaiting those RTR ICI hoppers, are we allowed to know the firm that are taking them on?

Hi Spackz

I cannot say just yet who the people are that is going to have them produced but the firm that will be manufacturing them for us we hope will be Dapol? They should be ready late next year. I and Paul have supplied drgs and information already to them but apart from this I cant say any more.

Regards

Peter

Edited by trains12

Hi,

Richard

Hi Richard

No problem below is a discrpiion of how the rock faces are made from an early post. I hope this helps but please ask any other questions you need to know.

The rock faces are all hand carved. I first build up the foundation of the land contours using builders insulation sheets (or packaging polystyrene) cut and carved to the required contours of the land using an old carving seratted knife.

I then use a roughing plaster or undercoat plaster with some burnt umber powder paint added and mix it to a nice thick consistancy ( like wipped cream where you can put the bowel over your head but please dont do that). Dont do a lot at a time , I find an old ice cream tub about half filled is about right. It is then put onto the poly using artists palette knives in different sizes. When the plaster is getting tacky it is then carved using fine palette knives and scribes tto obtain the desired effect. It is then painted with poster paints when dry. I find the acrylic paints dont seem to want to adhere and cover on the rough plaster due I think to the chemicals that are added to it. A final dusting, if needed. is done using weathering powders.

Have put a few shots of when I was doing the quarry entrance tunnel.

hope this has helped.

Cheers peter

Attached Thumbnails

• post-6915-0-76146800-1318848617.jpg
  • post-6915-0-87934800-1318848624.jpg
  • post-6915-0-50954900-1318848628.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No problem below is a discrpiion of how the rock faces are made from an early post. I hope this helps but please ask any other questions you need to know.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for that - very impressive. Both the process behind it, and the end result. Looks superb. Certainly given me food for thought - thanks for the insight.

Rich

Hi Spackz

I cannot say just yet who the people are that is going to have them produced but the firm that will be manufacturing them for us we hope will be Dapol? They should be ready late next year. I and Paul have supplied drgs and information already to them but apart from this I cant say any more.

Regards

Peter

Thankyou Peter,

Always had a interest in these wagons and type of traffic, I constantly put them on wishlists. Dapol will definately do them justice if they are up to the quality of recent releases and will be purchasing a few.

Tunsley Dale still impresses me.

Cheers

Paul